Best trails with 2 hours of Raleigh/Durham??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Best trails with 2 hours of Raleigh/Durham??

I'm headed to RTP next week and have a day free, so I'm looking for some good trails within a 2 hour drive, and with a LBS nearby that rents bikes. Any suggestions?

So far, I've found:
    1) Chapel Hill Trails, renting from The Bicycle Chain.
    2) Uwharrie, renting from Middle Ring Cycles.

Which has the better trails for an intermediate level rider?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

pronounced may-duh
    Go to this website. Lots of good info at http://www.trianglemtb.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Brucer...you get square away on TMTB? You can e-mail me or check the links in my signature for more resources.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Maida & David,

TMTB was my starting point for getting most of the info that I have.

For the Chapel Hill trails, although I can rent a bike from the Bicycle Chain in Chapel Hill, they don't rent bike carriers for the rental car, so it looks like I'd just stick to the Chapel Hill trails.

For Uwharrie, Middle Ring Cycles does have bike carriers, so I can get the bike to the trailhead(s) no problem.

As long as I don't mind the drive to Uwharrie, that seems like the best option so far.

Are there any other options that I'm missing?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Uwharrie seems like your best option. Not too informed about shops that rent a carrier...

CNF is somewhat difficult to navigate. If your schedule is permitting you to ride after 5 on a weekday, I can take you around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for the offer to show me around David. But right now I'm pretty sure my riding will be before 5.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The Chapel Hill trails are great but are a bit difficult to navigate until you're familiar with them.

I'd vote for Beaver Dam, New Light (currently only open on Sunday), and the various trails in the vicinity of Lake Crabtree.

More than likely you can easily get a guide for the trails in the Lake Crabtree area and add some mileage in Umstead as well. Just ask on the TriangleMTB website and surely somebody will be out there at the same time as you.

Uwharrie is a bit of a drive from the Triangle area but there are several moderate to steep climbs on the horse and OHV trails. The Wood Run trail system is a good short little ride but probably not a destination ride.

If you rent from the BicycleChain in Raleigh, you'll be in spitting distance of the Umstead entrance and they can tell you about all the trails in the area as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Come on over to Greensboro.
    I've been riding Uwharrie for 15 years and it's ok (no offense to anyone)......I think mile for mile our stuff is better.
    We're set up as out and backs and you can string together a nice 30 mile round trip ride with techy to flowy st and a lot of variety.
    You'll have to rent the bike elsewhere.
    If you're interested, shoot me a PM - I'm a mile from the trails.

May 2008
    Add 30 more minutes to your drive and go to Dark Mtn. in Wilkesboro. It's definitely worth the drive!

Here's a little video of the Overmountain Victory Trail.

Google location of trail with GPS of route.
    Last edited by Mickey650b; 04-25-2009 at 01:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

30 minutes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey650b
    Add 30 more minutes to your drive and go to Dark Mtn. in Wilkesboro. It's definitely worth the drive!

Here's a little video of the Overmountain Victory Trail.

Google location of trail with GPS of route.
    Please tell me the short cut you have in mind for him b/c it would cut an hour off of my drive time getting up there each Saturday.......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsomtb
    Come on over to Greensboro.
    I've been riding Uwharrie for 15 years and it's ok (no offense to anyone)......I think mile for mile our stuff is better.
    We're set up as out and backs and you can string together a nice 30 mile round trip ride with techy to flowy st and a lot of variety.
    You'll have to rent the bike elsewhere.
    If you're interested, shoot me a PM - I'm a mile from the trails.
    I'm with GSO on this one. No disrespect to the Uwharrie guys, but for someone visiting RTP there is no reason to drive all the way to Uwharrie. New Light, Lake Crabtree, Chapel Hill, Owl's Roost, or Wild Turkey...depends on whether you want techy, or fast and flowy. These places have you covered. I will say that for climbing, Uwharrie put me in a world of hurt last time. And I tend to like that sorta thing
    "Caught my first tube this morning....sir!"

May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gsomtb
    Please tell me the short cut you have in mind for him b/c it would cut an hour off of my drive time getting up there each Saturday.......
    Just going by Google maps. Can't speak for the actual driving time to get there, because I don't live in Raleigh/Durham. But here is the Durham Google Map I referenced.

And from Raleigh according to Google Maps is another 40 minutes added to the 2 hour drive.

Members who have read this thread: 0