Best way to ride Kitsuma/Heartbreak/Star gap?- Mtbr.com
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015

Best way to ride Kitsuma/Heartbreak/Star gap?

Can you drive a car up Curtis creek to the BRP? I'd rather climb back to the car after.
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Park in Graphite across from SUWS. Ride Mill Creek to Kitsuma. Descend Kitsuma. Climb Lookout Point. Go through Ridgecrest (you may need to call in advance?) to Old Toll. Climb Old Toll to Heartbreak. Descend Heartbreak/Star Gap to car.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jamatt View Post
    Park in Graphite across from SUWS. Ride Mill Creek to Kitsuma. Descend Kitsuma. Climb Lookout Point. Go through Ridgecrest (you may need to call in advance?) to Old Toll. Climb Old Toll to Heartbreak. Descend Heartbreak/Star Gap to car.
    Thanks, Ridgecrest is closed for season or something it's says on mtbr. What would be a detour?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    Thanks, Ridgecrest is closed for season or something it's says on mtbr. What would be a detour?
    Call Ridgecrest. They should be open. They close around Memorial Day for camp season. We've been through there in February and in March.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Enter Ridgecrest and take the steep road to the left of the gate. They've sent me that way the last two times I went through, last time they just waved me that way when I went to check in at the gate. But, tbh, it sucks and I prefer to take the longer way around.
    Wild_Card

mtbr member
    I park at SUWS/bottom of Heartbreak and take Mill Creek Rd to do the normal Kitsuma loop. Then I just do an out and back on Heartbreak.

IMO out and back is the most fun, and easiest way to do it next to shuttling. Its no more difficult than pushing up through Ridgecrest/Toll Road.

They've also reworked the lower Heartbreak/Star Gap so all the switchbacks are ride-able both up and down.
    On your left!

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    I park at SUWS/bottom of Heartbreak and take Mill Creek Rd to do the normal Kitsuma loop. Then I just do an out and back on Heartbreak.

IMO out and back is the most fun, and easiest way to do it next to shuttling. Its no more difficult than pushing up through Ridgecrest/Toll Road.

They've also reworked the lower Heartbreak/Star Gap so all the switchbacks are ride-able both up and down.
    How would you shuttle heartbreak? That's something I meant to ask in my OP also for when my buddies come on bro bikes.

mtbr member
    How would you shuttle heartbreak? That's something I meant to ask in my OP also for when my buddies come on bro bikes.
    Up Curtis Creek road to the Parkway...

Curtis Creek rd should be opening up pretty soon (gated now). Its a long shuttle for a short descent in my opinion but you can get more than one run in a day with alot of driving in between.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I rode up CCR Saturday and there's some sections that are going to need work before opening. Not anywhere near the climbing-rope-section of JCR but not passable by most autos.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    Call Ridgecrest. They should be open. They close around Memorial Day for camp season. We've been through there in February and in March.
    I actually called a couple weeks ago and the gate told me just sign in like usual. Same as in the past.

I agree about the steep rd through ridgecrest and rattlesnake - it's brutal. Still my favorite route. If shuttling I would park one car at the geyser and start at lookout trailhead (lower toll is pretty cool riding) or Appalachian way gate

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I live next to here and this is how I ride it: Put a car at the bottom of heartbreak (Andrews geyser). Jump in a truck and park at the end of Appalachian way in Montreat. Ride old Mitchell toll road to heartbreak. You could do this same route as a loop if you don't want to set a truck, its about 24 miles.

mtbr member
    I did it as a loop. Parked at the brewery in Black Mountain, up Appalachian way (steep AF in some areas) and back up Mill Creek to the brewery. I won't be doing that again. I'm kidding myself if I say I like XC riding.

mtbr member
    Point Lookout trail closes on Monday for repairs...

Nebo, NC, March 8, 2019 - The Point Lookout Trail on the Grandfather Ranger District of the Pisgah National Forest will temporarily close for repairs and maintenance starting Monday, March 11.

The closure is expected to last one week or until work is complete if weather delays progress. The trail in eastern McDowell County sustained damage from a tropical storm in May, 2018. Several landslides occurred along the trail, limiting access and causing safety concerns for visitors.

Contractors will clear the ditch line, landslides, fallen trees, and overgrown vegetation. This work is made possible by a generous contribution from the non-profit McDowell Trails Association.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post

Thanks everyone for tips. I went with this route. I was suprised how much different the "heckle zone" for ORAMM looks in person. It's super well manicured with drainage and rock stacks. I was expecting Carnage based on YouTube videos.

Do you think it would be okay to camp by the railroad tracks on the way to Heartbreak? There were a couple Toyotas parked there, my van has high clearance I would love to be able to boondock at the bottom of heartbreak.
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks everyone for tips. I went with this route. I was suprised how much different the "heckle zone" for ORAMM looks in person. It's super well manicured with drainage and rock stacks. I was expecting Carnage based on YouTube videos.

Do you think it would be okay to camp by the railroad tracks on the way to Heartbreak? There were a couple Toyotas parked there, my van has high clearance I would love to be able to boondock at the bottom of heartbreak.
    I rode it last week with my 11yo son and lower HB is really different (awesome!) with the switchbacks cleaned up (and rollers/grade dips in between from where they sourced the dirt). My son was able to ride all the switchbacks, which were his favorite part of the loop. The carnage section is far more rideable than in past years with the rock re-work

I'd be hesitant to camp by the tracks given some of the vehicles/individuals I've seen come up the hill and continue up the double track that goes to the right up that hill...There is a nice campground in Montreat and free camping along Curtis creek rd and FS472 on the other side of the parkway

Sad to see Old Man Toyota appears to have been gone from his cabin on the OTR for a number of years. Used to enjoy stopping to chat with him

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29ftw View Post
    I rode it last week with my 11yo son and lower HB is really different (awesome!) with the switchbacks cleaned up (and rollers/grade dips in between from where they sourced the dirt). My son was able to ride all the switchbacks, which were his favorite part of the loop.
    Thanks, thatís great to hear! 🤙