• 08-19-2014
    kevinboyer
    Black Forest Campground, Cedar Mountain NC
    Planning a Labor Day trip, 3 nights, 4 days to ride Dupont and possibly Pisgah. I've heard great things about Black Forest Campground where we are thinking of camping. Has anyone stayed here before that can give any feedback, and recommend a good site to set up a tent there?
  • 08-20-2014
    mbmb65
    Great place, great people. IIRC, pretty much all the sites are good. You'll likely be bored with DuPont in a few days. Plan for Pisgah. Have fun.
  • 08-20-2014
    kjlued
    I don't know if you will be bored with DuPont or not but definitely mix it up with a little Pisgah if you will be riding all 4 days.
  • 08-20-2014
    mblittle
    I have stayed there twice, both times for two nights, and both times in the cabins. All sites are basically equal. Great place. I'd say plan one or two days for Dupont and the rest for Pisgah. All that really depends on your skill level as Dupont is much more tame for the most part. If you need any route suggestions for Pisgah let me know. I don't suggest eating 10 pancakes and then going for a ride though. The all you can eat pancake breakfast is great, but weighs you down big time.
  • 08-20-2014
    mbmb65
    Four days in DuPont WILL be too much for MOST people. One would no doubt be doubling up and re-riding a lot of stuff. I would plan 2 days max and then Pisgah. Eat 4 pancakes and fill your pockets for lunch. 😄
  • 08-20-2014
    Surfdog93
    'Was there just there this past weekend and stayed in one of their cabins for (3) nights. The place is actually much nicer than on their website, so I also give it a big thumbs up. I rode DuPont all (3) days and parked at different trail heads. Coming from Florida, I have never ridden a trail which requires a map….at Dupont you need a map and even when you have it, it can be confusing….OK, I admit I'm not a great map reader. On the way home I hit FATS, which is awesome, just blast and go, super easy to navigate. Note, no cellular service up there, but they have wifi at the campground. The signal to the cabin was very weak and I couldn't connect my phone and just barley connect my laptop, but close to check-in house, the signal was strong. Very clean bathrooms, hot showers, heated pool, clean and attractive grounds…..have fun
  • 08-20-2014
    scmtbiker
    If you are in the area you can't leave without spending at least one day in Pisgah, if for no other reason just o say you rode it. With that said; be sure to get a damn good map and damn good directions before heading out, as Pisgah can get confusing and you can get lost real quick. Take a map and compass if you have never been and you will be fine. Enjoy your trip and take 5 minute drive over to Pretty Place at Camp Greenville and take in the view. You will not regret that trip. You can also spend a little time at Caesars Head as well.
  • 08-22-2014
    kevinboyer
    1 Attachment(s)
    Thanks for all your reply's. Great info. I have this map that I purchased last year. It's published by the Friends of Dupont Forest and seems to be very in depth. Are any of you familiar with it?

Attachment 917721