• 09-28-2016
    Pjerm
    Best trails at Pigsah for downhill style biking
    My friends and I are planning on hitting Bailey Mt and then do some riding at Pigsah. I'm looking for some advice on what trails we should focus on that offer good downhill features in the Pigsah area. We'll be using our full sus bikes. Appreciate the feedback!
  • 09-28-2016
    Timothy G. Parrish
    Bennett. Buckwheat. Middle Black.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
  • 09-28-2016
    Acme54321
    What kind of bikes are you riding? Most of the downhills in Pisgah require miles of climbing. Bennett is the only thing easily shuttleable if you are riding DH bikes.
  • 09-28-2016
    2bfluid
    Farlow. Big Creek. East side of Turkey Pen Gap Trail.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  • 09-28-2016
    joebikesdirect
    Second vote for Shuttle Bennet. If you can scope out some pre-ride videos.
    I have done it "blind" and on a 100mm travel bike. It would be more fun the second time and on a longer travel bike :)
  • 09-28-2016
    Lithified
    Avery Creek is a chunder fest right now. Such a good rip from top of Black through Club Gap and into the Avery chute.
  • 09-28-2016
    mbmb65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Avery Creek is a chunder fest right now. Such a good rip from top of Black through Club Gap and into the Avery chute.

I agree. Avery creek is currently more fun than it probably ever has been. But you gotta pedal to get there.
  • 09-29-2016
    profro
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    I agree. Avery creek is currently more fun than it probably ever has been. But you gotta pedal to get there.

as it should be.....
  • 09-29-2016
    Banjopickin
    +1 for Avery Creek.

Its not a bad ride/push up from the bottom of Club gap to get there.

Its riding AWESOME now and is as technical as I've seen it. Theres a nice gap on the right close to the top to gap over a big rock/gully... super fun! Everyone thinks Bennet has the tough moves but Avery has quality stuff as well. Plus all you gotta do when you finish is pedal up a bit of 477 to get back to Bennet. Thats an underrated loop IMO...
  • 09-29-2016
    profro
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Plus all you gotta do when you finish is pedal up a bit of 477 to get back to Bennet.

Damn, I should have done that last week. We ended up doing Buckwheat to Bennett, would have been rad to get Avery in there too. Never thought of that as a loop.
  • 09-29-2016
    Banjopickin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by profro View Post
    Damn, I should have done that last week. We ended up doing Buckwheat to Bennett, would have been rad to get Avery in there too. Never thought of that as a loop.

Its probably more than "a bit" of pedaling haha... but its not bad. No worse than doing Claw/Maxwell to Middle Black.

My loop is up Clawhammer->Black left->Avery->Bennet-> back up Claw/Maxwell to Middle Black->Lower Black. Avery is better than Upper Black for gnar I think. That loop gets you all the chunk you can handle and then some!
  • 09-29-2016
    profro
    The Buckwheat DH towards Bennett is spectacular, but you gotta want it. Lots of hike-a-bike up for me. But it has some really good sections. To be honest, I like the sound of back up 477 to Bennett versus back up Maxwell for Lower Black.
  • 09-29-2016
    Acme54321
    Quote:

Its probably more than "a bit" of pedaling haha... but its not bad. No worse than doing Claw/Maxwell to Middle Black.

My loop is up Clawhammer->Black left->Avery->Bennet-> back up Claw/Maxwell to Middle Black->Lower Black. Avery is better than Upper Black for gnar I think. That loop gets you all the chunk you can handle and then some!

Aren't you missing a substantial climb between Avery and Bennett?
  • 09-29-2016
    Sugar_Brad
    Green Slick
  • 09-29-2016
    Sugar_Brad
    That was a joke. Seriously though...You would probably have way more fun on smaller bikes in the forest just sayin'. You would have more bang for your buck if you just went to Bailey.
  • 09-29-2016
    Timothy G. Parrish
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    That was a joke. Seriously though...You would probably have way more fun on smaller bikes in the forest just sayin'. You would have more bang for your buck if you just went to Bailey.

Totally disagree, and Pisgah is free.

• 09-29-2016
    Banjopickin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Acme54321 View Post
    Aren't you missing a substantial climb between Avery and Bennett?

"substantial" is a subjective term. There is some climbing for sure but how difficult it is depends on the rider. Im not saying im some badass but to me the climb back up 477 to do Bennet is totally worth it. Its just gravel.
  • 09-29-2016
    Lithified
    This thread completes me. Awesome suggestions. Gotta hit the gap on Avery it looks g2g but I'm always solo!

Also I know it's not gnar gnar dynamite but Trace can be downright irresponsible these days.
  • 09-29-2016
    Timothy G. Parrish
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    This thread completes me. Awesome suggestions. Gotta hit the gap on Avery it looks g2g but I'm always solo!

Also I know it's not gnar gnar dynamite but Trace can be downright irresponsible these days.

Trace can be a trip after all the leaves fall on the ground and you descend blindly full speed ahead. [emoji51]

• 09-30-2016
    2bfluid
    BTW it has been raining big ass marbles all over the forest. Some of the entrenched trails literally have puddles of BIG acorns. It's awesome.

The old lower trace ridge is an easy peazy ride back up the reroute or shuttle-able. There is a sign up but I don't think it was officially closed. I will check on it today. It is short but awesome and worthy of 6" of travel.

Y'all remember that there is a dual slalom race Saturday at the REEB Ranch. As of yesterday and had a few slots left. It's free for spectators.

• 09-30-2016
    Banjopickin
    I rode Trace and both new and old Lower Trace last night. Old Lower Trace has a sign that says closed but its still totally ridable... actually a bit easier than it used to be but still plenty blown out and stupid haha. New LT is bedding in really nice. I hadnt been on it in a few months and its great.

Trace proper is a rip! its gotten pretty rowdy up top. Really gullied out and about as burly as I have seen it. Just point it straight and hang the f*** on!
  • 09-30-2016
    2bfluid
    I checked and even though there is a sign, it wasn't technically or officially closed.

Great short technical section of trail, especially after bombing Upper Trace Ridge.

• 09-30-2016
    Sugar_Brad
    Maybe I should clarify. "Smaller bikes" as in not DH bikes. You could do some shuttling I guess if that's what you guys are into. Regardless I hope you guys have an awesome time!
  • 10-01-2016
    Adodero
    Quote:

"Black left" is Upper Black, correct? Isn't that like a 45min hike-a-bike or am I confusing it with something else?
  • 10-01-2016
    Acme54321
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    "Black left" is Upper Black, correct? Isn't that like a 45min hike-a-bike or am I confusing it with something else?

No, upper black is the section from the top of black mountain down to the firepit. He is talking about the part of black that goes the other way from clawhammer to the top of Avery Creek.
  • 10-03-2016
    Pjerm
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. It looks like we'll have plenty to do. I'm looking on maps for the 477 road but can't seem to find it.... Any other names for that road? Avery Creek road???
  • 10-03-2016
    Pjerm
    We will have 160mm travel bikes. Yes, we know it may be a bit much, but it's what we are brining to Bailey. We know climbing is going to be a *****, but we got all day. We got this!
  • 10-04-2016
    2bfluid
    If you are coming to PISGAH this weekend the Third Coast Enduro series will be in town and hitting several of the trails mentioned.

• 10-04-2016
    Lithified
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pjerm View Post
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. It looks like we'll have plenty to do. I'm looking on maps for the 477 road but can't seem to find it.... Any other names for that road? Avery Creek road???

Yes Avery Creek Road = FS 477

160 bikes will be absolutely perfect. Enjoy the woods and be safe.
  • 10-04-2016
    Lithified
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 2bfluid View Post
    If you are coming to PISGAH this weekend the Third Coast Enduro series will be in town and hitting several of the trails mentioned.

*Saturday only
  • 10-04-2016
    Pjerm
    We'll be there in a few weeks during mid week.
  • 11-06-2016
    man.cave
    cant believe nobody mentions Pilot
  • 11-07-2016
    jm2e
    Quote:

Originally Posted by man.cave View Post
    cant believe nobody mentions Pilot

Because it's great for regulars looking to log some long miles and a change of pace. But for the first timer to Pisgah who's downhill oriented, the mandatory road plus endless slog up Laurel is a sucker punch. Send someone that way and he won't be on the interwebz bragging to his friends about the awesome ratio of climbing to descending at world famous Pisgah.
    Don't get me wrong, Pilot is an epic fun downhill. Just at an imbalance to the time and effort it takes to get there. I'd seriously rather hike up it and come back down if just going for the downhill fun. Though, adding Pilot Cove into the ride makes the full loop a lot more fun all around.
  • 11-07-2016
    man.cave
    I'm just an old school purest who believes you should earn ur downhill unless you are at a bike park. That's mtn biking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk