Black Mountain/Old Fort area...Who wants shuttle money?- Mtbr.com
    zod
    Southern Fried mUni

Black Mountain/Old Fort area...Who wants shuttle money?

Needing a shuttle this Friday morning....anyone down for some easy money PM me.

mtbr member
    Climbing is good for the soul.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    I agree unless that climb is Curtis Creek! I have my brother in town, our climbs will break his soul...he ain't from around these parts.

mtbr member
    I assume you're doing Heartbreak? If you can't find a shuttle l the easiest way is an out an back on it. Once you get past Star Gap it's mostly rideable aside from a few real short bits. Hike-a-bike sucks but it's over quick

Call Epic Cycles in Black Mountain. They may know someone who can shuttle y'all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zod View Post
    I agree unless that climb is Curtis Creek! I have my brother in town, our climbs will break his soul...he ain't from around these parts.
    Yeah, that road sucks.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    I have an easier way to go HB than out and back but trying to save energy to also do Kitsuma. I think we might have a shuttle lined up though but if not we'll probably just do Heartbreak and if my brother is still feeling feisty drive over to Old Fort Picnic Area and throw in Kit.

rsa
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Separate question
    I've only ridden down heartbreak during ORAMM.
    Would like to ride it again, but prefer a loop that doesn't involve Curtis Creek. What is "Old Mitchell Toll Road" like? Is it better to go up toll road -> down heartbreak or to ride out and back on heartbreak?

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    The toll road is a typical rough and tough Pisgah climb. As part of a shuttle it's a good option and if you're a climbing beast that doesn't want to shuttle, still a good option. There is a shortcut through Ridgecrest so you don't have to go all the way into Montreat.
    Just be aware that the Old Toll is seasonal, it is closed during bear hunting season. To access Heartbreak this time of year you have to access it from the BRP like you did during ORAMM. There is a much better climb to the BRP than Curtis Creek however it's not technically a bike allowed climb if you are concerned with following the "rules".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rsa View Post
    Separate question
    I've only ridden down heartbreak during ORAMM.
    Would like to ride it again, but prefer a loop that doesn't involve Curtis Creek. What is "Old Mitchell Toll Road" like? Is it better to go up toll road -> down heartbreak or to ride out and back on heartbreak?
    The Toll is a moderate grade so its not steep at all but it is chunky. Lots of rock, etc. which can make it a little challenging.

Its closed from Oct 1st to Dec. 31st since most of it is on private land that bear hunters use. There is usually a hefty crowd that hits it New Years Day so that is always fun. I prefer Toll Rd over Curtis Creek since its mostly in the shade, there is plenty of water to refill on, and its a mellow grade so you can easily spin up it. Its just long...

You used to be able to access the Toll Rd from Ridgecrest but they have been real dicks about that lately... Even chasing me down in a golf cart to tell me I couldnt access Toll through there any more.

The fastest way to do HB is as an out and back even if you arent fit. It takes a fraction of the time that Toll and CC take to do but its much shorter distance wise. The Toll Rd. always feels like an adventure to me so I usually do it that way just because.

If you are looking to do HB before Jan 1st do an out and back... Or suffer up CC and the parkway. That should be like a right of passage for everyone riding WNC haha.
    On your left!

rsa
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    thanks for the great insight Zod and Banjopickin! Not too excited about a HB out and back, so will wait til January for the old toll/HB loop.

Can't say that I enjoyed my right of passage on Curtis Creek, but checked it off my WNC biking bucket list.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Puke bucket list....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    The Toll is a moderate grade so its not steep at all but it is chunky. Lots of rock, etc. which can make it a little challenging.

Its closed from Oct 1st to Dec. 31st since most of it is on private land that bear hunters use. There is usually a hefty crowd that hits it New Years Day so that is always fun. I prefer Toll Rd over Curtis Creek since its mostly in the shade, there is plenty of water to refill on, and its a mellow grade so you can easily spin up it. Its just long...

You used to be able to access the Toll Rd from Ridgecrest but they have been real dicks about that lately... Even chasing me down in a golf cart to tell me I couldnt access Toll through there any more.

The fastest way to do HB is as an out and back even if you arent fit. It takes a fraction of the time that Toll and CC take to do but its much shorter distance wise. The Toll Rd. always feels like an adventure to me so I usually do it that way just because.

If you are looking to do HB before Jan 1st do an out and back... Or suffer up CC and the parkway. That should be like a right of passage for everyone riding WNC haha.
    We attempted to do this ride the weekend before bear hunting season started, because we couldn't find definitive info on when the toll road closed. I can affirm that it is Oct 1st, per one of the members of the hunt club that stopped us as we came out onto the gravel past the yellow gate. He was very firm about the fact that we would need to turn around, but politely so. We didn't want to chance causing problems, so we turned around.

We didn't have any issues with Ridgecrest though. We called ahead during the week, and spoke with Scott, the Rec Director, and gained access. Picture of Our Conversation about this included.

Black Mountain/Old Fort area...Who wants shuttle money?-ridgecrest-conv.jpg
    2019 Yeti SB150
    2017 YT Jeffsy AL Two 29
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member
    Good to know on Ridgecrest. I guess as long as you call ahead you're good?

I live 10 min away and never really plan rides out. Usually I just haul ass through there. When someone hassles me I just yell "Thanks! You too! god bless" and pedal away...

Can you PM me the Rec. guys contact? I'd like to be official and not piss them folks off and give mtb'ers a bad rap.

mtbr member
    Good to know on Ridgecrest. I guess as long as you call ahead you're good?

I live 10 min away and never really plan rides out. Usually I just haul ass through there. When someone hassles me I just yell "Thanks! You too! god bless" and pedal away...

Can you PM me the Rec. guys contact? I'd like to be official and not piss them folks off and give mtb'ers a bad rap.
    Banjo- my understanding is that it's a seasonal/business thing. When they have camps/retreats/sťances/ conclaves of the illuminati or whatever going on there, no access. Mostly vacant campus? Its ok. I could be wrong.

This has gone through many changes in the past. At one time, they wanted you to stop at the gate and get a paper pass to carry with you on your bike . At other times, it was like a free-for-all. I'm sure it will continue to change.

Joking in my description of Ridgecrest events, fwiw. Really respect their sense of community allowing public use as much as they do.

mtbr member
    Yeah I do recall seeing signage up at Rattlesnake saying Ridgecrest was closed to riding during summer...

I usually went down Rhodo and up Rattlesnake and no one was the wiser. It sucks that you couldn't connect Kitsuma though without going through the main gate.... unless someone knows another way?

Illuminati, the Atlanta Falcons, NAMBLA... who knows whats going on up there... haha
    On your left!

mtbr member
    I don't have it, but will get it from the guy in our group that had the conversation with him, then PM you with it.
    2019 Yeti SB150
    2017 YT Jeffsy AL Two 29
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMTBer View Post
    I don't have it, but will get it from the guy in our group that had the conversation with him, then PM you with it.
    Awesome... that would be great.
    On your left!

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    I never got a shuttle lined up...The climb to the Parkway was pretty grueling Friday however the trip back down Heartbreak was fun as always.