Between here & Philly...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Between here & Philly...

Planning a road trip to Philly and would love to hit as many trails as I can between here and there...willing to take a bit of a detour if needed! Please let me know of any "gotta hit" trails in VA or eastern NC (maybe Maryland or E PA as well)

Just give me the trail name & town...I am more than willing to do the research to find out how to get there!

Thank you!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

VA Options

If your route takes you through the Roanoke, VA area, my recommendations are North Mountain (Dragon's Back Race Course), Ft. Lewis Mountain (off the beaten path), or Carvin's Cove (the Bent Creek equivalent in Roanoke). I haven't been to Douthat State Park, but I hear that is a great option as well.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
    - Abraham Lincoln

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Douthat is awesome. Ride the Middle Mountain Momma Course
    Sherando is great as well. Also good camping (close to Staunton)
    The Southern Traverse is also great (an IMBA epic)

Lots to choose from. You could also spend some time in the Goerge Washington around Harrisonburg, VA

mtbr member
    +1 on Douthat. Super fun place with excellent camping. Well worth a detour. Just need to reserve a campsite ahead of time because it fills up fast.

pronounced may-duh
    Like others have mentioned

Dragons back and Southern Traverse are gnarly pisgahish back country rides. Both can be looped but require long stretches of pavement. I've had the fortune to ride them point to point with a shuttle

Douthat & Carvins Cove are also very fun with many miles of fast and flowing single track.

Some others that I haven't ridden but heard are good: Iron Mtn, Pandapas Pond, Slatty Fork, Massanuten

VA has some awesome trails

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I forgot about Pandapas. It's pretty good as well and I always enjoy riding there. It sees a lot more multi-use traffic than something like Dragon's Back/North Mountain. I rarely encounter anyone on N.Mtn. A non-shuttle option that is a great ride is to park at the Dragon's Tooth lot, ride up the trail (on the other side of the road) to the ridge, go down Deer trail, rt. on Fire Rd., rt. on Grouse tr., up to ridge and take it back to your car.
    Last edited by bd279; 09-17-2010 at 07:42 AM.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
    - Abraham Lincoln

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Schaeffer Farms in German town MD is really nice to. Lots of great manicured well taken care of trails. Went a few different places in MD on my last trip and Schaeffer Farms was my favorite but Patapsco was good as well. From what I hear Schaeffer has a great night riding scene and their Thursday night group rides are packed, I have never seen so many bikers in one spot before. That area of MD makes you want to move there, so be careful not to look around to much when you are driving through.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Senor StrongBad
    Schaeffer Farms in German town MD is really nice to. Lots of great manicured well taken care of trails. Went a few different places in MD on my last trip and Schaeffer Farms was my favorite but Patapsco was good as well. From what I hear Schaeffer has a great night riding scene and their Thursday night group rides are packed, I have never seen so many bikers in one spot before. That area of MD makes you want to move there, so be careful not to look around to much when you are driving through.
    I grew up in MD and rode Schaeffer a lot after they opened the initial 3.5 mi loop in 95...It was difficult to see the trail for the first several months given so few people knew about it. It is a super fun place to night ride and a little creepy considering the number of Blair Witch scenes which were filmed just below the trail along Black Rock Rd...

To the OP, if you head up 81 and ride the spots mentioned above in VA, you can take 340 over the Potomac to Frederick, MD and ride the trail mentioned above (25 min south of Frederick) and also ride Gambrills State Park and the nearby Frederick County Watershed -which is my favorite place to ride up north. The Watershed is completely unmarked and it's easy to get turned around so post on the MD forum and try to get a local to show you around. It would be a worthwhile stop. It is super rocky and technical. You can take 15 north and jump on 76 east and be in Philly in ~ 2hrs from this part of MD

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    I have heard lots of good stuff about the Watershed. Do you know if it is open to the public. I see, to remember them cracking down on people using the trail last I was up there. I think that is why I didn't ride it?

mtbr member
    Thanks!!! Lots of good info...let the mapping begin!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Senor StrongBad
    I have heard lots of good stuff about the Watershed. Do you know if it is open to the public. I see, to remember them cracking down on people using the trail last I was up there. I think that is why I didn't ride it?
    That was some illegal freeride type stuff from what I understand..

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm from Philly and heading to Asheville in a week and saw your post...

At the DE/MD border there is Fairhill Reserve has about 80 miles of trails, mostly XC, but a little technical and make a great all day ride. They sell maps at the office for $6

Just above Newark DE is Middle run and Whiteclay Creek that connect together for some of the fastest, smootest single track anywhere. They have great berms, bridges... and trails are super fast and fun. Probably the best maintained trails on the East Coast. In Philly there is Wissihickon Park and it is about as technical and rough as it gets in some places. So pick you poison and enjoy!
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

Members who have read this thread: 0