Black Mountain Left and Right- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Black Mountain Left and Right

I have done Black Mountain Middle and Lower but have yet to do any of the upper. I am planning on going up Clawhammer and taking either Black Right and hitting upper, middle, lower black on way down OR Black Left and hitting Buckwheat Knob and Bennet Gap on the way down. I heard there is some lengthy hike a bike on upper black. What is everyone's opinion on which is worse, upper black left or right? Also, which of the two routes do you prefer better? Thanks for the insight!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    There is some hike a bike if you go right, but I don't mind it. Turns it into a bit of an adventure. So i guess its 'worse' in that sense. Once you start downhill, its pretty full on...just go fast and pull up.

I rode left on Sunday and forgot how much I enjoy that ride. The whole thing is ride-able and feels more 'trail like' rather just bombing a gulley. That is my preferred route but going right is worth it if you are trying to mix it up or check off all the boxes on trails you've ridden.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    There is some hike a bike if you go right, but I don't mind it. Turns it into a bit of an adventure. So i guess its 'worse' in that sense. Once you start downhill, its pretty full on...just go fast and pull up.

I rode left on Sunday and forgot how much I enjoy that ride. The whole thing is ride-able and feels more 'trail like' rather just bombing a gulley. That is my preferred route but going right is worth it if you are trying to mix it up or check off all the boxes on trails you've ridden.
    Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it, I may pull left, I've always liked Bennett, never hit Buckwheat

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Buckwheat is awesome, its kinda like the gnarly wide-open stuff on upper Bennett. Underrated trail. You also get some nice views going left as it follows a ridgeline.

mtbr member
    A lot of the "hike a bike" is rideable fyi. If uptech is your thing it's awesome. If you don't believe me just ride with the locals sometime and prepare to be humbled. Rarely do I ride just middle black, and rarely do I climb just gravel to get there. Boring!!!

mtbr member
    Black Right aka "Black Proper" has legit Hike-a-bike climbing as in no one is riding some of that stuff. Its fairly short and once you hit Turkey Pen its all downhill (literally) to the Ranger Station except for the short uphill to Hickory Knob on Middle Black.

Black Left has more rideable singletrack but depending on the rider it also has some hike-a-bike too. Although many folks can clean that route from start to finish no problem. I prefer this route over Black Right because it has more diversity and Buckwheat Knob is one of the best trails in Pisgah. So rowdy...

I also prefer Black left because when you finish on Bennet you can easily climb back up and do Black Proper or Middle/Lower black.

Also several really nice views on Black Left...

If you havent done either I highly recommend doing both. Both ways are Pisgah Classics and worth every inch of the climbing and hike-a-bike...
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    Buckwheat is awesome, its kinda like the gnarly wide-open stuff on upper Bennett. Underrated trail. You also get some nice views going left as it follows a ridgeline.
    Quoted for truth! Buckwheat is toward the top for me on the "Rad DH list"

since 4/10/2009
    The only time I did Black Left, I dropped down Avery. That one has some pretty rad chunder, too. Haven't hit Buckwheat yet. Definitely on the list.

When I climb to do either of the section of upper Black, I like to climb up Lower Buckhorn Gap to break up the fire road with some singletrack climbing. I've done that one quite a few times.

Black Right certainly has some mandatory hike-a-bike leading up to "the view", no question. Those ledges - ha. Some of what a lot of people hike isn't mandatory, though. I've been known to hike it, anyway, because I'm pegged from the big climb still.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Quoted for truth! Buckwheat is toward the top for me on the "Rad DH list"
    Buckwheat rides good in either direction. You can go hit Club Gap if you ride it from Avery Creek Rd. Club Gap is good in it's own right. You should add that to your Rad DH list.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    Buckwheat rides good in either direction. You can go hit Club Gap if you ride it from Avery Creek Rd. Club Gap is good in it's own right. You should add that to your Rad DH list.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    Ya man Club is def on the list! Haha. I've done Buckwheat from 477 to Club Gap exactly once. It was ok but my god it's more fun the other way...at least for me....

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Left this time and right next time, good advice team!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    climbed Black backwards for the first time last week and it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I’d almost prefer to do out and back to middle Black over climbing claw hammer to maxwell.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Black Mountain Left and Right

Please hurry, go ride Black Mountain, ‘proper,’ ‘right’ or whatever we’re calling it. Go from bottom to top of that big, black mountain, any way you can do it. Then go down, and down, and down, in the fastest way you can do it (and please, clockwise, down upper, middle, lower). That needs to be done. Then come back and tell us how you liked it, and we can chat about all the glorious combinatorial routes and comparisons.