Bikeparks in NC- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bikeparks in NC

mtbr member

Bikeparks in NC

Anyone have any experience at Baileys or Beech? Looking to go to one of the two in the next couple of weeks but im not sure which one.
    Thanks!

Coffee Drinker
    subscribed!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Tagged

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Super Moderator SuperModerator

mtbr member
    Would like to see them compared to Snowshoe, Bryce, or Windrock which i have ridden recently. Everything ive heard or read says Baileys is steep but as to compared to what im not sure and ive just not heard much about Beech

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Both aren't nearly as big, trail count wise, as SS or as technical as some of the trails there or at WR. A lot of the easier trails at bailey are like skyline at SS, but steeper, with better built jumps and tighter berms for the most part. The harder bailey stuff is a mix of steep, off camber trails with some rocks and drops thrown in.
    Beech has a nice rock garden, but it is relatively flat. I haven't been there since the ETD rework, but before the two harder trails there were sort of like the basin side of SS, if I had to compare. Ie, more natural features, not many banked turns (until the bottom) and more raw than the WT at SS. Now I think you will find more berms and man made type features.
    Both are shorter than SS and WR. Beech being the shortest, IIRC. However with the lift, you get lots of runs in. It is great, if you don't mind doing the same 4 trails over and over. Some folks like the variety of SS and Beech doesn't have that. However you can work those 4 trails pretty good and really hone your skills.
    Bailey is shuttled, like WR. So you'll be waiting at the bottom for it to fill and then drive to the top. It isn't an easy drive, but fairly short. So you won't get as many runs in as SS or Beech, but you'll still be sporting a smile afterwards.

mtbr member
    I can't comment on Bailey (haven't been there), but myself and our team has been doing the design and construction updates at Beech for the last two seasons. It is a whole new park this year, so take any opinion of the "old beech" with a grain of salt. I can offer comparison to SS, Bryce, and WR for you.

First off, the chairlift is great. Super fast with 4-bike trays and it's a detachable so you have plenty of time to get on and off. You will get more runs than you can handle and it won't damage your bike. Run length is comparable to the basin side of Snowshoe.

Compared to Bryce: Longer, with more technical challenges and true DH bike terrain. Overall beech is more rugged and more difficult.

Compared to Snowshoe: Lift service is comparable, but its a much smaller resort in acreage and amenities. SS also has about a decade head start on bike park development. The technical sections have a similar feel and Beech has the nice high elevation cool temperatures like the shoe.

Compared to Windrock: Beech is less difficult than windrock, but has more options for less-experienced riders.

Regarding the trail updates, we've preserved and enhanced the natural-style trails while adding a bunch of new terrain. We've built a lot of features and flowy stuff, but we've also built some super challenging DH terrain on "Black Bear". We've also built several new intermediate-level trails, one of which is more flow-oriented, and one of which is more "DH" oriented. There is also a beginner DH trail, which gets a ton of traffic from riders of all levels. One of our major goals has been to help the facility appeal to a wider variety of riders, and I feel we have been successful at that. I'm an experienced DH rider and racer and I have a blast on every trail there, from green to black.

Here is a bunch of info and photos on our website. If you want to see more trail development at Beech, the best thing you can do is go there and support the park. There are plans for a lot more additions, but the resort management needs to feel they are seeing the increased visitor numbers they are looking for.

There is also all the info you need to plan your trip on Beech Mountain Resort's website.

mtbr member
    awesome thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by -Mueller- View Post
    One of our major goals has been to help the facility appeal to a wider variety of riders, and I feel we have been successful at that. I'm an experienced DH rider and racer and I have a blast on every trail there, from green to black.
    You guys did a great job. I just got back from a trip and it was a completely different park than it was 2 years ago. I remember my last trip up, the brake bumps on green made it almost unmanageable for me and I felt like the more difficult trails were out of reach (I did OK on Heartbreaker last trip). Obviously my skill has improved since then, but I felt like I had a lot more variety to choose from with better progression options than last time.

The blues were awesome, I really enjoyed Bermese Python, it was enough to keep me challenged but at lower consequence and get me more familiar with riding park at where I'm at. Blue Ridge was a bit much in 2 spots, although I think I'll clean it all next time. I went in with a lot of fear and hesitancy due to prior experiences and that manifested itself in what I did and didn't ride, but I felt really good walking away from it this time. Not so much because I did better, but because I have things I know I can focus on for next trip and was able to push myself a little harder than I was before, it also felt like there were "fair" challenges for me as an intermediate trailrider and newbie DH rider.

I always felt like Beech suffered from a lack of real progression, but that seems like something you guys did a great job of addressing this time.

mtbr member
    does beech offer a good flow jump trail? videos are lacking on you tube

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB_ZA View Post
    does beech offer a good flow jump trail? videos are lacking on you tube
    New for this year is "Burmese Python", which is a blue level flow and feature trail. You'll also find berms and tables sprinkled throughout the park. There is a nice small set of tables on the green trail that are great for practicing jumping. There are a bunch of berms and features on Heartbreaker. The most significant step downs and gaps are on Black bear.

Bikeparks in NC-web-6106.jpg

mtbr member
    i think you have talked me into it! Beech it is, hope for nice weather now! looks like you guys have done a good job with the park. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Let us know if you would like a tour. Any of the patrollers would be more than happy to show you around. ETD has done an awesome job you won't be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Thanks might take you up on that!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I have a V2 SC 5010 130MM front and back. Thoughts on suitability for Beech? This is my first park trip but am comfortable with Dupont, most Pisgah, 3ft jumps and drops.

mtbr member
    That bike will be fine on the green and blues. If you want to ride faster/harder on the blues or hit the black you might want to rent a a DH bike. Headquarters in Tynecastle has a couple TR450s and Magic has a couple V10s and Glories. Overall the greens and blues are steeper and more technical than most of Dupont. A lot of people ride trail bikes up there so I wouldn't let that hold you back from some awesome gravity laps. A trail bike is actually better on a couple of the blues and parts of the greens.

mtbr member
    I am going to Beech for 4 days next weekend. Looking forward to some cooler temps than what we have been getting in SC. Are the Emerald Outback trails worth riding for a short ride? Also, I plan on doing Rocky Knob and heading over to N. Wilkesboro for Warrior Creek. Is there anything else in that area I should know about?
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Emerald Outback is a good mellow ride when it is super hot off the mountain. The trails were reworked several years ago. They are very easy compared to what they were like. Most of the roots and cool technical aspects were removed for whatever reason. So long story short: worth a pedal but don't expect anything gnarly.

The Wilson Creek area has amazing riding as long as you can read a map. There are countless threads about it. The "legal" trails to ride are Greentown, Wilson Ridge, and Woodruff Branch. Stop by Headquarters Bike and Outdoor and ask Sean to give you directions.

mtbr member
    Sugad Brad - do you know of any good road or road/gravel loops in the 20-30 mile range up that way? I did the Beech Mtn metric a couple of years ago and did the 3 Peaks USA gravel grind one time, so I know there is good riding, but I don't really know my way around.

mtbr member
    Literally too many to list. But if you want gravel I would head towards Mortimer/Edgemont. Edgemont, Brown Mtn Beach, Roseboro, Pineola rds would all be epic.

For road (disclaimer I don't ride road but have worked in bike shops and lived in the area enough to know my way around): Most riders like to to a Viaduct loop consisting of 221 and the Parkway. What I can tell you about road riding:STAY OFF 105. If you see someone riding 105 they are most likely lost or clueless or both.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I made the mistake of riding 105 one time years ago.

mtbr member
    How does Beech handle the weather? Looking at going tomorrow but seems it has gotten some rain today?

Coffee Drinker
    Would Old 105 to Lake James be a good ride?

mtbr member
    Beech handles rain really well. The dirt is better when it is wet actually. Everything except the upper part of Black Bear is fine on dry tires.

mtbr member
    i went to Beech this past saturday and was extremely impressed! was not expecting it to be so fun ETD done an awesome job on the trails! i think there was more people there than at Snowshoe last time i went there but the lift line were good and the trails were not crowded at all. i will be goin there a lot more often. big thumbs up to Beech

mtbr member
    Awesome, glad to hear you had a great time!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB_ZA View Post
    i went to Beech this past saturday and was extremely impressed! was not expecting it to be so fun ETD done an awesome job on the trails! i think there was more people there than at Snowshoe last time i went there but the lift line were good and the trails were not crowded at all. i will be goin there a lot more often. big thumbs up to Beech
    Awesome to hear! Please spread the word and I hope to see you on the trails sometime.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Good info here on Beech and Bailey's and pretty spot on.

So I know there was a thread last year about Sugar, but there were rumors last time at Beech a couple of weeks ago that they are tired of seeing all the bikes pass them during the summer and they plan to open a bikepark again. Any truth or just the same old story being rehashed?

mtbr member
    It would be cool but: Other than the service chair there isn't a way to get bikes on the lift. About half of the DH trail is gone from the construction of the new lift. So it would take a lot to do a bike park plus they aren't interested in races.

mtbr member
    I am too old to do this bike park stuff, but I rode Emerald Outback today and had a great time.

mtbr member
    @mikeridesabike
    Nonsense! Who says you can't teach an old dog? Give it a shot you might like it!

mtbr member
    @mikeridesabike give it a shot! while i am on the youger side ive seen plenty of older farts at the bike parks! green trails are normally nice smooth flowy trails not everything is send a huge jumps and risk killing yourself, you can make it as wild as you want. its a nice atmosphere!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    I am too old to do this bike park stuff, but I rode Emerald Outback today and had a great time.
    My 62 year old mom rides the bike park! You got it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    @mikeridesabike
    Nonsense! Who says you can't teach an old dog? Give it a shot you might like it!
    Not a matter of liking it. Just a matter of not wanting to break any bones.

mtbr member
    Anyone headed to Beech this weekend? ill be there!

mtbr member
    Anyone rode Bailey as of late? ive heard it was blown out???

mtbr member
    Some rain ruts and braking bumps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    We have a huge bike park, it's called Western North Carolina!

mtbr member
    So is Beech closing today? Hours posted on the website stated to be in effect until 9/3. Would sure love to ride there on trip back home in October! Thanks for any info.

mtbr member
    We closed yesterday. Season runs Memorial Day Saturday to Labor Day Sunday.

mtbr member
    Thanks Sugar Brad! Any good commercial shuttle runs around WNC?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yes Bailey Mountain Bailey Mountain Bike Park

mtbr member
    Definitely check out Bailey Mtn Bike Park. They are open year round. As far as shuttling the forest goes you will find that it doesn't save you much time. Yes there are legal trails to shuttle, just not worth the extra vehicle to avoid a 30 min climb. Also check out Rocky Knob in Boone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm curious why the season is so short at Beech? It seems most other parks, even those further north, have longer seasons. Prior to last year, I also thought it was open until Oct. Why the change?

mtbr member
    Thanks, y'all! Bailey looks grrreat!

mtbr member
    And Bailey WAS great! Thanks y'all! Couldn't ask for a funner friendlier place.

Lone Wolf

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by -Mueller- View Post
    New for this year is "Burmese Python", which is a blue level flow and feature trail. You'll also find berms and tables sprinkled throughout the park. There is a nice small set of tables on the green trail that are great for practicing jumping. There are a bunch of berms and features on Heartbreaker. The most significant step downs and gaps are on Black bear.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	web-6106.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	240.1 KB 
ID:	1147128
    I hope to be moved and settled In the general area of Murphy or Waynesville NC by early spring. Asheville Is an option also.
    SABA | The Southern Appalachian Bicycle AssociationSABA - The Southern Appalachian Bicycle Association seems to be my new cycling club, not sure yet.
    The Internet sez I have several riding areas within an hours drive.

I will Loose and miss Alafia and Balm Boyette In Central Florida but I will gain far larger hills and grades to suffer on.
    Looking forward to all this...

Just sayin.
    “I seek only the Flow”,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

mtbr member
    Attendance drops significantly after Labor Day. Tell your friends and more people to come and they can justify staying open longer. It also takes a lot of time preparing for ski season. It's not as easy as flipping a switch like the general public thinks.