Bike Trip mid March- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Bike Trip mid March

There are four of us heading south from Canada looking for places to ride. We are intending to ride for six days so need accomodations that are relatively close to enough trails to keep us happy.
    We are not camping so looking for motel/cabin or even a house that rents weekly.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Mike

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    There are a couple of VRBO houses/cabins for rent right outside of Dupont, which puts them about 10 miles or less from Pisgah too.

mtbr member
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    There are hotels off exit 33 on I-26. That's where Bent Creek is too. If that's a place you're planning on riding, then those are the closest hotels, which are about 2-3 miles from Bent Creek. Also, if you wanna stay close to Asheville and not waste time driving, that is another reason why you should ride Bent Creek.

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    What kind of riders are you? Bent Creek is fun, but it's more XC than the Pisgah people write about.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the replies. Our local trails are defintely XC but we look forward to challenging single track when we get away. I have checked out some of the VRBO listings and there are some great looking cottages/houses available. Getting together tomorrow with the group to decide between Dupont/Pisgah and Pinhoti in Georgia.

Big Mac

Bike Trip mid March

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhs View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Our local trails are defintely XC but we look forward to challenging single track when we get away. I have checked out some of the VRBO listings and there are some great looking cottages/houses available. Getting together tomorrow with the group to decide between Dupont/Pisgah and Pinhoti in Georgia.
    It's really a no brainer. Pisgah is your answer. To travel from the great white north, and ride elsewhere, would be a shame and a sin.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Check out the Red House in Brevard. Great B and B and they also have several houses the often rent by the week. Brevard is a great location, close to Pisgah and Dupont.

mtbr member
    If you decide on North Georgia, you could stay at Mulberry Gap. Also in that area are the Aska trails, Bull mountain, and many more within an hour's drive. You cannot go wrong in Pisgah or North Georgia, IMHO.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    How are the trail networks in Pisgah and Dupont as far as being able to ride it ourselves and not miss all the good stuff. In other words do we need a guide?

mtbr member
    How are the trail networks in Pisgah and Dupont as far as being able to ride it ourselves and not miss all the good stuff. In other words do we need a guide?

Part of what makes this area fantastic is you absolutely don't NEED a guide, although Bike Farm or Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventures would do an awesome job and might be worth it for a day or two.

Otherwise, go to any LBS, buy the Pisgah Map Company map. Talk to employees if they have time about what you're looking to ride. There's some great routes on the pisgahareasorba link in my signature that, when paired with the map and a modicum of reading comprehension, are all you need. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    No, you don't need really need guides, but if you think you might need some guides, check out The Bike Farm business, they have shuttle service to get to the best of the trails faster. If you are traveling this far I would suggest using a shuttle service, it save time. A good guide will help with knowledge of the up maybe coming up on the trails. Check out the Sweet Pea Pod, stay right downtown Asheville, good food and brewery's within walking distance. Bike stores to check out for trail suggests, Billy Goat Bikes which is more gravity, Liberty Bikes has lots of trail knowledge ask the mechanics, The Hub has a little bit of everything for you, and buy the local mtb trail map with the routing. Rides to do: Old toll road, to Heartbreak, to Kitsuma; Laurel to Pilot; Butter to Cat Gap; Bennett, Avery, Lower Black are all close to each other; Bear Pen to Stair Case, South Mills River and their a few shorter trails to do maybe to get your feet wet for riding in Pisgah.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the great responses.
    What kind of weather are we likely to get mid March. We have no control over the week available to us which is March 14 - 21. Historically have the trails been snow free by then?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    What kind of weather are we likely to get mid March. We have no control over the week available to us which is March 14 - 21. Historically have the trails been snow free by then?
    You're from Canada, so maybe it will be quite warm for you. But for me, it's hit or miss. Some days in March can be sunny and in the 60s+. But other days it can be below freezing and snowing.

Edit: Snow covered trails in late March are rare.

mtbr member
    If you decide to come post day light savings there may be a few locals who can show you around during the weekdays. I would be happy to help if you can get a ride in after 5pm. Definitely buy the Pisgah Map Co. map and if you have an iphone or android phone download the Avenza PDF mapping app and the South Ranger District map from Pisgah Map co. Its like having the paper map on your phone with real time GPS location. Helps to keep you found and navigate the trails.

if you have a week I would recommend staying in Brevard. Its right next to the bulk of the riding here and this saves you the 45min drive from Asheville. Definitely check out Asheville though while your here. Great food, music, and beer town.

Like already mentioned, weather can be funny in March. You can have 70 degree days, snow, rain, and below freezing temps all in the same week.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I went down with my team last mid march. Shorts and tee weather all but 2 days one rainy day amd one cold day. But were from canada.....we stayed near brevard. Trails near the music center were close amd alot of fun. As stated, if making the long drive, it should be to Pisgah. We are heading down for march break this year too. If you see a bunch of lycra losers with canada colors, say hi!

The worst part was coming home and watching the temp fall as we got closer to the border.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    You're probably gonna get all 4 seasons in 1 week. Sorry, but that's how get it down here in March and April.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for all the great replies. Still not sure if we are heading to N. Carolina or Georgia but at least now I have some great information about N. Carolina and if we don't come down this year, we will next year.

Mike

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Been riding both for over 15 years and there is no comparison. Pisgah and Dupont are both light years better than N Ga. I've been all over the US and a couple of long trips to British Columbia and Pisgah still tickles my jollies every time.

mtbr member
    N Ga is good, but it doesn't hold a candle to the trails in the Brevard area. The something like a million miles of singletrack (ok, maybe a slight exaggeration) in that area between Pisgah, Dupont, and Bent Creek. The most popular part of the Pinhotti trail for bikers is only about 20 miles (Bear Creek, P1, P2, P3 trails), and though fun, it doesn't have near the diversity of the trails near Brevard. You can add more mileage in the Pinhotti area, but it's mainly gonna be FS road. You can drive an hour in almost every direction and find more trail, but again, none of it is better than Brevard. Lastly, there is just more going on off the bike. The Pinhotti is in the middle nowhere (you often won't even get cell phone signal), so other than a few restaurants 20 min away there's not much to do to occupy your non-riding time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    So Pisgah ......stay in Asheville? Im coming in july and advice welcome. Same thing here. advanced XC all day rides for 6 days.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    no. DO NOT stay in Asheville unless you have other interests besides riding. There is riding north,south,east, and west of Asheville, but the crux of it is near Brevard. If you are taking a long trip with riding being the sole purpose, then Brevard is the only answer. Then take a day trip to the east side to ride, and then a night or two in Asheville to party. Being anywhere other than Brevard will tie up too much time driving to Brevard.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Good job!

Thank you. Just to make sure i don't go there....Bryson city. No go to stay?

Big Mac

Bike Trip mid March

Quote Originally Posted by jomissa View Post
    Thank you. Just to make sure i don't go there....Bryson city. No go to stay?
    You certainly don't want to stay there. Brevard is where you want to stay.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    nice. thanks for the steer.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well it has been decided. Mullberry Gap it is this year. One of our party has friends down there so that swayed the vote. Next year it will be Brevard for Pisgah and Dupont for sure. Thanks to all that replied. When we do come down your way I will post on this thread to try and get a ride in with some of you.

Thanks again,
    Mike

Big Mac

Bike Trip mid March

You know what they say, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."😄

mtbr member
    May 2007
    #fail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    You know what they say, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
    Okay, Pisgah is awesome but North Georgia isn't horse poop. If you guys go to Mulberry Gap, make a day trip and ride Bull Mountain and do the Aska Trail system, in it's entirety near Blue Ridge. If you want to venture out a little further, you have Snake Creek Gap near Dalton, and Dry Creek near Villanow, GA. You also have Jack Rabbit in Hiawasee, NC. Plenty of Fire Roads if the trails are wet. Also within an hour and half is Tanasi near Ducktown, TN, and Chilhowee near Reliance, TN. If I could make it down on a Sunday, I know that area well. Where you are staying, you have Pinhoti 1-2-3 and 4, Bear Creek and if you want to ride more, you have Mountain Town Trail but it's a haul on gravel from Mulberry Gap. I just rode all the trail in the Mulberry Gap on Sunday on my fat bike. I love riding there. I think you will love the area. I would move there in a heart beat if the right opportunity presented itself.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks robertdavid. We are planning to do Snake Creek Gap for sure as well as Bull Mountain. As an added bonus we are taking a slight detour on the way home to check out the underground bike park at Mega Cavern in Louisville Kentucky.

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Just saying, I am also trying to plan a trip to ride, end of April it seems and after seeing this thread, doing some google'ing and youtube watching, I am definatley making Pisgah our #1 target.
    Awesome info from you guys and it looks and sounds like heaven on earth to ride! I too am coming from Canada and will most likely drive it.
    Dont hate on me for asking, but how "weed friendly" is Brevard? All my buddies wanna ride in Colorado for that very reason lol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

friendly?

I have since edited this reply to.....Really Dude? Really????
    Last edited by jomissa; 01-31-2015 at 08:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks robertdavid. We are planning to do Snake Creek Gap for sure as well as Bull Mountain. As an added bonus we are taking a slight detour on the way home to check out the underground bike park at Mega Cavern in Louisville Kentucky.
    Okay, just got back from riding the Aska Trail system on Sunday and a gravel ride today to recover if that is possible in this area. You need to put this on your to do list and ride the entire thing in one day. You will either thank me or hate me when it is over. I started the ride at the end of the Green Mountain trail so I could finish with a downhill which means you start going up and get your climbing legs prepared. I rode up Green Mountain to the connector trail, to the top of Green Mountain which is about 3.5 miles of ST climbing right out of the car. Then down to Aska road and across the road to Flat Creek which I did clockwise which is a mofo of a rocky climb about 2 to 3 miles into the trail. Then up and over Stanley Gap which is another mofo of a climb and is out and back so what you are going up you will come back down and what you go down on the back side, you will come back up. I love it either way. I then do Flat Creek Counter clock-wise and head back across Aska road and go back up and down Green Mountain in reverse to the connector trail but take a right and descend until it drops into the Long Branch loop, do the loop and then climb back up Green Mountain Connector and ride the trail back to my car, what I first came up. Get a map and do it. My route with some gravel was about 38 total miles and avg speed was 7.1 mph. Don't laugh, that is pretty good on this stuff. You will love Stanley Gap and Flat Creek, for sure and the rest of the trail system will get your attention as well. Just a suggestion.