Best places to camp and ride in Greenville SC.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Best places to camp and ride in Greenville SC.

I'm just needing to find out the best trail systems and camprounds in Greenville SC area(no more than 20 minutes from Greenville).
    THanks

mtbr member
    Best option - Camp and ride Paris Mountain State Park about 5 minutes from downtown.
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

mtbr member
    If you want to be able to ride on Saturdays and want more than 10 miles of trail, come to Croft in Spartanburg.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    If you want to be able to ride on Saturdays and want more than 10 miles of trail, come to Croft in Spartanburg.
    Also a fun time, but about as close to Greenville as Issaqueena and Dupont...well outside the 20 minute limit.

But all well worth the extra drive!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for the replys. My job is moving down there so until I move a little closer to Greenville I figure I'll camp and ride two days a week down there to save a little commuting.

mtbr member
    Paris Mountain is fun, but once you have ridden it a few times, it gets pretty repetitive.

mtbr member
    Paris Mountain is fun, but once you have ridden it a few times, it gets pretty repetitive.
    Can't disagree too much, but that front side uphill never gets any easier. Plus Paris drains off so fast that rain is almost a non factor for riding - Sunday was outstanding!

Any time I'm riding Paris and feel that it may be getting a bit boring, I just think of all those poor unfortunate souls that have to live in Kansas or Texas and it puts a smile right back on my face.

mtbr member
    Have to agree with Mike, I prefer Croft/Southside or Isaqueanna over Paris.
    When time is limited, Paris is my necessary evil.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Have to agree with Mike, I prefer Croft/Southside or Isaqueanna over Paris.
    When time is limited, Paris is my necessary evil.
    Also worth checking out is pleasant ridge. Great 6 mile loop about 20 minutes from downtown Greenville.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    crofts hard to beat as far as riding in the upstate goes. lots of unmarked trails that you can ride on. if you start off at dairy ridge road and then connect into southside, you can get up to 30 miles easy in a day.

mtbr member
    I rode Paris for the first time in a couple of years yesterday. The trails were in great shape and lots of fun was had. But the problem with Paris, at least on a nice Spring weekend, is that there are so many hikers that you can't really go more than a minute or two without having to slow down or stop for them. I'm not complaining, as the hikers were there before the bikes, but it does kill the flow a bit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I rode Paris for the first time in a couple of years yesterday. The trails were in great shape and lots of fun was had. But the problem with Paris, at least on a nice Spring weekend, is that there are so many hikers that you can't really go more than a minute or two without having to slow down or stop for them. I'm not complaining, as the hikers were there before the bikes, but it does kill the flow a bit.
    Paris Mountain is a great place to ride, but your right it has so much traffic. I rode yesterday and I past around 30-40 people and it definitely kills the flow of the trail. Most people are polite, but you can tell that it frustrates the serious trail runners and bikers.

I really hope we can dig some new trails at Paris Mtn soon. There seems to be enough room to add a few more and maybe even make them biker only... I know that would never happen though.

mtbr member
    Yeah - weekdays can be a mixed bag - I go there for an after work ride 1-2x per week since it's 10 minutes form the house. If I don't have the time to head to NC for the day on Sunday, the best time I have found is first thing in the morning (8 am sharp) and it will be a couple hours before you really start encountering hikers and casual walkers. The other nice feature of Paris is the drainage - it clears off in less than a day after any type of storm. Plus if you want to keep the climbing legs in shape, it certainly delivers!

I still hit up Croft and Issaqueena occasionally (used to ride Croft a lot when I lived in Greer) but now they are just as far a drive from my house (downtown Greenville) as Dupont is and only about 15 minutes closer than The Hub, so given the choice, I head there. Need to check out Croft again, though - it's the where I learned how to ride (and fall down. A lot.)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Has anyone ever posted a map of Croft? I've read bits and pieces of the route but never seen anything to tie with it.

mtbr member
    Solid Orange - check out the SAMBA Facebook page. There was a map posted there a few weeks ago.

mtbr member
    TMO8853 - There's something in the works for new trails at Paris. If you want them quickly, you can help by writing a letter to the SC State Parks administration. The more we ask for trails the quicker they will come.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    TMO8853 - There's something in the works for new trails at Paris. If you want them quickly, you can help by writing a letter to the SC State Parks administration. The more we ask for trails the quicker they will come.
    That's great to hear, especially considering so many of us feel that Paris Mtn SP caters to hikers.
    Still can't believe how few trails there are in a county as big as G'ville.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm campimg at Paris mtn. this week. Has anyone ridden gateway bike park? Is it worth a trip?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by brokeONE View Post
    I'm campimg at Paris mtn. this week. Has anyone ridden gateway bike park? Is it worth a trip?
    Gateway is fun if you have a DJ or BMX type bike to ride. However, I would highly recommend you go ride at pleasant ridge park (JFA Trail). It's about the same distance from Paris Mtn, but it's one of the best designed mtb trails we have IMO.