Best riding near Cornelius, NC?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Best riding near Cornelius, NC?

Hey all,

I moved to Cornelius, NC about 8 months ago from MA. I'm loving the riding here. You guys have it REAL good, the trails are amazing here.

Lately I've been looking for some more challenging epic terrain. What are some places to go for more long, technical riding? I like to ride sketchy stuff, and downhills occationally too. I've already been to Pee Wee's, White Water Center, Fisher Farm, Lake Norman State Park, North Mecklanburgh, Poston and few others nearby. All are great but is there any suggestion for 'must ride' places withing a few hours away?

mtbr member
    Just get on I-40 West towards Asheville and head to Dupont or Pisgah. Many references to those trails on this forum. The Dark Mountain trails near Newton are not too far from you either. I have never been there, but I heard they are a blast.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Dark Mtn IS a blast.
    If you link up Dk Mtn proper with OVT with Warrior's Creek back thru OVT you'll have a heck of a ride.
    Maybe an hour and a half or so from Cornelius?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    where abouts in Ma did you come from?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gsomtb
    Dark Mtn IS a blast.
    If you link up Dk Mtn proper with OVT with Warrior's Creek back thru OVT you'll have a heck of a ride.
    Maybe an hour and a half or so from Cornelius?

I'm totally going to hit up Dark Mountain. It looks like it's only an hour away from me which is not too bad at all. Thanks for the tip!

-kirk

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnycactus
    where abouts in Ma did you come from?
    I lived in Arlington (near Cambridge), then I lived in Boxborough for a few months before transplanting Cornelius. I really don't want to move for a LONG time. What about you?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike
    Just get on I-40 West towards Asheville and head to Dupont or Pisgah. Many references to those trails on this forum. The Dark Mountain trails near Newton are not too far from you either. I have never been there, but I heard they are a blast.

Sweet, thanks for the advice on where to go. I have heard a lot about Pisgah. Can it be biked alone or is it asking for trouble to do this? I ride a lot by myself just becuase my schedule is always changing. I'm going to try and hit up Dark Mountain next since it's pretty close. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDiggler
    I lived in Arlington (near Cambridge), then I lived in Boxborough for a few months before transplanting Cornelius. I really don't want to move for a LONG time. What about you?
    Lived in Central Ma (Gardner) up until about 4 years ago. use to ride vietnam/lynn woods/leominster state forest ALOT.

Members who have read this thread: 0