Brevard, NC- Mtbr.com

Thread: Brevard, NC

mtbr member

Brevard, NC

I live in NE Georgia and have the opportunity to ride Blankets Creek and Chicopee Woods weekly. But after a while one is ready for new and exciting trails! I got an email from Chasing Epic Mountain Bike about a 4 Day trip this spring to Brevard for a measly $1500.00 (sarcasm deep).

If I wanted to come to that area to ride the well known trails of Brevard and even hit some Pisgah by getting in anywhere between 12-20 miles a day for 2-3 days where would be an idea place to stay (sleep) that also had good casual dining at night?

Any help and direction would greatly be appreciated. And anyone who would be interested in riding with me some would be awesome! I'm thinking late April/early May.

OMB
    OMB :thumbsup:
    2019 Yeti SB130 Turq XX1
    2017 Santa Cruz HighTower C
    2016 Specialized Fuse Comp
    2016 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Lots of good trails in the area. I like Dupont forest. Air BNB is your friend....

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBiker View Post
    I live in NE Georgia and have the opportunity to ride Blankets Creek and Chicopee Woods weekly. But after a while one is ready for new and exciting trails! I got an email from Chasing Epic Mountain Bike about a 4 Day trip this spring to Brevard for a measly $1500.00 (sarcasm deep).

If I wanted to come to that area to ride the well known trails of Brevard and even hit some Pisgah by getting in anywhere between 12-20 miles a day for 2-3 days where would be an idea place to stay (sleep) that also had good casual dining at night?

Any help and direction would greatly be appreciated. And anyone who would be interested in riding with me some would be awesome! I'm thinking late April/early May.

OMB
    There are some hotels in the area. Hampton inn is walking distance to pretty good sushi, and some beer drinking, and itís super convenient to the forest. That said, youíre driving for anything else. Thereís a motel in town, sunset I think. Itís fairly close to downtown Brevard. If youíve never been here, and are used to what you mentioned, 20 pisgah miles can be pretty huge. DuPont is a different story. Maybe focus on DuPont, and as mentioned, look for a Airbnb, close to DuPont.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    As someone that is a transplant from the same area and rode the same trails, it's worth warning you that your mileage in NE GA will feel very different here, both because of the elevation change and terrain. I won't say easier or harder, but different.

In some ways, our climbs are easier, but they are more prolonged and you'll do more climbing in a 7-10 mile ride than you do in a 20 mile ride in metro ATL area trails. Personally, I always struggled more coming back to Atlanta because I felt the climbs were more up/down and it was hard to get into a steady pace, where here you can sortof settle into a pace and grind it out, with a few exceptions. I always felt I'd go back in beast mode, but always suffered more the first few rides in GA because it was more intervals than it was steady endurance.

I'd also expect the level of difficulty you aim for in trails to be considerably different. Where the hardest trail at Blankets or Chicopee is probably in the beginner-intermediate territory around here, particularly in Pisgah. You'll have more difficult features, loose terrain, and steeper grades that require different braking and techniques.

I think the closest thing you'll find in metro Atlanta (and arguably all of GA, barring a few areas further into the mountains) would probably be the freeride area at Big Creek. Some of the trails like Typhoon (rock drop excluded), Lunch Line, and some of the older enduro lines with rock gardens and eroded sections will be a lot closer to what we have here, only shorter and slightly more sculpted.

In DuPont, you'll generally find the terrain closer to what you are used to, although instead of clay it's this sortof sandy surface. The trails there are mostly on the flowier side and not incredibly steep. The main exception is the stuff around Corn Mill Shoals (Burnt/Cedar/etc). When I have folks visit from GA, I usually do a 12-15 mile loop in DuPont once and then focus the rest of the time in Pisgah, but there is a lot to see there if that's what you are after. Personally, I think it's a shame when people come all the way up here and only ride DuPont or Bent Creek, never seeing any of Pisgah, but that's obviously up to you and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

In Pisgah, my suggestion for something that'd probably challenge you, but not make you hate life, would be to do Cove Creek and/or the bridge side (descending CW) of Daniel's Ridge. You could also consider Spencer Branch in N Mills River and possibly Trace Ridge. If you wanted to push it a little further, you could think about doing the rocky side of Daniel's Ridge (descending CCW) or Middle/Lower Black + one of the Sycamores.

Generally, the more difficult things become, the more it'll try your braking ability and your ability to handle multiple drops in quick succession (mostly rollable, just a lot of them). Compared to GA, where you may have a few difficult features here and there, those are more the norm and only get larger/more frequent the further into the difficulty scale you get.

Hopefully I'm around then, you can reach out and I'd be happy to show you around if the timing works out. I'm pretty sure we met at a few Big Creek group rides a few years ago.

What does a bean mean?!
    If you want super easy access to dining you'll want to AirBnB something close to downtown. Pilot Cove and the Hampton Inn are closest to Pisgah and an easy drive down 64 to DuPont, but there are limited close restaurants. The vast majority of the good food options are downtown.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBiker View Post

OMB
    Based on some of your other posts, I'm going to agree with others and recommend you spend more time at Dupont. You should be able to occupy yourself for your whole trip at Dupont and not ride the same trail twice, unless you actually wanted to. And Dupont still has some spots that will challenge your handling skills. I think most of the "classic" Pisgah trails are going to be above your head. A good way to work your way up to some of those more classic trails would be to do Trace and/or Spencer at the North Mills trailhead and work up from there. Thrift/lower Black/Sycamore is another good "entry" that doesn't require you to commit to too much burly way out in the forest. Lower black is a bit flowy (with plenty of rock) and Sycamore gives you tastes of the classic rooty gnar. If you feel really good on all of those (as in, they feel easy to you), then you're probably ready to move up. But with your trip just having a few days of riding, I'm not sure that you'll really be able to move past the stage of "testing" on this trip.

since 4/10/2009
    FWIW, I have stayed at the Sunset (on the S. side of Brevard) and ridden the greenway into Pisgah by the ranger station, done an Avery Crk Rd./Buckhorn/Clawhammer/Black loop and ridden back to the hotel.

You can also ride to the Bracken trailhead if you're staying in Brevard proper. I tried to ride that trail one day when I was sick, but the first steep climb didn't agree with my sick body that day.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Based on some of your other posts, I'm going to agree with others and recommend you spend more time at Dupont. You should be able to occupy yourself for your whole trip at Dupont and not ride the same trail twice, unless you actually wanted to. And Dupont still has some spots that will challenge your handling skills. I think most of the "classic" Pisgah trails are going to be above your head. A good way to work your way up to some of those more classic trails would be to do Trace and/or Spencer at the North Mills trailhead and work up from there. Thrift/lower Black/Sycamore is another good "entry" that doesn't require you to commit to too much burly way out in the forest. Lower black is a bit flowy (with plenty of rock) and Sycamore gives you tastes of the classic rooty gnar. If you feel really good on all of those (as in, they feel easy to you), then you're probably ready to move up. But with your trip just having a few days of riding, I'm not sure that you'll really be able to move past the stage of "testing" on this trip.
    This. And Iíll add cove creek as an easier pisgah option. And itís got banging views and is a helluva lot of fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    FWIW, I have stayed at the Sunset (on the S. side of Brevard) and ridden the greenway into Pisgah by the ranger station, done an Avery Crk Rd./Buckhorn/Clawhammer/Black loop and ridden back to the hotel.

You can also ride to the Bracken trailhead if you're staying in Brevard proper. I tried to ride that trail one day when I was sick, but the first steep climb didn't agree with my sick body that day.
    Ive stayed at the Sunset the last 4 years. Not the poshest place but they have a bike wash and you can store the bikes in the room overnight. 20min from the fawn lake parking in Dupont. 20min to Pisgah.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'lll offer some food suggestions, too.

On places to try:

Food Matters in Brevard - Great sandwiches, cool grocery story with lots of interesting snacks and such, the deli has some cool stuff too

Magpie - A lot of people love this place, it's not my cup of tea but the food is good, although on the heavy side.

Conosur - Peruvian food in Mills River. Get the Alfajores for dessert.

Wild Ginger in Arden - Good Vietnamese for the area, but marginal for where you are coming from. It's no Buford Hwy, but it's good enough.

Mexican food truck in Mills River - I don't know the name, but if you drive to Valley Ag in Mills River, there is a food truck in the parking lot that has great Mexican food. It's cash only and weekdays only, but their burritos are awesome after a ride.

Oskar Blues - The Chubwagon is usually pretty good, I've eaten there a lot and had it be not so great once or twice, but generally the burgers are good.

The Hub usually has a good selection of food trucks, although I'd avoid the purple one. I keep wanting to like their food, but I keep trying it and regretting it. The others I've had there have been great. The Velvet truck there has great doughnuts.

Cranked Coffee - Great danishes/pastries, smoothies, and coffee stuff

Avoid Hawg Wild. It's tempting because of it's location, but it's pretty gross and I know at least two people that have gotten sick eating there.

since 4/10/2009
    I like the Sunrise Cafe in Brevard for breakfast. It's easy to go overboard there before a big ride, though, so be careful. I need a little protein for breakfast if I actually want to sustain an effort. a carb-heavy breakfast just doesn't keep me going for very long. the place can be quite busy, so budget your time wisely if you want to hit the trail by a certain time.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    I'lll offer some food suggestions, too.

On places to try:

Food Matters in Brevard - Great sandwiches, cool grocery story with lots of interesting snacks and such, the deli has some cool stuff too

Magpie - A lot of people love this place, it's not my cup of tea but the food is good, although on the heavy side.

Conosur - Peruvian food in Mills River. Get the Alfajores for dessert.

Wild Ginger in Arden - Good Vietnamese for the area, but marginal for where you are coming from. It's no Buford Hwy, but it's good enough.

Mexican food truck in Mills River - I don't know the name, but if you drive to Valley Ag in Mills River, there is a food truck in the parking lot that has great Mexican food. It's cash only and weekdays only, but their burritos are awesome after a ride.

Oskar Blues - The Chubwagon is usually pretty good, I've eaten there a lot and had it be not so great once or twice, but generally the burgers are good.

The Hub usually has a good selection of food trucks, although I'd avoid the purple one. I keep wanting to like their food, but I keep trying it and regretting it. The others I've had there have been great. The Velvet truck there has great doughnuts.

Cranked Coffee - Great danishes/pastries, smoothies, and coffee stuff

Avoid Hawg Wild. It's tempting because of it's location, but it's pretty gross and I know at least two people that have gotten sick eating there.
    My only response to this in reference to the food truck in mills river. The food there is marginal at best. It doesnít suck, but itís close. If you find the food here awesome, then your world of Mexican food is small. Really small.

Big Mac
    The best part of this thread is that the op hasnít even been back, yet we all seem to keep giving advice to a ghost. Southern hospitality, I guess.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    My only response to this in reference to the food truck in mills river. The food there is marginal at best. It doesnít suck, but itís close. If you find the food here awesome, then your world of Mexican food is small. Really small.

I've found it consistently better than the other places in the area. I've stopped eating burritos at Mary's because the meat quality seems real variable and P&B is...P&B.

I'll agree the bar isn't exactly set high, especially coming from Atlanta.

Big Mac
    I've found it consistently better than the other places in the area. I've stopped eating burritos at Mary's because the meat quality seems real variable and P&B is...P&B.

I'll agree the bar isn't exactly set high, especially coming from Atlanta.
    Lol. Iíll agree with your take on Maryís and Pappas and beer. In light of those 2 places, that food truck is pretty good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RDO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I used to love Mary's for the Salvodorean food (pupusa's and yucca). Last time I was there they didn't seem to give a f**k. Quijote's in Brevard used to be good, again last experience there wasn't pleasant. If you want quantity and something other than tacos try the Maya grill in Brevard. FWIW i've lived in California for twenty years, Arizona and traveled through Mexico. Some of the best "Mexican" food I've had is non-idiomatic.

For tacos, as of the last time I've been there, Tacqueria Munoz in West Asheville is good and that little place on Kanuga right near the tracks in Hendersonville (no menu) isn't bad.

Whatever you do, don't order Tacos at the Chubwagon.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RDO View Post
    For tacos, as of the last time I've been there, Tacqueria Munoz in West Asheville is good
    I drive by that place all the time and keep meaning to eat there.

I laugh at some of the stuff that y'all are saying is terrible. Granted, I haven't eaten at all of them. But Pappas & Beer is at least passable, IMO. I've eaten some truly horrendous Mexican food. The worst stuff I ever had access to was when I lived in East TX. Compared to that, everything I've had in WNC has been worlds better.

Quote Originally Posted by RDO View Post
    Some of the best "Mexican" food I've had is non-idiomatic.
    That's been my experience, also, but I'm not as widely traveled as you are.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I don't hate P&B, I eat there with some regularity, but it's not great either. Their lunch fajitas are a decent deal though and I usually end up with some to take home. I've had varying results at different locations.

Big Mac
    I do pretty much hate poopoos and beer. When I worked for the water department, all the fat kids loved that place. I find pretty disgusting. Taqeuria Munoz is good, as is taqeuria fast in Woodfin. Tacos Jalisco is good too. And FWIW, the food truck across from the Fairview tavern, the Local Buggy is good too. The papusas, tamales, and tacos are all good. Her sauces are the bomb.

What does a bean mean?!
    I've had varying results at different locations.
    The trick with P&B is to learn what each location does best.

mtbr member
    I must be weird. I like Papas and Beer. We got one in Spartanburg a few years ago and it is way better than the Monterreyís, etc, that dominate the Mexican food market around here.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    How about a campground in/near Brevard? We have a tow behind camper and will be down the third week of April.

RDO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Davidson River. Better make a reservation fast, they do have some drop in spots though.

mtbr member
    Drop in spots- by the third week of April, no chance on Friday/Saturday, have to get there right at check-in other days.
    DR is a fantastic campground, I go down there to stay for a couple weekends every year even though I only live 40 or so minutes away. Idyllic!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 1spd1way View Post
    How about a campground in/near Brevard? We have a tow behind camper and will be down the third week of April.
    How big is your tow behind? Do you require hookups? The Mills River area can take small trailers and rv's, but no hookups iirc, so you have to be able to boondock. It's a more rustic campground than davidson river.

There is a campground on the blue ridge parkway that's by the inn, mt pisgah, and the top of pilot. Your rv has to be able to fit through the tunnels on the parkway, though

I find it kinda surprising that there aren't more campgrounds (even private ones) in the area. Vacation rental houses are the big thing.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Big Mac
    Black Forest is a pretty nice private campground, though closer to DuPont, than pisgah.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Black Forest is a pretty nice private campground, though closer to DuPont, than pisgah.

I didn't know about that place. Definitely a Dupont place now that I've looked it up. It's out there.

mtbr member
    I highly recommend the bike farm, its only about 5 minutes from the Hub, we have always camped but they also have some glamping tents we will try this year Big military style tent on top of a deck with a couple outlets and a light or two, fits maybe 5 people or so. They have car camping and some other sites further off the gravel path, much more private and secluded but its basically hiking trail to get your gear to the site not very far but it sucks when your taking a grill,coolers,tents,tarps, etc. So if you go that route maybe pare down or pack accordingly.They also have a good selection of short trails and drops skinnies and such on site, perfect if you end the day and want more and get into the beers and want to mess around.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin-nc View Post
    I highly recommend the bike farm, its only about 5 minutes from the Hub, we have always camped but they also have some glamping tents we will try this year Big military style tent on top of a deck with a couple outlets and a light or two, fits maybe 5 people or so. They have car camping and some other sites further off the gravel path, much more private and secluded but its basically hiking trail to get your gear to the site not very far but it sucks when your taking a grill,coolers,tents,tarps, etc. So if you go that route maybe pare down or pack accordingly.They also have a good selection of short trails and drops skinnies and such on site, perfect if you end the day and want more and get into the beers and want to mess around.
    Yeah, but not an appropriate spot for a camper trailer. They have told me that they can accommodate my teardrop, but I haven't attempted it yet.

mtbr member
    Yeah, but not an appropriate spot for a camper trailer. They have told me that they can accommodate my teardrop, but I haven't attempted it yet.

Yeah idk if i would attempt it haha. How long is your tear drop? There is quite the tight steep switchback loose gravel road to the top even my full size truck was tight in spots

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin-nc View Post
    Yeah idk if i would attempt it haha. How long is your tear drop? There is quite the tight steep switchback loose gravel road to the top even my full size truck was tight in spots

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    14ft all in. I can pull it with a subaru. I have done some tight-ish curves with it, but it can be touch and go sometimes.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    26 footer. want all services (water, sewer, electricity.)
    We are spoiled .

mtbr member
    I've been trying to plan a trip back that directions to ride something new to me. Being that I'm from San Diego and eat Mexican food a solid 3-4 days a week (and sometimes more....I also vacation in Cabo every year), I think I may have to come just to sample all these different options and tell you what's good and what's not.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Booked in at Black forest. Week of April 17-27.
    Pretty excited. This will kick start our riding/camping season for the year!

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Cursed, cursed I say.
    2nd year in a row, we have planned a spring vacation and booked into a campground.

2nd year in a row we have run into injury or health problems that prevent us from coming down.
    We re-booked the campsite for October....hopefully we will make it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    1spd1way, I feel your pain. Was supposed to be in brevard this past October. Campsite, mtb, fish etc. The hurricane Michael came through and that was that. You can bet I will try again this coming October.
    What campsite you staying?

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Black forest campground. I don't have the site yet. Waiting for the confirmation letter to arrive.