Boone, NC area? Anyone know these rides?- Mtbr.com
    Still surfin in my 60's.

Boone, NC area? Anyone know these rides?

The Summer Times magazine, (if it's free, it's for me) lists the "Boone 18 mile ride", "Blowing Rock's Benson Hollow, and Blowing Rock's Buckeye Trail. Is anyone familiar with these trails?

mtbr member
    probably gravel road stuff, the older guide book(mtn biking western carolina?) is full of this stuff the freebie papers print a lot of out of date info!

mtbr member
    Yeah that is my guess as well. Old railroad/gravel stuff that the books printed. Dark mtn is your best bet until rocky knob opens.

Pirate Race Productions
    Apr 2005
    ...or the new trails up at Beech Mountain

mtbr member

new trail at beech?

What new trails at beech are they planning? I was up there few weeks back exploring the old upper loops. They have revived the short lower loop and the small connector via the old power line trail.(this was our original race course early 90's) The real meat of the course, upper loop had not been reclaimed. We dropped into West Bowl (most of the downhill wiped out by eagles nest) the goodness that was trail all the way to buck eye is now all gravel road.
    The hidden loop between jeep trail and the bowl is completely reclaimed by nature.
    There could still be some cool trail put in down there in that area I guess.

Pirate Race Productions
    Apr 2005
    There is about 7 miles of trail up top, its all marked and signed, rolling, rooty east coast single track at altitude. The West Bowl will probably be the next phase. The Town of Beech got an easement from Eagles Nest and is planning to expand trails down through there.

mtbr member
    Yeah absolutely check out the trails on beech, forget to mention that thanks stack.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    CBB, those trails are in the Boone Fork Recreation area and at the moment not worth your time Don't be surprised if that whole area gets revitalized in the future though. If you are in Blowing Rock, also consider driving to Wilkesboro.

Still surfin in my 60's.
    Thanks to everyone for their info. It sounds like my best bet when I'm in the Boone area are the dirt roads, at least until Rocky Knob is finished. It's hard to believe that an outdoor sports haven like Watauga County is so slack in the dept. of MTB. MY son-in-laws checked out the Trout Lake trail just to ride for exercise. NO BIKES ALLOWED. However the Park Service had no problem with the 1,000 pounds of horse poop that gets "dropped" on the trail every week. Bound to be good for the water quality in the lake.
    So you think you can jump!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah, Sorry we don't have anything for you right now that doesn't involve driving first. The Trout lake trail is part of the Cone Memorial Park. The Manor (and all the Carriage Trails) went through a Management Plan (DAMP) several years ago. this included a public input period during which mountain bikers in our region voiced their opinion in large numbers. While Mountain biking was found to not be in the historical mission of the Cone Family, at least through that process NPS recognized the need for future recreational planning to include mountain biking in this area. Price Park has been mentioned as a place that may be considered. When the time comes, the locals here will be ready for it. They have rallied big-time by starting a club (w/over 170 members in less than a year). On the MTB side, this group has raised some serious dough and also adopted trails, certified sawyers, and played a big role with Rocky Knob Park. Good things are starting to happen in the Boone area, so all you peeps who comment about the need for trails and such...please consider doing something about it in your own area. There are never enough people at trail days, so start with that.

Still surfin in my 60's.
    ncps, I think I understand your frustration. The "real world" has no idea how many MTB'ers there are out there. Surfers for many years have had the same problem. With the population of both groups numbering in the millions, a strong voice can be raised. At present, but slowly, due to it being summer, I am working on my own trail system. I live on a 46 acre farm, shared between my family, and my brother-in-law and sister-in-law. I already have some old tractor roads, an hope to clear some trails through an overgrown creek bottom. The problem right now is mid 90's heat that makes most of the day too hot to do much hard physical labor. Since you are part of an organization of MTB'ers, do you know of any TV programs that feature MTB. Fuel on Direct TV does a good job on "alternate" sports, like surfing, motocross, and skateboarding. Best to you and your friends and thanks for your efforts in taking MTB up another notch in NW NC.
    So you think you can jump!

Members who have read this thread: 1