Boone Ski Conditions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Boone Ski Conditions

I'm planning a day trip to go skiing at Appalachian Ski Mountain on Wednesday. But with the warm weather today and looks like rain tomorrow should I wait another week or two in hopes that conditions improve? I've never been skiing in NC so not sure what to expect in terms of conditions.

mtbr member
    Going to be hardpack either way. Lots of features at App if that's your thing.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Nothing worse than trying to ski on a muddy strip of man-made snow, wait for the weather to turn if you can.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I think I'll wait until next week. It's suppose to be pretty cold this weekend so hopefully they'll get some fresh real stuff or at least be able to make a lot of new snow

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Where have you skied? You say you have never skied in NC; have you done all your skiing out west? If so, you might be disappointed in NC skiing no matter when you go.

Big Mac

Boone Ski Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by catsruletn View Post
    Where have you skied? You say you have never skied in NC; have you done all your skiing out west? If so, you might be disappointed in NC skiing no matter when you go.
    That's a bit silly to say. Anyone who has skied anywhere, surely knows what to expect when riding here. I've done more riding elsewhere than here, but it doesn't mean I don't ride here. I do. And I enjoy it. It's what we got.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have skied elsewhere and I ski here too and I enjoy both as well. Just trying to let the guy know that it is quite different than elsewhere and the first time going it can be a surprise at how different it is. At least it was for me.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by catsruletn View Post
    Mostly New Hamsphire, and Maine and I've been skiing in Tahoe. I realize it will seem like a hill compared to those places but I figure it's close and I'll have fun. I haven't been in 10 years - since moving to NC. But I recently got the urge to dust off (literally) the board.

I think I'll drive the extra ~20 minutes to ski sugar instead of App.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yeah go for it. You'll still have fun.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I made it out to Sugar on Monday and had a blast. Sure I was thinking I wish they had a high speed lift, I wish the runs were longer, I wish the bottom half was more challenging, but I was also thinking about how fun it was and each run made me want more. The snow was in good shape too, softer than I was expecting.

I may try to make another trip out before the season ends.

mtbr member
    Glad you had a good time. Fun in the summer too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Glad you had fun. NC skiing is different but it all what you make it. Due to shoulder surgery and a following staph infection my ski time was cut from 85 days last year to 8 this year. All but 10 of those were in NC. I did not go west but took a trip up to NY and skied Greek Peek and then over to Holiday Valley for PSIA training. Left there and headed to WV for our race finals at Silver Creek. Our skiing is not bad, and on a cold day it is better than sitting indoors.