Burn 24 Hour course info- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Burn 24 Hour course info

Does anyone have any updated info for the course being used for the Burn 24 Hour race on the Dark Mtn Trail. I'm driving down from Toronto to do the race solo so obviously I have never done the trails. How long is it? How much climbing? Rocky? Rooty? Technical? What is the weather like at this time of year? Just trying to get a feel from what I have in store for myself. You'll recognize me by my pasty white legs, Blue Turner Burner, and my North American Endurance Team jerseys. I am really excited to try the NC trails....I have heard they are great....I've been to Raleigh more times than I can count (but never ridden) and think NC is a beautiful state. See everyone next weekend!

Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by sperky
    Does anyone have any updated info for the course being used for the Burn 24 Hour race on the Dark Mtn Trail. I'm driving down from Toronto to do the race solo so obviously I have never done the trails. How long is it? How much climbing? Rocky? Rooty? Technical? What is the weather like at this time of year? Just trying to get a feel from what I have in store for myself. You'll recognize me by my pasty white legs, Blue Turner Burner, and my North American Endurance Team jerseys. I am really excited to try the NC trails....I have heard they are great....I've been to Raleigh more times than I can count (but never ridden) and think NC is a beautiful state. See everyone next weekend!
    Just rode it yesterday and they're in great shape, but there are a couple of places that could be trouble if it rains. Right now expect 60's at night and 80's during the day. Pretty humid more often than not and almost always a chance of thunder storms late in the afternoon. It's right at about 6 miles, not really technical, but some great singletrack riding. Not a lot of climbing, but there's a short, steep, double track climb to begin with, some singletrack switchback climbs almost halfway through, and a longish middle ring climb towards the end. A fast lap is in the neighborhood of 45 min. Last I heard, there are about 180 people pre-registered at this point, and about 30 of those are solo riders. Good luck and if you see a guy on a blue and gold racerx, say hi.

mtbr member

Weather report

If it rains, there will be some pretty nasty, no-traction-at-all red clay/mud. I noticed it in a couple of short sections, mostly climbing.

We've been having hit-or-miss thunderstorms in the late afternoons/early evenings, so be prepared. It could HAIL two miles down the road and you may not even get wet. (Happened to me last weekend). Also, bring plenty of water and electrolytes. The humidity has been very high lately, and afternoon temps have been around 90.