Brunswick MTB Festival, Leland NC Oct 13th and 14th!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Brunswick MTB Festival, Leland NC Oct 13th and 14th!

Cape Fear SORBA is proud to announce the Brunswick MTB Festival, presented by Leland NC! This event will take place on Oct 13th and 14th at the Brunswick Nature Park in beautiful Leland, NC! Below you will find information on the event including a sample of activities that will take place and info on the Brunswick Brawl 6/3 hour endurance race.

For more information on the event please visit our website

CAPEFEARSORBA.COM]

October 13th, 2012: DAY 1
    In addition to the organized events of the Coastal Land Trust Family Fun Day which attracted more that 700+ people last year, Cape Fear SORBA will be hosting a variety of activities, including an off-road race, that will represent the Cape Fear regions off-road cycling community (participation in all activities is free except for Sundayís MTB endurance race). This yearís event will include:

Guided group rides for all skill levels
    A skills area and skill clinic for adults
    Bicycle maintenance classes
    Fund raising events (Daily raffles and giveaways)
    International Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day events including
    Childrenís group rides (Beginner level)
    A Bicycle Rodeo to aid children in developing better cycling skills
    Child-specific Skills area

This year Cape Fear SORBA is offering this event in a new 6/3 hour endurance format! This event will take place at the new and constantly changing Brunswick Nature Park, as this event is a part of the larger Brunswick MTB Festival on Oct 13th and 14th, 2012. This weekend is for everyone from family gathering to the hardcore racer!

The Brunswick Brawl will take place Oct 14th, 2012 from 11am to 5pm.
    Race Category Options:
    Menís Solo 6 Hour: Registration $50
    Womenís Solo 6 Hour: Registration $50
    Open Duo 6 Hour: Registration $100
    Menís Solo 3 Hour: Registration $30
    Womenís Solo 3 Hour: Registration $30

Registration is open for this event!

We will have CASH PAYOUTS to top 3 in each class in addition to swag! How much cash?
    MINIMUM $1500 spread out to all categories. So you are racing for CASH, SWAG, and BRAGGING RIGHTS.

Course will be approx 7 miles long and include mostly singletrack. EVERY racer gets a swag bag and t-shirt as long as you register at least two weeks before the event! In addition, all racers will be fed by the Proud Purveyors of Pork!

More information will be posted as we get it. Special thanks to our title sponsor the City of Leland, NC as well as our supporting sponsors: The Bicycle Gallery, Tombo Bike Tours, Eastern MTB Tours, BikeCycles, Two Wheeler Dealer, TrySports, Which Wich Superior Sandwiches, Dirt Rag Magazine, The Proud Purveyors of Pork, and Brinson and Sons Heating and Air.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Happy to say we now have banners on both the right side and above the NC and SC forums wahoo!

Also proud to introduce our newest sponsor: Zipquest zip-line adventures! Come out to the fest and try and win a great zip line package worth over $300!

Hope to see you out there!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    So i hate to act like I am bumping this post but news like this deserves to be told.

Cape Fear SORBA, the club hosting this event, has gotten word that we have $20,000 to spend via Brunswick County to work on and do more improvements to this trail that must be spent by the end of September. What does this mean?

That means that if you thought our trails were tame...THEY WON'T BE FOR MUCH LONGER!

We have Rock Gardens (big ones), drops, berms, rollers etc all planned for this trail. Its not something you will want to miss. We expect it will soon become a DESTINATION for mtbers in North and South Carolina.

So all I have to say, is you better be there for this one.

lamer
    I might be a little confused, but looking at the calendar of the Coastal Land Trust it seems that the Brunswick Family Fun Day is Oct 6. Do they have the date wrong, or are these two events not on the same weekend?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Ha, yes that date is incorrect. The date of the fun day is most certainly the 13th of October.

mtbr member
    Pretty sweet..I wish we had some stuff like this where I live...Im envious!
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    We now have our Event Accommodations page up and ready to view! Here are the highlights.

Comfort Suites Magnolia Greens and Best Western PLUS Westgate Inn and Suites have teamed up to offer the lowest discounted rates exclusively available to attendees of the Brunswick MTB Festival and participants of The Brunswick Brawl!

You can book at either of these amazing properties for the discounted rates of $89/night for a King or $99 for a 2 Queen!

This is in addition to other weekend long packages that include family and golf packages, if riding your bike just isn't enough!

For more details go here: Event Accommodations | Cape Fear SORBA | Wilmington, NC

You must book your room by September 28th to take advantage of these special rates! So book soon! See you at the Fest!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by llamma View Post
    I might be a little confused, but looking at the calendar of the Coastal Land Trust it seems that the Brunswick Family Fun Day is Oct 6. Do they have the date wrong, or are these two events not on the same weekend?
    your post got me curious so i went to CLT site and it actually shows date as 10/12/2012

www dot coastallandtrust dot org/clteventsCLT Events - Coastal Land Trus CLT Events - Coastal Land Trust

(which is a Friday) The festivities are Saturday and Sunday. Saturday the 13th is a community mountain bike party and the race is on Sunday. Definitely rely on the links in the banners rather than CLT website for future info (imo)

blog dot capefearsorba dot com/?page_id=69175]Brunswick MTB Fest | Cape Fear Sorba

And come early, the bluefish are running that time of year as well!

lamer
    Ya, I see where their Events page lists it as the 12th, but their Google calendar still has the event listed as the 6th. I'll see about letting them know they have the dates wrong.

I was hoping it wasn't actually the 13th as I'm already registered for the NC Tour de Cure's MTB ride @ CNF that day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Cape Fear SORBA club members went to work today building a massive Rock Garden. Check out the pictures. This is the first of many improvements that will be made to the park prior to the Festival. Get excited folks, more to come (drops, wooden rollers, and more rocks!). PS: This may or may not be included in the Brunswick Brawl...

I Love Bikes and Parts
    Jun 2009

Good job! Hell YEAH!

I am really excited about these new trails. I am spoiled with all the trails near Asheville, but used to live in Leland/Wilmington, would have never imagined mtb trails near where I used to drive past nearly every day on 133...great use of that land! kudos to you all for organizing and putting all that stuff together...can't wait to make it back to the coast to give them a ride.

Cheers,

@Shawn

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks Shawn! We've been workin hard! Hope you can make it to the coast for a little fun in October! Did you hear we have special Festival Accommodation deals

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    So the question is, Are you Faster than a Pro? Professional MTBr David Hall (who finished in the top 50 at the Leadville 100) has added the Brunswick Brawl to his race schedule! The competition just went up a level, so come on out and be apart of the Brawl!

You can check out more info on David Hall at his blog: David Hall All the Time

And you can pre-register for the Brunswick Brawl as well! Remember this, limited to the first 200 entrants.

https://www.bikereg.com/Net/17091

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Updates: Rock Garden pictured earlier is complete and WILL be included as a mandatory part of the race.

Race will now be 9 miles per lap. We have added some trail that normally is NOT allowed to be utilized for our events but we have been given special permission!

If you wish to take advantage of special Accommodation rates at our partner hotels you have until September 28th to do so. For more information please visit: Event Accommodations | Cape Fear SORBA | Wilmington, NC

We have also added a Co-Ed 6 hour duo team to the race options!

Questions welcome, hope to see you at the Fest!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brunswick MTB Festival, Leland NC Oct 13th and 14th!-260084_453888637988710_1498429506_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hello all! This information is for anyone that was wondering about camping possibilities at the fest. A local rider has graciously offered space on his property, walking distance from the park, for primitive camping.

Primitive camping next door to the festival. Limited to 8 people and 8 sites. Military showers and flushing toilet. Additional room for one school bus sized camper/rv and four more people if they have their own shower and toilet. Bring your extension cord.

If you are interested you can contact Tripp at 910-231-0209. Best part? Camping is free! It is however first come first serve.

Oh and if you guys want to see the stuff that has been built just recently at the park, we have more obstacles than last time! Check it out

10 Pics Why You Need to Go Ride BNP Very Soon! | Cape Fear SORBA | Wilmington, NC

And last reminder is that September 28th is the cutoff day to book a special rate with one of our partner hotels in Leland NC. Accommodation details can be found here: Event Accommodations | Cape Fear SORBA | Wilmington, NC

Happy Trails!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Austin- Lets see a couple pictures of the new wooden structures that I heard have been recently built out there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Why of Course! Now this is just a taste of course. Gotta come out and see it in person!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have just finished riding at Brunswick Nature Park for the first time. I was lucky to met & ride with some of the guys involved in building the trail & putting on this event. The trails are a blast to ride, the wooden structures are fun, all in all, I had a very enjoyable time.

Thanks to all that took the time to show me around!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Man I'm looking forward to riding the 3 hour event! haven't ridden BNP yet, but I think this will be fun! (coming in from New Bern btw)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick2cents View Post
    Man I'm looking forward to riding the 3 hour event! haven't ridden BNP yet, but I think this will be fun! (coming in from New Bern btw)
    You better get down there and pre-ride it before the event.

You ever ride down here in J-ville? Henderson Pond on Lejeune is a real good trail now too and we do weekly rides out there. The Bicycle Gallery is riding out there every Monday.

Fat-Tire-Underground - Index

We plan to have a couple FTU guys down there for the festival.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FastZR1 View Post
    You better get down there and pre-ride it before the event.

You ever ride down here in J-ville? Henderson Pond on Lejeune is a real good trail now too and we do weekly rides out there. The Bicycle Gallery is riding out there every Monday.

Fat-Tire-Underground - Index

We plan to have a couple FTU guys down there for the festival.
    I ride/maintain the piranha pit on cherry point mostly, I may be working out of Lejeune starting in the new year and then I'll be riding Henderson Pond more. I rode Henderson once, it was fun if a bit rooty and needing to be ridden in (it was right after it was cut).

I'll check out the FTU, we have a group of 6-8 of us that ride all the time. Oh and I would pre-ride it except I've got a brand new baby here so i'm more limited

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    For those of you that have been unaware of the recent excitement this post is to bring you up to speed! The Brunswick Nature Park has been evolving in leaps and bounds over the past month and we want to share the new wonders with you in anticipation of the Brunswick MTB Festival on Oct 13th and 14th!

The park now features multiple rock gardens, including the down and uphill garden that will be featured in the Brunswick Brawl! In addition club member David Lennard had his work crew out at Brunswick over the last couple of weeks and we now have some tremendous wooden obstacles! Check out a few pictures on our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/CFSORBA/photos_stream

Now another wonderful thing! On the 28th (aka tomorrow) it will be the last day for people traveling to the Brunswick MTB Festival to take advantage of the fantastic deals we have worked out with our partner hotels. They have been gracious enough to offer some tremendous deals, so take advantage! Link to our hotel deals: Event Accommodations | Cape Fear SORBA | Wilmington, NC

Also, if you havnít registered for the Brunswick Brawl 6/3 hour endurance race and you plan to, what gives?! Online registration ends on Oct 12th, so hustle up! Remember we need you to register asap if you want to make sure your T-Shirt size is available. After that its first come first serve! We have racers coming from all over North and South Carolina and another racer coming from Alabama! Come show them what you are made of! Register today: https://www.bikereg.com/Net/17091

Last thing! We have released our schedule for the Brunswick Family Fun Day (Oct 13th) part of the festival! Here is the rundown! Remember, in addition to the MTB events additional activities will be occurring thanks to the Coastal Land Trust! All are listed below! Cape Fear SORBA will be hosting our events all the way to about 2pm!

8:30 am: Guided Horse Rides, Hiking, & Kayaking begins
    8:30 am: Arts & Crafts, Conservation Education Booth & Cape Fear SORBA Booth
    9:00 am: Mountain Biking skills clinic for kids
    9:00 am: Group rides for kids and adults every hour ending at 2:00 pm.
    10:00 am: Bike Maintenance Clinic by Bicycle Gallery
    12:30 pm: Adult Skills Clinic by Bicycle Gallery
    Lunch at Park= Food Vendors will be available to purchase lunch from

Wear comfortable clothes and shoes, as well as a water bottle if you plan on riding bikes. The event is rain or shine, so please come prepared.

So are you excited or what?!?! I hope so! Come out and play with Cape Fear SORBA on one or both days! We have been in the news, advertisements all over the web, and more for this event. Its going to be a blast! Enjoy the fruit of the Brunswick labor and come play!

For complete info on the fest just visit our website! HostMonster!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Today is the last day to register for the Brunswick Brawl 6/3 Hour Endurance Race! 75 riders have already made the decision to Brawl, how about you?

Weather looks great, trails are primed, and there are some great events occurring at the Brunswick MTB Festival. So come out and take part! Your support will help Cape Fear SORBA continue to build more trail in the Brunswick Nature Park!

Register for the brawl here:https://www.bikereg.com/Net/17091
    Festival Info here: Brunswick MTB Fest | Cape Fear SORBA | Wilmington, NC

All funds raised that weekend will go directly back into the trail!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hey thanks for the good race! Had a blast out there! You guys have done some great things with that trail

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Very Glad that you enjoyed the race! The weekend was amazing and we had a tremendous turnout for our first endurance event at the park as well as the festival as a whole!

We have results now available
    Brunswick Brawl 2012 Final Results Are Here!! | Cape Fear SORBA | Wilmington, NC

Pictures from the event are coming in. Here are just a few of the albums
    Album 1: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1596671&type=3
    Album 2: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2752460&type=3
    Album 3: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2752460&type=3
    Album 4: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1596671&type=3

If you didn't make it this year, all hope is not lost! We are already starting to think about next years event. We hope that next year, you can come play with us!

Members who have read this thread: 0