Best Map for Pisgah Trip- Mtbr.com
    Team Awesome

Best Map for Pisgah Trip

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

But I'm not stupid, just ignorant.

Which National Geographic Map should I get for a Pisgah Trip? Click on THIS LINK RIGHT HERE for map help...

And, what rides should I be sure to do in a 3 to 4 day trip?

When did you get here?!?!
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

Team Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahproductions
    Thanks!

I'll continue my pleas for local knowledge: What are the best 3 all-day rides in that region? I have absolutely no experience there, but I'm planning a few days of fun that is fun and not fun at the same time for this fall.

Quick Edit:

Didn't see those rides in my email - I'll check them out. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by playpunk
    Thanks!

I'll continue my pleas for local knowledge: What are the best 3 all-day rides in that region? I have absolutely no experience there, but I'm planning a few days of fun that is fun and not fun at the same time for this fall.
    See my edit for two routes. Try Laurel/Pilot first to get a feel for the area. If you need more on day one hit Pilot Cove/Slate Rock loop after Laurel/Pilot.

Squirrel/Turkey Pen can be a four to five hour jaunt or a six to seven hour deathmarch depending on skill level,ability to navigate,etc.

I'm sure others will chime in with other suggestions and trail info sources for other rides.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

Official Cooler Inspector
    Snagged from Triangle MTB:

http://trianglemtb.com/yabbse/index....&topic=21149.0

If we ever get a FAQ sticky, this should be included. Pretty colors.

(play - use the "search" function for more detailed trail info. Have a great ride!)
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by playpunk
    There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

Actually, there are a lot of stupid questions, usually asked by reporters. Things like asking the guy who just hoisted the Stanley Cup "how do you feel?"

But yours is certainly not one of them.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Here's a ride that is just plain ****ing stupid. Should all be on the map from Nat. Geo 780.

Start at North Mills River Camp[ground. Ride 1206 to Laurel Mountain, Laurel Mountain to Pilot Rock. Descend Pilot Rock to 1206. Ride 1206 to 276, then 276 to the BRP. Ride BRP to the top of Big Creek. Descend Big Creek to Spencers Branch. Climb Spencers Branch to Trace Ridge. Descend Trace ridge all the way to North Mills River.

Should take you about 8 hours to ride and several days to recover. I've done it once.

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike
    Actually, there are a lot of stupid questions, usually asked by reporters. Things like asking the guy who just hoisted the Stanley Cup "how do you feel?"
    Especially when it's a team that hasn't won in, what, 59 years? Go Hawks!

I love it that you all have mentioned the best rides from North Mills River (personal faves), but don't forget our old standbys that are new to someone: Davidson > Black > Buckwheat > 477 > Buckhorn Gap Tr > Clawhammer (5058) > Maxwell > Black -- beautiful views, plenty of Pisgah hike-a-bike, awesome downhills and a true sense of accomplishment when you're done Or, skip Black at the beginning and ride 276 (road) > 477 > Clawhammer (5058) to Buckhorn Gap, then left over the stairs onto Black.

I did a fun loop a few weeks ago from NMR > 1206 > Laurel > Pilot > 1206 > 476 > SMR > Squirrel > Laurel Creek > 5015 > 1206. Get to experience Laurel/Pilot and Squirrel; long day and that climb up 5015 at the end will get you ... but the descent on 1206 is pretty fun.

pronounced may-duh
    I don't use the maps anymore, now that I have reached 10th level

Team Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike

But yours is certainly not one of them.
    I wish Brett Hull had answered "like a cheater."

Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crossboy
    Especially when it's a team that hasn't won in, what, 59 years? Go Hawks!

I love it that you all have mentioned the best rides from North Mills River (personal faves), but don't forget our old standbys that are new to someone: Davidson > Black > Buckwheat > 477 > Buckhorn Gap Tr > Clawhammer (5058) > Maxwell > Black -- beautiful views, plenty of Pisgah hike-a-bike, awesome downhills and a true sense of accomplishment when you're done Or, skip Black at the beginning and ride 276 (road) > 477 > Clawhammer (5058) to Buckhorn Gap, then left over the stairs onto Black.

I did a fun loop a few weeks ago from NMR > 1206 > Laurel > Pilot > 1206 > 476 > SMR > Squirrel > Laurel Creek > 5015 > 1206. Get to experience Laurel/Pilot and Squirrel; long day and that climb up 5015 at the end will get you ... but the descent on 1206 is pretty fun.

You training for something?

mtbr member
    Be careful listening to locals' recommendations for rides, especially on the Interwebs. We have a group of folks who get more enjoyment from telling people about the horribly painful ride they did than they do from riding. They'll tell you to string together every cool downhill and have you ride them backward, maximizing the pain and minimizing the pleasure. And then they'll mock you for not doing it all on a rigid singlespeed 29er.

Listen to Maida. He won't do that to you.

Official Cooler Inspector
    "Listen to Maida. He won't do that to you."

Not on purpose...
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

Quote Originally Posted by D.F.L.
    Be careful listening to locals' recommendations for rides, especially on the Interwebs. We have a group of folks who get more enjoyment from telling people about the horribly painful ride they did than they do from riding. They'll tell you to string together every cool downhill and have you ride them backward, maximizing the pain and minimizing the pleasure. And then they'll mock you for not doing it all on a rigid singlespeed 29er.

Yeah, Don't listen to us. Especially not me. I don't enjoy riding one bit. I live for seeing MAMA fly over my house, as I sip mojitos, knowing that I probably had something to do with the flight.

(see ride log for more ideas)
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I did Laurel Mtn>Pilot Rock yesterday (first time with clipless also) and would not recommend it unless you have massive endurance for the climb (right out of the car) and mad down hill skills (ie rock gardens).

The heat right now is nothing to mees with on 7mi climbs with lots of hike a bike. Later this week it will be nice an cool though.

Oh, the pilot rock decent is not recommended during a heavy thunderstorm either (don't ask).

T

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    All these answers and no one suggests Farlow Gap? What is wrong with you people, have you forgotten how to have fun?
    Jeez...
    Park at Daniels Ridge, up 475, right on 229 then onto Farlow Gap, left on Daniel Ridge, the connector to 225, then down Cove Creek. To get a five or six hour ride add in the Daniel Ridge loop and/or Butter-Long Branch to this.
    PS: despite what Stickel claims I am not telling you to ride this the wrong direction. Trust me. No trails in Pisgah have "directions" anyway.

Big Mac

Whatever you say, dude.

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilyB
    All these answers and no one suggests Farlow Gap? What is wrong with you people, have you forgotten how to have fun?
    Jeez...
    Park at Daniels Ridge, up 475, right on 229 then onto Farlow Gap, left on Daniel Ridge, the connector to 225, then down Cove Creek. To get a five or six hour ride add in the Daniel Ridge loop and/or Butter-Long Branch to this.
    PS: despite what Stickel claims I am not telling you to ride this the wrong direction. Trust me. No trails in Pisgah have "directions" anyway.
    Um, sorry Emily but Farlow really flows better if ridden the other direction
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Thread Killer
    No trails in Pisgah have "directions" anyway.
    OK, Emily, technically you're right ... but holy cow have you ever tried to ride *up* Trace or Pilot?

OK, Emily, technically you're right ... but holy cow have you ever tried to ride *up* Trace or Pilot?
    I have! (Pilot is at miles 29-31. Ouch!)

I wouldn't suggest it to an out-of-towner though (unless they're here for PMBAR, then they are open to any and all tortures I can throw at them....)
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

pronounced may-duh
    Back to the OP: When are you coming? If I'm free, I'd be happy to show you some fun routes. Remember, I'm the guy who won't kill you. Maybe

Outside of the pisgah 780 map we have riding in Bent Creek and DuPont State Forest. Both of those have maps that you can pick up at one of our local bike shops.

there are also lots of ride ideas here http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/?cat=7

mtbr member
    See. I told you

Big Mac
    I have! (Pilot is at miles 29-31. Ouch!)

I wouldn't suggest it to an out-of-towner though (unless they're here for PMBAR, then they are open to any and all tortures I can throw at them....)
    Me too! Both of them. And I would not intentionally send any unsuspecting soul up Pilot. Trace Ridge isn't that bad, though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It's true, during PMBAR I did witness my out-of-town friend's spirit get shattered into little pieces about halfway up Pilot. I thought she was going to lie down on the trail and never get up again. Thanks for the exciting race experience, Pisgah Productions!

But if your soul is immune to a little crushing, going up Pilot means you get to go down Laurel, which is super fun. Sassafras, on the other hand, is a trail I would consider one-directional, but since Sassafras doesn't actually exist, that is a moot point.

If he is coming late enough in the fall, all those seasonal loops open up too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by M_US_E30
    I did Laurel Mtn>Pilot Rock yesterday (first time with clipless also) and would not recommend it unless you have massive endurance for the climb (right out of the car) and mad down hill skills (ie rock gardens).

The heat right now is nothing to mees with on 7mi climbs with lots of hike a bike. Later this week it will be nice an cool though.

Oh, the pilot rock decent is not recommended during a heavy thunderstorm either (don't ask).

T
    If you don't want rocks or climbs then I would recommend trying one of the other trails in the area.

I think they should go up black over to squirrel and then bring turkey back to black. That should be a good short loop.

See. I told you
    wait a second....... checkmate?....... aaah dammit!
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    saturday before my brothers wedding at deerfields ( i was the best man) I tried to go up pilot > sasifras (by mistake!!!!)> down laurel
    pilot was tough and too hikabikey for me >sasifras crushed me and my wife wtf is wrong with me why did I not turn around
    laurel was a blast downhill though !!!!
    arrived 5 mins before the wedding - you should have seen the look on my brothers face and the 25 messages from my mom on my cellphone

It's true, during PMBAR I did witness my out-of-town friend's spirit get shattered into little pieces about halfway up Pilot. I thought she was going to lie down on the trail and never get up again. Thanks for the exciting race experience, Pisgah Productions!

But if your soul is immune to a little crushing, going up Pilot means you get to go down Laurel, which is super fun. Sassafras, on the other hand, is a trail I would consider one-directional, but since Sassafras doesn't actually exist, that is a moot point.

If he is coming late enough in the fall, all those seasonal loops open up too.

pronounced may-duh
    wait a second....... checkmate?....... aaah dammit!
    What! Have I become too predictable? Have I become a cliche?

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    What! Have I become too predictable? Have I become a cliche?
    You are the new pink!

Members who have read this thread: 0