Black Mountain or nearby Oct 20th- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Black Mountain or nearby Oct 20th

Hello,
    A friend and I will be riding the Black mountain trail this saturday, haven't figured out the exact route yet, still reading thought other suggestion on here or open to others. Prolly gonna camp on FR477 also. If I can't decide on anything concrete is there a must ride n the area besides Black mountain? I have ridden Tsali, Bent creek and Laurel Mountan a number of times so trying something new, will also be riding SS for the first time in the mountains. Is carolina fatz the closest shop for trail info?

Any opinions of the route described here:
    Black Mountain Best Ride

Sorry to post random questions that I am sure have been answered before.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by catanzarite View Post
    Hello,
    Any opinions of the route described here:
    Black Mountain Best Ride

Sorry to post random questions that I am sure have been answered before.
    Thanks!
    Yeah...I wrote that one a very long time ago. It's in need of an update. I might include Avery Creek, more of Black Mtn. (down toward the Ranger Station), or something over toward Bennett Gap if I were adding a route there today. (And I will eventually get around to updating these). As far as that route goes...most people aren't too keen on the singletrack-uphill-gravel-road-downhill thing, nor the part about popping out at high speed near the horse stables. But I do still like Buckhorn Gap both ways and the side-hike to Twin Falls, if you can include that in your route.

Anyway, the usual advice is...stop in at a shop, get some stuff you need, and ask the locals for advice & routes before heading out.

mtbr member
    First SS ride in the mountains is tough for that area.

Here's what I would recommend, using a map:

Park at Horse Stables.

Climb and climb and climb some more on Clawhammer. It's going to suck, but at least you're not walking the whole time- which you would be on most trails in that area.

Turn left on Black Mountain at the top. Get ready to walk.

When you start descending, hang the F on. There's high speeds, loose rocks, and a couple 3 foot drops. It's not as sustained as Pilot Rock, but the drops are bigger.

At Club Gap, re-group. Are you still alive? Sweet!

You can't go wrong from Club Gap. If you're cooked, just drop Avery Creek. It's super fun and beautiful woods. Don't get lost at the bottom, it's easy to do, follow the blaze colors.

Got more?

Continue onto Buckwheat. It's not a bad climb followed by another hang the F on descent. At the gravel road, continue straight onto Bennet Gap. This trail has some of the biggest moves in Pisgah and is seasonal only. You should and will walk your bike down the hill through two sections (what I call "The Q-Bert move" and "The Bennet Huck (aka Satan's Staircase)." It's worth it though- after the staircase, you have a short hike a bike followed by one of the best high speed descents anywhere. At the gravel road again check to see if you are alive and turn left back to the horse stables.

Stop at The Hub for a beer.

Rogue Exterminator
    I have heard there are few SS locals around here usually followed by how nuts they are.

That being said, I hope you are a strong climber or like walking.

Dig it!
    A few SS nuts around here? There are more single speeders than acorns in the woods these days.

Make some thing better happen on your trails.
    Should you do more trail work?

Rogue Exterminator
    I am on the trails 3 days a week and have yet to see a single speed.

Still think they they are crazy though

mtbr member
    I ride SS approx 50% of the time and can ride 95% of the uphills that I do on the geared bike.

About 1/2 the riders I know are SS 90% of the time. Almost every rider I know has a SS bike.

If you have the fitness, there is nothing better sometimes.

P.S. Gears are also awesome. This is why I own two bikes; one always works and two is more fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    This is just the info I was looking for. I am thinking I will ride claw hammer up to the gap and take black mountain all the way down to the ranger station (then hopefully get a ride back). Then if time permits figure out a way to take Bennett gap south. I would prefer to avoid the confusion of Avery Creek and its numerous creek crossings...
    I also just realized that the Pisgah Productions double dare is this weekend also, don't think it will be a problem though.
    Oh and btw, I don't mind walking, and I do consider myself to be a descent climber.. will be riding 32x18 rigid...

Dig it!
    You might want to think about 32x22. But hey, whatever works for you.

Make some thing better happen.
    Should you do more trail work?

mtbr member
    I ride 32 x 21 on a 29er. This is a great Pisgah gear IMO. It is also the same thing for all intents and purposes as a 32 x 19 on a 26" bike.
    Last edited by Mike Brown; 10-15-2012 at 08:01 PM.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post

If you have the fitness, there is nothing better sometimes.
    I can see it, I have a pretty decent fitness level, but when I firs started biking, it kicked my ass on longer rides. After less then 3 months I use a lot less gears and rarely drop down to my granny gear unless I am on a longer ride.

I did buy an older rigid frame bike the other day to help build skills but have toyed with the idea of running it a SS when I get bored with it. Doubt I will do it though.

drunken pirate
    Clawhammer > Black Mtn. is one of my favorite loops . If you want to hit Bennett after you get done just head up FR477 to the top.

Is your bike a 29er? If so that gearing might be a little stout for around here. I run 32x20 on big wheels which is absolutely perfect, for me.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Members who have read this thread: 0