Bracken Mtn to USFS lands connection- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Bracken Mtn to USFS lands connection

Here is a scoping letter I received from the USFS:

Dear interested member of the public:

The Pisgah Ranger District, Pisgah National Forest in collaboration with the City of Brevard is proposing to construct a new connector trail (Bracken Mountain) on National Forest System (NFS) lands in the Burl Mountain area located in Transylvania County, North Carolina (see Figure 1). The proposed project is approximately three miles northwest of Brevard. Non-motorized access to the area from the north on NFS lands is via gated Forest Service Road (FSR) 475C behind the North Carolina State fish hatchery on the Davidson River and from the south on land managed by the City of Brevard. There is a need to develop a connector hiking/biking trail in this area at this time to improve recreation opportunities between the City of Brevard and NFS lands. The new trail system would provide access to the National Forest via the planned trail system on the city of Brevardís Bracken Mountain tract and to additional trails and roads in the Davidson River area as well as provide loop opportunities.

Specifically this proposal would involve construction of approximately one mile of multi-use non-motorized trail on NFS lands near Burl Mountain that would connect to Brevardís planned trail system (see enclosed project map). The trail would connect to the terminus of FSR 475C on NFS lands. The City of Brevard has designated their trails for hike and bike use and this trail would have the same designation for consistency in management.

Forest Plan Direction

Management opportunities were identified through a comparison of existing and desired conditions which could move this landscape toward a desired future condition. The desired future condition for a given resource was determined by examination of the Forest-wide and Management Area (MA) 3B General Direction and Standards in the Land and Resource Management Plan, Amendment 5, for the Nantahala and Pisgah National Forests (Forest Plan, 1994). Management Area 3B direction for trails states: Construct new trails for horseback riding or bicycles primarily when needed to connect existing roads or trails. (Forest Plan, page III-74). Forest-wide direction for trails state: Emphasize development of existing trails into loop systems with the exception of existing long-distance trails such as the Appalachian, Bartram, and Mountains-to-Sea Trails. (Forest Plan, page III-21).

Additional Information

The purpose of this letter is to inform you of this proposal and to solicit comments concerning the project. Feel free to contact Patrick Scott, Project Leader at 828-877-3350, ext. 207 or Michael Hutchins, Team Leader at 828-682-6146 if you have questions or need additional information regarding this proposal. To ensure timely progress of this proposal I would appreciate hearing back from you by June 31, 2011. Comments should be mailed to: Pisgah Ranger District, ATTN: Randy Burgess, 1001 Pisgah Highway, Pisgah Forest, North Carolina, 28768 or e-mailed to: [email protected]. Thank you for your continued interest in management of the Pisgah National Forest.

Sincerely,

/s/Randall Burgess
    RANDALL BURGESS
    District Ranger

Enclosure

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Glad to hear the Forest Service is taking steps to move forward with this. The city trail will begin about 300 yards from my back door, so needless to say, I can't wait for this project to get going. I've contacted members of city council to offer any help I can as a lawyer, ex finance person, and mountain biker willing to invest labor.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The scoping letter out to stakeholders is just the start of the process, one that is a lengthy one for sure. These types of trail projects often take 2-3 years to complete after the decision memo has been signed by the District Ranger.

I am not sure of the schedule for the city owned property, that is likely to happen much sooner that the USFS connection.

Personally, I think the trail from city lands needs to connect to Joel Branch Rd, not 475C coming up from the hatchery.

Woody

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Any reason it couldn't connect to both? Those two roads are really close to each other. That would make some great loop options.

Last I heard from my city council contact is that the trail corridor has been approved and flagged, and that actual work should start sometime in the next few months.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rb_daniel View Post
    Any reason it couldn't connect to both? Those two roads are really close to each other. That would make some great loop options.

Last I heard from my city council contact is that the trail corridor has been approved and flagged, and that actual work should start sometime in the next few months.

I agree it should connect to both. Folks should respond to the scoping letter requesting a connection to both.

Woody

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Comments sent.

drunken pirate
    Both roads already connect in a round about sort of way. It would be very nice to see those old trails opened up again and made legal for bikes. I'll send a letter
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by rb_daniel View Post
    That's cool. I was wondering about that, especially with the additional old logging roads on the City property. Do you know if they connect on USFS property or City property?
    I don't know the city boundary but they connect through a little bit of private property (clearly signed No Trespassing). Most of it is on USFS land.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    speaking of 475 C, it's been covered up with deadfall for a while now. At least it still was a couple of months ago.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
    Both roads already connect in a round about sort of way. It would be very nice to see those old trails opened up again and made legal for bikes. I'll send a letter
    That's cool. I was wondering about that, especially with the additional old logging roads on the City property. Do you know if they connect on USFS property or City property?

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Pisgah Area Sorba - Web Site Communications
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    960' elevation gain in the first 1.4 miles.

Then it's FATS in Pisgah on the loop.

And 960' elevation loss in the last 1.4 miles.

In the process, I discovered that up and down 475C is a great ride for a really wet day.

mtbr member
    have the downed trees been cleared on 475C?

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    In mid June, there were no trees down on 475C.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    So , is it open to the public now? Where is the trail head?

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Quote Originally Posted by karma 33 View Post
    So , is it open to the public now? Where is the trail head?
    Pisgah Area SORBA Ľ Blog Archive Ľ Brevard to open Bracken Mountain trails July 27th, 2012 at 2PM

mtbr member
    have you seen a map anywhere? if there was a link in the article I missed it.

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick View Post
    have you seen a map anywhere? if there was a link in the article I missed it.
    The only map I have seen is this one.

mtbr member
    thank you. I'm so excited. Several years ago we started at the fish hatchery, headed up 475C, went exploring to the left, and wound up in downtown Brevard. Went home via sidewalks, 276,white pines rd, 475B and caney. turned into a rather long day. Looking forward to trying it again, espcially with the little loop in there.

mtbr member
    eastatoe>Black mtn>Buckwheat>Bennett>Coontree>475C>Bracken anyone?

Looking forward to it being open. It's unlike anything else around for those that haven't seen it.

mtbr member
    Bracken Mountain Trail is included on the new Third Edition of the Western North Carolina Trail Guide: South Pisgah Ranger District, now available at your local bike shop.
    "Those who are afraid to go too far will never know how far they can go"

mtbr member

maps of Bracken Mountain trail

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bracken Mtn to USFS lands connection-bracken-mtn-inset1.jpg  

Bracken Mtn to USFS lands connection-bracken-mtn-inset25k.jpg  

"Those who are afraid to go too far will never know how far they can go"

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jack22 View Post
    Thanks - this puts it in perspective. I've not been far up 475C myself, so I may be missing something - but assuming the point where the trail crosses onto USFS property is fixed, it looks to me like a connection to Joel Branch instead would be really long and parallel to 475C.

Support Pisgah Area Soba

mtbr member
    Rode Bracken Mt with my Wife this morning. Awesome trail! I love the layout, and that first mile of climbing is no joke
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Got to ride the trails this evening also. What a great roller coaster ride. Trail keeps you on your toes and working the bike. Fun Stuff!!! Thanks for all those that made this happen.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I was pleased to ride the Bracken Preserve trails today. Nice addition to the "Greater Pisgah" inventory. Well marked ride all the way to the the hatchery - 20 miles I am guessing, more or less - out and back. Add some more and you can do an epic right from Brevard, and return to town to re-fuel, in many fashions.

Kudos! I can not wait 'till this trail has its line etched in. In fact I will help whenever I am in back home.

mtbr member
    Wow! Kudos to all involved in making this happen!

We rode it Sat morning. Deserted trailhead when we got there, but PACKED when we left. Very nice, Dupont-ish trail system. A good workout getting up to 475C and super-swoopy fun on the way back. 475C has been bushhogged and there are lots of thorns and chopped up limbs on the trail, wear your glasses and have a couple of extra tubes with you. Another word of caution, there are some really fast blind corners. I'm glad we got there "early" , would not be real eager to meet the downhill traffic of people coming back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    More pics from opening day
    BlueRidgeNow.com