Blue Ridge Parkway Trip- Mtbr.com
    fool goin up, joker down
    Jan 2009

Blue Ridge Parkway Trip

Hey guys this summer I got a road trip planed to follow the entire Blue Ridge Parkway (From Bryson City up through Boone), my question is...
    What suggestions do yall have of things I have to do/ride while I'm on the trip?
    Be it a restaurant or a campground or a trail whatever. The planning part of this trip is in its infancy so I figured I asked locals since I'm from Columbia and I have never been to any of the places that I'm goin.
    Thanks
    Mamma speed I'm back!!!

mtbr member
    The Pisgah Inn is a nice place to eat with a good view.

The viaduct section near Grandfather Mountain is cool.

I spent 6 hours on the BRP today driving a support car for the Assault on Mt. Mitchell. After a while, the road starts looking line one endless loop. The only thing that changes are the views. And you only need 2 gears - 50 x 11 and 34 x 28.

There are very few facilites on the BRP itself. No gas stations, stores etc. So plan accordingly to have enough food, water, etc.

You might want to read this:

http://www.amazon.com/Bicycling-Blue...4759194&sr=8-9
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    I second the Pisgah Inn! Great stop point to eat and when we use to ride alot of motorcycles on the FSR's and around western NC the PI was always a stop in the day to eat!

Be careful however, the tourist will damn near kill you driving and not paying attention to the road and what is on it. Not as bad in the spring/summer as when the fall colors come in but still those yanks and Floridians seem not to be able to drive. Sorry to offend anyone but it is true. This is if your road riding.............but if your doing off road trails then I don't know too many trails off the PW. On your way up there try Bent Creek! Great riding meca for sure for mtb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike

I spent 6 hours on the BRP today driving a support car for the Assault on Mt. Mitchell.
    Kudos to you for doing that! 3 of my teammates were up there yesterday, and one got some help the SAG after her 2nd flat. Ya'll are great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    Kudos to you for doing that! 3 of my teammates were up there yesterday, and one got some help the SAG after her 2nd flat. Ya'll are great.

We picked up one guy yesterday at 28 miles who rode tubular tires and didn't bother to bring a spare. And I thought I was dumb.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Question: are you on bike or in car?

If by bike. road bike only or trail capable?

If by car, will you have a Mountain Bike with you?

Greatly influences answers.

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    Question: are you on bike or in car?

If by bike. road bike only or trail capable?

If by car, will you have a Mountain Bike with you?

Greatly influences answers.
    Agree with Mike B: we need more info!

Personally I'd drive the car and ride the mtn bike. There is freaking awesome trail riding right off the parkway in NC and VA. Tons of great trail systems.

And if you have the time, consider continuing your trip on up the skyline drive into the Shanandoah National Park. It's just like the parkway but more intense.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Be aware of Parkway Closure

If you are planning to road bike without support, be aware that a section of the Parkway is currently closed to traffic. The closure is just north of Pisgah Inn at highway 151, and it may be closed to all traffic. You will want to check with NPS to see if foot & cyclist traffic is allowed through the closed area, otherwise you will be detouring around to get to Asheville.

fool goin up, joker down
    Jan 2009
    No I wont be doing any road biking and I'll have my car and mountain bike.
    I was asking about trails and inns/campgrounds and stuff that I should look at. So yall were pretty close, sorry for the confusion. And again all suggestions are welcome.
    Mamma speed I'm back!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0