Best Place to Camp close to WhiteWater Rafting Sites- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best Place to Camp close to WhiteWater Rafting Sites

My friends and I generally camp in the Mills River area (Trace Ridge trailhead) and we are looking to try something different this weekend. I am thinking about planning this around a Rafting Trip down the Nantahala or the French Broad (somewhere where we can go unguided on a ducky or a 4 man raft)......are there any good camping spots off of Forest Roads close to Wesser (19/74) or close to Hot Springs? I may consider a campground (stayed at Turkey Creek before) but I would want a place where:

We can drink a few beers without being hasseled
    Stay up and talk until midnight or so
    Be close to water
    Have a fire
    Not have to hike more than a mile into

Any recommendations? I have a few National Geographic Maps, so Forest Service Rd names would be fine as well (just give me the general direction).

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Gaffney10; 06-08-2010 at 01:56 PM.

mtbr member
    There is a campground right at the takeout of section 9 of the French Broad in Hot Springs. It is on river left, within walking distance of the bars.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike
    There is a campground right at the takeout of section 9 of the French Broad in Hot Springs. It is on river left, within walking distance of the bars.
    Good call. I've heard there's some decent mtnbiking up there too. I've done plenty of hiking on the AT around HS but would love to know where the bike trails are.

Official Cooler Inspector
    Hot Springs was my first choice when I read this today.

http://www.hotspringsnc.org/

The camp ground is very nice (though next to a rail line and gets closer/more primitive the farther back you go), there's a good store there, decent eats within a short walking distance to town and the spa is right across the road.

Section nine is the usual water route. Not for unguided amateurs!

The trails? Well, it's probably best to talk to the locals. Access requires a fairly long uphill on pavement. Bluff should have info and know what's happening, but be aware that this is not a major destination point for bikes and taking a wrong turn could add some adventure to your ride.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

pronounced may-duh
    Have you though about Tanasi in TN. Rafting camping and singletrack, Oh My!

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input! I am familiar with the campgrounds you speak of in Hot Springs.....
    Tanasi looks sweet but just a little further than we wanted to drive....

Any Wesser/Almond/Bryson City areas to camp that allow beer, talking after 10pm, etc..and that are close to water??

Also, if we rent duckies or go unguided, can you run the river more than once or do you have to pay again? Just curious.

Thanks guys!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Boatertalk.com mtbr for all your whitewater needs.

mtbr member
    Cool....anyone else on FS Road Campsites or anything of that matter? Thanks!

Its got what plants crave
    Surprised nobody has mentioned the campground at Tsali. It's right on the lake, within 15 minutes of the Nantahala, and has some decent riding right there at the campground.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Surprised nobody has mentioned the campground at Tsali. It's right on the lake, within 15 minutes of the Nantahala, and has some decent riding right there at the campground.

You cannot "technically" have beer at the campground though, right??

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffney10
    You cannot "technically" have beer at the campground though, right??
    Tsali is federal and many federal camps allow alcohol. BUT if you get drunk they can ticket you for that so don't be a ass and it should be cool.

mtbr member
    1 more questions....are there any Roadside Camping "Spots" in the Nantahala National Forest similar to those in Pisgah??

If so, any idea which forest roads are best?

Thanks for all of your help!!

mtbr member
    Since I couldn't find out info about Roadside Spots in the Nantahala area what are some good hikes with good swimming holes since it is going to be HOT tomorrow? Looking in Pisgah and Nantahala

Not as Lean, Not as mean
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffney10
    Any Wesser/Almond/Bryson City areas to camp that allow beer, talking after 10pm, etc..and that are close to water??
    Tumbling Waters is in Almond. The folks that own it are good people. Very close to Tsali and the NOC.

Beverage's are OK. For a bit of extra space ask for the "Way Back".

There are also a couple of primitive spots behind the camp ground, further down panther creek road.
    Two goldfish were in their tank. One turns to the other and says, 'You man the guns, I'll drive.'

Members who have read this thread: 0