Best ride at Wilson's Creek Pisgah?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Best ride at Wilson's Creek Pisgah?

I think I've finally convinced my buddies to drive the extra hour to ride Wilson's creek as none of us have ever done it and the weather looks epic this weekend. Having never been up there, what the best ride?

Climbing up and bombing down Yancy Ridge seems like our style of ride and the most likely option, but if there are better rides/loops out there I'm open to anything.

mtbr member
    Yancey is an awesome loop, and is in pretty good shape right now too. Its a pretty solid loop by itself, but you can also add on a Schoolhouse Ridge loop to it for some bonus ditch shenanigans.

mtbr member
    For F's sake it's Wilson Creek not Wilson's!!! Kidding. Yeah Yancey is in good shape, a few of us plan on riding it plus some other stuff in the morning (9/29). Stay on the obvious path, there are no signs and multiple spur trails. Yancey runs North to South for the most part so if you head East you are heading towards Goat/ Bill Crump, or West and you are heading to nowhere or old Short Yancey (which is a fire road now). Seriously though it's Wilson Creek and it sucks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yancey gets my vote too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Just to keep expectations in check, you don't really "bomb down" Yancey like you would Schoolhouse, Sinkhole or some of the more notable downhills. It's more of a mostly down, with some ups and pushes. With that said, Yancey is my favorite loop out there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yancey is Enduro! It really suits the bikes that we have available now. I remember not having fun on it back when we were riding "freeride" bikes with triple crown forks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Yancey is Enduro! It really suits the bikes that we have available now. I remember not having fun on it back when we were riding "freeride" bikes with triple crown forks.
    On my first ride there, I rode a hardtail (2015 Kona Explosif). I was sketchy/fun as hell (I only had to dismount two or three times), and I recall thinking to myself, I should really be on a FS bike for this. Next time.

mtbr member
    Speaking of Yancey... Mike are you going to put a bid in for the re-route at the bottom?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Finally got back up to Yancey after nearly twenty years. We used to ride it in the early 90s, before it was published in any guide books. I remember there being more descending and not so much up and down. Was wondering if it has been rerouted to the point off dropping off the ridge slightly then back up due to the massive ruts that were there back in the day.

Anybody know more of Yancey's history ?

It was awesome to ride it on a full suspension bike, a low/slack one at that.

Pinehurst NC
    Great trail! Especially on a trail HT!
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryMetalsmith View Post
    Finally got back up to Yancey after nearly twenty years. We used to ride it in the early 90s, before it was published in any guide books. I remember there being more descending and not so much up and down. Was wondering if it has been rerouted to the point off dropping off the ridge slightly then back up due to the massive ruts that were there back in the day.

Anybody know more of Yancey's history ?

It was awesome to ride it on a full suspension bike, a low/slack one at that.
    It's what's left of old logging routes. The whole Edgemont/Mortimer area was clear cut during the early 1900's. A catastrophic flood several decades later was a direct result of deforestation. The industry switched to textiles post WW2 but the Edgemont area never really recovered from the flood. There are some really cool pictures of what everything looked like during the industrial revolution at the Wilson Creek Visitor's center. I'm not aware of a narrow gaige railroad on Yancey Ridge. However, there are remnants left on Harpers Creek, Raiders Camp, Gragg Prong (I think, been a while since I've been on the East end), and Lost Cove Creek. Based on articles I have read the railroad was reclaimed for the steel for the war effort (not sure how true that is but several sources reference this). It's a really cool area with a ton of history in a short amount of time. I wonder how different the area would have looked with giant hard woods and huge American Chestnuts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks, didn't know that.

However, I was more interested in the recent history of Yancey, i.e. the past couple decades. To me it seems like the trail had so may deep ruts that it might have been rerouted away from the ridge line and back up again to go around the ruts. There was one uphill rut that was definitely no longer there. Just curious if anyone knows about the trail's maintenance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryMetalsmith View Post
    Thanks, didn't know that.

However, I was more interested in the recent history of Yancey, i.e. the past couple decades. To me it seems like the trail had so may deep ruts that it might have been rerouted away from the ridge line and back up again to go around the ruts. There was one uphill rut that was definitely no longer there. Just curious if anyone knows about the trail's maintenance.
    Ok well it hasn't changed much since the late 90's. We had several hurricanes in the mid 2000s that caused a lot of damage. As a result there were several slight re-routes. In the near future there will be a re-route near the last gulley descent. It's actually on private property. That's why I was asking Mike if he's going to put a bid in for it. We want Mike to do the work, trust us.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    Ok well it hasn't changed much since the late 90's. We had several hurricanes in the mid 2000s that caused a lot of damage. As a result there were several slight re-routes. In the near future there will be a re-route near the last gulley descent. It's actually on private property. That's why I was asking Mike if he's going to put a bid in for it. We want Mike to do the work, trust us.
    Can you define 'near future'? I'd like to get out there at least one more time before it gets re-routed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    Can you define 'near future'? I'd like to get out there at least one more time before it gets re-routed.
    Not sure, depends on funding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.

The road up to Yancey used to actually be a dirt road. Major erosion issues and now you have to pay attention.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I think Schoolhouse reroute is on the table first so can't imagine anything changing for a while. Speaking of which, I "rode" schoolhouse on Monday, there are now several sections that are unrideable by 99.9% of people. The final decent is only getting worse. The recent work at the top however is excellent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    Its a ways behind Schoolhouse, so maybe a couple years if all goes well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motomike View Post
    Its a ways behind Schoolhouse, so maybe a couple years if all goes well.
    Nice to hear. The gulley'd out portion of Yancey's is at least ride-able and fun... the bottom of Schoolhouse not so much.

Rode up there this past weekend for the first time in a LOOOONG time and man Wilson is great... Proper back country riding. Not that S. Pisgah is not but Wilson just has that feel of being out there I miss when riding around Brevard... and smashing gulleys is good fun.

Thanks for all the recent work out there!
    On your left!