Bike shop with HammerSchmidt tool?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Bike shop with HammerSchmidt tool?

I'm finally getting around to assembling my new frame and dont want to buy $500 worth of tools . Anyone know of a shop that has the Truvativ HammerSchmidt Facing Tool Assembly and also knows how to use it?
    I'm in Spartanburg but I'm not afraid to drive, so if you know of a shop in NC, SC, eastern TN or northern GA that does or even might have it, please let me know and I'll give them a call....
    Thanks

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    That's normally served with sauerkraut right?

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireGoose
    That's normally served with sauerkraut right?
    And don't forget the potatoes. If its German it has to have potatoes too.
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

pronounced may-duh
    Have you called your local shop?

mtbr member
    I'd call Liberty. Everything else aside, they always have the best chance of having something obscure or new tech.
    Guessing The Hub or Sycamore are your next best bets in WNC.

Otherwise, try Atlanta Pro Bikes. Yes, it's Atlanta. I also strongly wager they'll have your tool.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown

If Park Tool makes one, Sams bound to have it at the Hub. Have you seen their tool wall, good God it's a thing of beauty.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    email Steve Stickel DFL here on MTBR he has installed several HammerSchmidt on several recent builds. He's in Brevard bystickel at gmail dot com

mtbr member
    I got a heads-up about this over the weekend.

If your frame was machines after welding, then all you will need to do is to remove any paint from the ISCG surfaces and BB face. If this was done, then it satisfies the instructions' requirements. If you determine that the machining was done, then careful application of paint stripper is the best way to remove that paint.

I have built a few ISCG-tabbed frames for Hammerschmidt. I do not have the facing tool, so I do the facing on a vertical mill. It's as good as or better than using the facing tool.

Send me a message if you need more help with it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    Have you called your local shop?
    I wouldnt be searching 3 other states otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    I'd call Liberty. Everything else aside, they always have the best chance of having something obscure or new tech.

Otherwise, try Atlanta Pro Bikes. Yes, it's Atlanta. I also strongly wager they'll have your tool.
    I called Liberty while I was in Asheville this weekend and no luck. I'll try those other 3 this week, Thanks. [Atlanta = road trip; road trip = happy GF]

Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    email Steve Stickel DFL here on MTBR he has installed several HammerSchmidt on several recent builds. He's in Brevard bystickel at gmail dot com
    The guys at YoungBlood tried to get in touch with him while I was there, I havent heard back from either but I'll send him a message here.

Thanks for the tips!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by D.F.L.
    I got a heads-up about this over the weekend.

If your frame was machines after welding, then all you will need to do is to remove any paint from the ISCG surfaces and BB face. If this was done, then it satisfies the instructions' requirements. If you determine that the machining was done, then careful application of paint stripper is the best way to remove that paint.

I have built a few ISCG-tabbed frames for Hammerschmidt. I do not have the facing tool, so I do the facing on a vertical mill. It's as good as or better than using the facing tool.

Send me a message if you need more help with it.
    They told me it might alredy be faced and to remove the paint, but the frame is anodized so there isnt much to remove.... I did some measuring this weekend and the tabs are offset a bit (something like .7mm for one side and.6mm for the other) so from reading the instructions it looks like it may be best to have it faced so its an even 1mm all the way around? The BB shell is almost at its minimum width (72.83 or something if i remember...)

mtbr member
    Who made it and what did they say about when the facing was done?

Don't worry about the shell width. Both the BB and the tabs can be shimmed to bring it up if it's below spec. It's not a big deal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by D.F.L.
    Who made it and what did they say about when the facing was done?

Don't worry about the shell width. Both the BB and the tabs can be shimmed to bring it up if it's below spec. It's not a big deal.
    Just pm'd you....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm in the same situation as ein86 but live in San Gabriel Valley area of California. I have a 2009 Titus EG and need a shop who has a Truvativ HammerSchmidt ISCG Facing tool. I called LBS and no one seems to have a tool. I also called Titus and they said that a HS has been done before on said bike but the only issue was the tabs needed facing. Does anyone know of a shop in the Los Angeles area with a tool?

Thanks,
    I don't care if I fall as long as someone else picks up my bike and keeps on riding.

Members who have read this thread: 0