Best tires for NC trails- Mtbr.com
    Auto-x addict

Best tires for NC trails

Hi all.

I will be moving to the Charlotte area from L.A. in a few weeks, and was wondering about tire selection.

I ride aggressive XC and light freeride at an intermediate level so, if anyone would like to hook up and show me some trails, I will be there May 5.

Thanks.

Official Cooler Inspector

Me first, me first!

Round ones with little knobs!

http://www.smallbrowndog.com/

Check these folks for local info.

M-U-M/Lwac

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Kenda Blue Groove in the front and the Nevegal in the rear. Everyone around me is quickly making the switch to them. Rocks, roots, mud, hardpack, you name it, these tires hook.

banjo plunker, wrench
    I concur with above choices...the new Kenda Stick-E tread compounds are "spot-on" around the trails and mountains in the area. The Blue Grooves sport a little different tread pattern than the Nevegals. The Blue Grooves are less aggressive, but still bite. The Nevegals are a very aggressive tread pattern, and hook up great in loamy or soft soil, or on wet roots and rocks. You didn't mention tire size...guessing about a 2.35, you can go 2.5 front and rear if you have the clearance. The kevlar beaded ones will probably suit you better. L8TR Dawg

Auto-x addict

2.35 Maxxis Minions...

Quote Originally Posted by swaneedawg
    I concur with above choices...the new Kenda Stick-E tread compounds are "spot-on" around the trails and mountains in the area. The Blue Grooves sport a little different tread pattern than the Nevegals. The Blue Grooves are less aggressive, but still bite. The Nevegals are a very aggressive tread pattern, and hook up great in loamy or soft soil, or on wet roots and rocks. You didn't mention tire size...guessing about a 2.35, you can go 2.5 front and rear if you have the clearance. The kevlar beaded ones will probably suit you better. L8TR Dawg
    ....work very well on the rocks and loose over hardpack conditions we have here in the Santa Monicas and San Gabriels, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't something better there, as conditions are so different.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into the Kendas.

rob
    slakDawg
    I've been running 2.5 Weirwolf upfront/2.24 Motoraptor rear on Rhyno Lites for the mountains, FR, and well most all conditions. Now that the trails are bone dry and super fast, I'll put on the lighter wheelset with a 2.1 Ritchey Speedmax on the back and a 2.1 Velociraptor front. But I'm wierd and cheap, so my choices are dependent on what's on sale or in the case of the Velociraptor, something I had lying around the last 5-6 years.

Definitely check out http://www.smallbrowndog.com (wearing a SBD shirt right now) That's where the poop goes down. Also, check out this other thread http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=6946

Jul 2003

Bontrager

I've been running Bontrager Jones tires (usually the 2.2 in front and the 2.1 in back) on NC trails for the past 5 years and they are outstanding except in extreme mud. I like them better than any of Panaracer or WTB's offerings. Sometimes you can find them cheap at PricePoint.