best weather trick yet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

best weather trick yet

Those who know me know I am fascinated by maps and GPS. Today I was hunting for a better way to check the radar and see where it was raining in Pisgah so as to pick the best rides. You see, as the locals know, it can pour down at Daniel Ridge and be totally dry on Avery Creek.

Well, as usual, you have a question and the internet has an answer

The only trick to this trick is you need Google Earth. Other than that it is amazingly simple.

Head to the National Weather Service Enhanced Radar Image page and you can use the handy-dandy form to create your own KMZ file that overlays the radar (still or loops) onto Google Earth. This is the kmz link for the NWS radar station in Greer, SC which is the closest/best radar to Brevard.
    I used the form input for 'Single Image Loop by Radar', Radar Location = Greer, SC, Radar Image = Base Reflectivity and got this KMZ file in return. NWS_GSP_N0R_RadarLoop.kmz

If you have Google Earth then it will come up when you click the link and you will be able to zoom in on any of the local riding areas - from Paris Mtn all the way out to Kitsuma.

In the top left of the Google Earth window there's a control for the looping and the radar images will update if you start/stop the loop. You can use the little wrench icon to configure the speed of the loop. So far my experience is that it's damn accurate. For added enjoyment you can put your own (or a friends) GPS routes into Google Earth and view the radar and the route overlayed to see exactly where it is raining in relation to your favorite trail.

Looks like a wet night in Pisgah BTW....
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member

That's Magic!

...so I clicked on your second link and my computer asked if I wanted to open it with Google Earth (which I've been playing on for a couple years) and I'm automatically looking at the rain dumping on DSF, where I have several Google Earth tracks on file--THANKS!
    TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

mtbr member
    Or you could just look out the window and see if it is raining.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    I wish it would rain in Asheville, I think our weather here is hilarious- I have drought like conditions at my house and hear about all this rain down in b-vard.

FYI: I'm quite possibly a bigger gardening dork than a cycling dork. That's why I actually like rainy days...

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    I tried the link from my work computer and it blocked some features the page was trying to load... good old firewall.... I personally use weather.com .... type in my zip and go to the interactive map, which allows me to see the past and a predictive future. It works real well to. My trails are only a few miles from my work but there weather is completely different. It will be monsooning here and a mile before I get to the trail everything stops and vice versa. So if your work computer is blocking the other site try weather.com

When I get home though I will try the other site. It might be better then the one I use.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Still surfin in my 60's.
    Was driving S. on 105 back of Grandfather Mountain, a man was on a green on a golf course putting in a snow shower, drove around to the E. side of Grandfather and the sun was shining. Mountain weather can be weird.
    So you think you can jump!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by M_US_E30
    very nice I like the extras like the river guage reporting and the topo overlay, but you need to know where the trails are based only on the topo

Any idea what the Road Trip overlay does? I have Garmin "Road Trip" and it would be great if I could put my routes into the map and get similar result to Google earth through the browser (or your phone!). So GEarth does the looping better, but wunderground has good instant results with added feature of the topography.
    many gears, some pies

Thread Killer
    Any chance this can be opened in Google Maps/Earth feature via Google.com?

Members who have read this thread: 0