Burn24 Ready or Not.- Mtbr.com
    HTFU!

Burn24 Ready or Not.

For me the answer is "Not".
    Getting injured during PMBAR and then coming down with Pink eye and some throat virus has led to one day on the SS in three weeks, the only preparation I have completed for the Burn is my excuse list (and it is a long one). I guess you cup-half full joe's would say that I am well rested. Well, so is Elvis, maybe he will show up and kick my ass!
    This is to be my first solo 24 effort (rode on a team last year), and now it also looks to be a wet one. Things just keep getting better.
    I no longer deserve a signature. :skep:

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by IMHO
    For me the answer is "Not".
    Getting injured during PMBAR and then coming down with Pink eye and some throat virus has led to one day on the SS in three weeks, the only preparation I have completed for the Burn is my excuse list (and it is a long one). I guess you cup-half full joe's would say that I am well rested. Well, so is Elvis, maybe he will show up and kick my ass!
    This is to be my first solo 24 effort (rode on a team last year), and now it also looks to be a wet one. Things just keep getting better.

Good luck with that I did a few Solo Singlespeed 6 hour races last year and it hurts.
    Riding PMBAR 12 hours seemed easier than 6 hours at race pace with no breaks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Oh yea.....it is going to be interesting
    "To finish first, you must first finish"

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    is it too late to train for this?

mtbr member
    It's not too late train or register for that matter. We've got a few spots left. Join us!

It's not going to rain! I've been wearing my mud tires on my neck all week to ward off the rain clouds and home in the aliens

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    IMHO, come on out...it's going to be a blast! I just started training Sat, went up and did 5 flying laps.
    You will not find a better event or group of people....End of story

HTFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by crackednipples
    IMHO, come on out...it's going to be a blast! I just started training Sat, went up and did 5 flying laps.
    You will not find a better event or group of people....End of story
    Oh, I will definitely be there. Rode as part of a team last year (my first Burn) and loved the event. It was like a mini mountainbike woodstock. Say hello when you pass a short, old, bald guy lookin' really tired and going really slow on his white single speed, I am sure I would appreciate a few words of encouragement, especially at ~3am.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Will do......I am sporting a BikeSource kit riding a Stumpjumper SS this year. We will have plenty of time to chat being solo's

Quote Originally Posted by IMHO
    Oh, I will definitely be there. Rode as part of a team last year (my first Burn) and loved the event. It was like a mini mountainbike woodstock. Say hello when you pass a short, old, bald guy lookin' really tired and going really slow on his white single speed, I am sure I would appreciate a few words of encouragement, especially at ~3am.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    What's the climbing like at Dark Mtn? Videos only show the fun flowy parts going down...so i know the ups are there. Course profile looks real "spikey".

mtbr member
    As far as the climbing goes, yes there certainly is some. While Dark Mountain is an excellant ride I would hesitate to classify it as a "flowy trail". Dark Mountain is the oldest of the trails designed and built by the Brushy Mt. Cycling Club at Kerr Scott Lake. Much more of an old school trail (and add wear and tear) than new school. I would use the term "peaks and valleyish" instead of "spikey". Nobody wants to sit through a video showing poor souls slooging up the inclines ....The climbs are like the decents, long but not a dramatic grade of change, just constant. Therefore, yes you will climb . Break the trail down into sections, one section you are flying down, the next section you area creeping up, then repeat.

The longer the ride - the better the pain

Happy, in the woods.
    Nov 2008
    The nature of the climbing changes with how many laps you've already done. Around lap 20-somethin they start to feel pretty big and mean.
    Abba Zaba, you my only friend....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i'm sure at 3AM the climbs will feel bigger than they are.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    does anyone know if wilkesboro got hammered with rain last night? forecast is changing hourly...

spec4life???..smh...
    Im sure this is to late but yes this has been the worst week so far this year as far as severity of storm here in wilkes...rain every evening.

Good luck to those who are racing though aside from a few spots the trails should dry out pretty quick...

HTFU!

Results!

The results are up at: http://www.burn24hour.com/

I could not have expected a better outcome for my first 24 solo...the longest, hardest event I have ever experienced. Great event, great time. And it sure was a treat meeting guys like Sackett, Hagerty and so many others...when guys like that are telling you that you're looking good out there, well that is pretty inspiring even for an old guy like me.
    Good times!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jbumk View Post
    It's not too late train or register for that matter. We've got a few spots left. Join us!

It's not going to rain! I've been wearing my mud tires on my neck all week to ward off the rain clouds and home in the aliens
    sorry, I wasn't able to make it, its in my future though!

Pirate Race Productions
    Apr 2005
    I'll be doing my best to imitate the awesometude of the Burn at the Mike High 6&9HR at Beech Mountain July 30. Check out the info at www.BeechMTB.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by IMHO View Post
    The results are up at: http://www.burn24hour.com/

I could not have expected a better outcome for my first 24 solo...the longest, hardest event I have ever experienced. Great event, great time. And it sure was a treat meeting guys like Sackett, Hagerty and so many others...when guys like that are telling you that you're looking good out there, well that is pretty inspiring even for an old guy like me.
    Good times!
    Yep....Always great! Good meeting you too

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Will it remain a 4.5 mile loop or do you expect more trail to be ready by then?

Members who have read this thread: 0