Brevard + Camping- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Brevard + Camping

OK, so I searched, but did not find any answers to my specific questions, so hoping you can help. We want to camp near Brevard the week of August 1, or at least a few days of it. Bringing the whole clan which means:

• MTB in early morning sometimes alone sometimes with my 15 year old son
      Close to Brevard becasue my 19 year old daughter would like to see Brevard College
      Other activites... simple things like hiking, access to river, creek, etc...
      Quiet, clean, privacy
      Bathouses (notice 19 year old daughter mentioned above)
      Peace and quiet for my wife and 8 month old

Any suggestions? I have looked at and considered these two commercial campgrounds:
    http://www.our100acrewoods.com/index.html

and this one

http://www.ash-grove.com/default.aspx?pageid=1

Any thoughts or hints would be appreciated. I'll also be looking for some definitive trail advice, but know that I will take my son to Dupont for the waterfalls and the view. He will be more into the scenery and history than the riding itself, even though he can kick my butt on the bike. Up for any other suggestions.

Thanks, as always.

John
    On One Summer Season Single Speed

Official Cooler Inspector
    Me first! Log in to MTBr and hit "search". Type Pisgah or Brevard or DuPont. After a few hours of reading, you'll notice a pattern in the responses. Not trying to be vague or condescending, just offering easy access to repeated info.

This is a nice place you did not list:

http://www.blackforestcampground.com/

Have a great time!

MTBR Member
    check Davidson River Campground...covers everything you mention. Close to DuPont too.

mtbr member

Check Out Ash Grove...

Ash Grove is quiet, clean, and located just off US-276 between DSF and the District...
    TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

pronounced may-duh
    Cascade Lake Recreation Area is another

But only Davidson River has riding directly from the campground. Lake Powhatan does also but it's not in Brevard.

mtbr member
    North Mills River Campgrounds. Some of the best trails on the east coast. Maybe 15-20 min into Bervard.

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpy1
    North Mills River Campgrounds. Some of the best trails on the east coast. Maybe 15-20 min into Bervard.
    No hot showers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    No hot showers
    I was told, last time I was there, that a shower facility was to be installed. They were removing one of the campsites to make room. This was maybe 6 weeks or so ago.
    mike

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by mike047
    I was told, last time I was there, that a shower facility was to be installed. They were removing one of the campsites to make room. This was maybe 6 weeks or so ago.
    Well that would be really cool. It is a great location, but if I'm gonna camp w/o facilities, I ain't gonna pay for it. That said, I don't think the feds can get anything done in as little as 6 weeks!

mtbr member
    Don't know about camping, but watch for the White Squirrels at Brevard College, check out the Brevard Music Center and visit the shops at the intersection of 280 and 64 right at the entrance to Pisgah Forest. There's a MTB/Fly fishing shop, a killer BBQ place, Hawg Wild, and an ice cream walk-up across the street.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by 450VoltsDC
    Don't know about camping, but watch for the White Squirrels at Brevard College, check out the Brevard Music Center and visit the shops at the intersection of 280 and 64 right at the entrance to Pisgah Forest. There's a MTB/Fly fishing shop, a killer BBQ place, Hawg Wild, and an ice cream walk-up across the street.
    That is the first time I've heard a positive word about Hawg Wild. I guess there really is a first time for everything.

mtbr member
    Not to hijack the thread, but your's is the first dissent I've heard. Then, there's a few who don't care for 12Bones here in Arden.

Mmmmmm, BBQ!!!

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by 450VoltsDC
    Not to hijack the thread, but your's is the first dissent I've heard. Then, there's a few who don't care for 12Bones here in Arden.

Mmmmmm, BBQ!!!

As for 12 Bones, I am one of the dissenters of that place as well. All I can say is that in a town with no good BBQ, to some, even the bad will seem good. Others just don't know any better. The BBQ debates continue......... and continue. But truly, Hawg Wild is in my opinion, among the worst. Location, location, location.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    ok mb, big mac, what IS good bbq to you? love to hear all about it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostbear51
    ok mb, big mac, what IS good bbq to you? love to hear all about it
    luella's - good stuff
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridn29s
    luella's - good stuff
    BBQ snobbery?

"Location, location, location"? Does it have to be in Memphis, K.C., __________ ?

Second best BBQ I ever ate was at a Corky's (from Memphis) outside of Cleveland, Ohio Best was in Chicago, can't remember the name.

I hear Luellas is off since they moved; haven't been to the new place yet.

If it's good meat, moist and falling off the bone, not drowned in (shudder) Open Pit-based sauce and the fries and cole slaw are good, I'm happy.

Gotta go, heading for Wolf Branch this morning.

BBQ Highjacked - again? Oh well, just glad it didn't turn in to another beer thread.

pronounced may-duh
    Did somebody say beer?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by M-U-M
    Me first! Log in to MTBr and hit "search". Type Pisgah or Brevard or DuPont. After a few hours of reading, you'll notice a pattern in the responses. Not trying to be vague or condescending, just offering easy access to repeated info.

This is a nice place you did not list:

http://www.blackforestcampground.com/

Have a great time!
    Well, I did in fact search, but gaining a vague understanding of what other people liked or disliked, without regard to the rather specific parameters I laid out in my original postdid not seem to help much.

So I posted an lo and behold, comments regarding camping with specificity to my situation. That's why I love the forum. Great folks giving great answers, so that seems to help.

Right now I am split between Ash Grove (private, quiet, close to dupont) and Davidson River.. not so private or quiet, but so conveniently located to: river for the boys (15 year old is bringing friends), trails, sliding rock, brevard itself. After the day I had at work today I am leaning towards the peace and quiet of Ash Grove...

Thank you all.

By the way... the best berbecue is what is done over my own open fire, consumed with plenty o'cold beer, shortly before a vigorous howl at the moon.... no resturant can top that...

John

mtbr member

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by jscusmcvet
    Do a search for that place on this forum. Lots of negative stuff. I've never stayed there, but I've met the lady that owns the place. I choose not to trade with her, but I can't seem to remember why. It seems DRC suits your needs pretty well. They run a tight ship there and the kiddies do love the river! I think the Black Forest Campground has a pool fwiw.

This location is very close to DuPont, but really set up more for the horsey set. It's also quite hilly. I have no personal experience with camping - only visited when some equestrian friends where there. Did I mention horses?

Too many other places are available for family/biking/hiking/swimming/fishing activities.

Daivdson would be the best all round choice. Close to groceries, varieties of food, Wally World and two great bike shops (Sycamore and The Hub) that can recommend rides for your skill levels.

Enjoy you vacation!

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    I stayed there in november last year -nothing exciting .. it was very close to dupont ... ignore the haters
    that said I am staying at the dav river campground for the next week

Quote Originally Posted by jscusmcvet

Members who have read this thread: 0