Best loop at Bent Creek- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best loop at Bent Creek

Will be in Asheville this Friday and Saturday. I have a few hours to ride amidst the other needed activities. I have been to Bent Creek once before and would like to find a good loop that includes green' lick and other trails that are worthwhile. It would be great to hear from those of you who are well experienced in the area and don't mind sharing their favorite loops.

I am also open to hitting any of the other trailheads in the area. I have ridden dupont before and am interested in the other pisgah locations that are convenient to Asheville.

I like to call myself an intermediate rider, who is slow but capable and likes technical trails as well as flowy ones.

Thanks for your help.

John
    On One Summer Season Single Speed

pronounced may-duh
    Bent Creek loop starting at Rice Pinnacle

Up wolf branch
    Up Ingles Field
    Up north Boundry
    Down greenslick
    Up sidehill
    Up little hickoy top
    down ingles field
    down wolf branch

This is almost all singletrack and gets you the best DHs in the park. If you have more time go explore the loops on the southern half of the park

More trail info here!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    maida nailed it. if it has rained a lot or you want to make it more of a loop skip wolf branch and climb north boundary to greens.

mtbr member
    Logging activity is major right now. Last Thursday, there were about 100 trees stacked up at Five Points, upper North Boundary has been used to remove these trees.
    Rain will equal huge mud bogs where the tracked vehcile has been used until the road get re-graded.

d00bie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    Logging activity is major right now. Last Thursday, there were about 100 trees stacked up at Five Points, upper North Boundary has been used to remove these trees.
    Rain will equal huge mud bogs where the tracked vehcile has been used until the road get re-graded.
    Yes, i hate running into them when riding. But...im thankful we can ride there.

I like Squishy Bikes
    from 5 points on up it is pretty soft where the tractor tires chewed up the old double track
    A dirty book is rarely dusty

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollis
    from 5 points on up it is pretty soft where the tractor tires chewed up the old double track

I rode that Sunday afternoon after the rain from Saturday evening was mostly dried up. It was moist and chewy but still very much passable. There is still lots of poison ivy up there. I wish they would hurry up and get to the areas with the poison ivy.

eschewing obfuscation
    got to b.c. late last night and only had an hour of daylight to ride (forgot lights: d'oh!). rode up north boundary from rice pinnacle to greens lick; despite the logging destruction, the road was in great shape - very fast and not muddy whatsoever. the clearcuts are heartbreaking but the viewsheds are great. the road extends nearly halfway up to greens lick now, then returns to double track/super wide single track. there was no wood on the road; just some heavy equipment in two spots (i'm sure this changes daily).
    "Bikes have wheels." -Noam Chomsky

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7

Up wolf branch
    Up Ingles Field
    Up north Boundry
    Down greenslick
    Up sidehill
    Up little hickoy top
    down ingles field
    down wolf branch

This is almost all singletrack and gets you the best DHs in the park. If you have more time go explore the loops on the southern half of the park

More trail info here!
    Thanks, just what I was looking for!

John
    On One Summer Season Single Speed

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I went to Bent Creek for the first time this past week, and parked at the Hardtimes Trailhead. I rode 6 miles but never got to any good downhill, it seemed like I was pedaling uphill for 75% of the ride. Is there any other trailheads further up Bent Crk Branch Road that would get me to a better trail? Any suggestions? I was on "explorers loop" for awhile but got brought out at another trailhead but didnt know where to go from there. Also, what are the various colors of the trails representing(yello, orange, blue) Thanks for the help!

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxunv04
    I went to Bent Creek for the first time this past week, and parked at the Hardtimes Trailhead. I rode 6 miles but never got to any good downhill, it seemed like I was pedaling uphill for 75% of the ride. Is there any other trailheads further up Bent Crk Branch Road that would get me to a better trail? Any suggestions? I was on "explorers loop" for awhile but got brought out at another trailhead but didnt know where to go from there. Also, what are the various colors of the trails representing(yello, orange, blue) Thanks for the help!
    What goes up must go down. Did you shuttle a climb? I think it's impossible to climb more then you descend and still get back to the place you started, Really!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    What goes up must go down. Did you shuttle a climb? I think it's impossible to climb more then you descend and still get back to the place you started, Really!
    Hah, when we rode Green's Lick, we also felt that we spent 80% of the day climbing. Timewise, I think that is accurate. Those miles down Ingles Gap and Greens Lick go QUICK!
    idiom - raleigh hard rock
    http://www.idiomband.com

mtbr member
    You could park up BC road a ways but you would still have to climb back up to you car. Most of the colors you see are either trailer markers, so you can compare them to a map to see what trail you are on or for trail signs(beginning of most trails) that has difficulty colors which are usually green, blue, and I think black. Like most place BC has routes that optimize climbing and gives you the best downhills for the least amount of climbing. But make no mistake you will have to earn your turns.

I am not good with numbers but if you climb at 4 miles per hour and descend at 20 miles per hour with the same elevation/milage gain/loss it will not only feel like you are climbing longer but you actually WILL be climbing longer than descending. Welcome to the mountains of NC.

mtbr member
    As the snotty water mammal said, colors match trail names- each named trail on the map has a blaze color associated with it on the map legend.
    Did you have a map?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for all the comments, I guess youre correct that it just seems longer uphill because the downhill goes so fast, and FUN! I did not have a map but have printed one off of the internet, this one... http://maps.wncoutdoors.info/images/.../bentcreek.pdf
    Although it doesnt look to helpful I am sure it will be better than no map.
    Are the "blaze" colors in any relation to difficulty? Or are they there just so you can refer to the trail on the map?
    When we took Explorers loop we were uphill for a long time then had a mini downhill that brought us back to the main road(Bent Crk branch) so we just took that back to the hardtimes trailhead.

mtbr member
    Mike it is a amphibian not a mammal.

gsxunv04 next time swing by a shop like Carolina Fatz and they can highlight a great route on your map which gives you the most bang for your climbing buck.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the tip snototter, ill be sure to do that.

Team Martin

Flatlander heading to the highlands...

Up wolf branch
    Up Ingles Field
    Up north Boundry
    Down greenslick
    Up sidehill
    Up little hickoy top
    down ingles field
    down wolf branch

More trail info here!
    About how many miles is this route & how much elevation gain?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Up wolf branch
    Up Ingles Field
    Up north Boundry
    Down greenslick
    Up sidehill
    Up little hickoy top
    down ingles field
    down wolf branch

More trail info here!
    what's the distance/ time on this route?

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartin57
    About how many miles is this route & how much elevation gain?
    This is a typical after work ride. I've got no hard data so I'm gonna guess

10-12 miles
    1500- 2000' elevation gain
    1.5 - 3 hours for all but the extreme ends of the skill level spectrum

If you want to make a full day of it add in some of the other trails, sidehill, explorer, pine tree, etc...

d00bie

10-12 miles

If you want to make a full day of it add in some of the other trails, sidehill, explorer, pine tree, etc...
    Exactly what i was going to say. Its a perfect loop IMO. I ride it everyday i can or everyday that has sunshine, or not torrential downpour.

Team Martin

10-12 miles

Very cool! Thanks for the info

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Man, I was up bent creek today but it was muddy as could be. I made it up wolf branch but halfway through ingles field my back tire got so caked full of mud it was just spinning out trying to climb hills. I will definately be buying a new set of tires in the near future. It was fun coming down the muddy downhill of ingles field and wolf branch though, I must say, fishtailing all over the place... Thanks for the info on the loop though, I will definately complete the loop on a better conditioned day or once I get a better tire.

Big Mac
    Man, I was up bent creek today but it was muddy as could be. I made it up wolf branch but halfway through ingles field my back tire got so caked full of mud it was just spinning out trying to climb hills. I will definately be buying a new set of tires in the near future. It was fun coming down the muddy downhill of ingles field and wolf branch though, I must say, fishtailing all over the place... Thanks for the info on the loop though, I will definately complete the loop on a better conditioned day or once I get a better tire.
    Sweet! Thanks for trashing our trails and killin' all our fish.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    no sweat

Official Cooler Inspector

Sorry about editing your quote in my signature, but there's a 125 character limit. Besides, you spelled "definitely" wrong.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65
    Sweet! Thanks for trashing our trails and killin' all our fish.
    ??

To help an "old" guy learn, by what criterion/parameters does one decide if it is OK to ride the trails. I would "think" that if the trails were in danger they would be closed to protect them.

I don't ride BC [I did look around up there yesterday] because it is too far to drive to on a regular basis and the trails are short.
    mike

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by mike047
    ??

To help an "old" guy learn, by what criterion/parameters does one decide if it is OK to ride the trails. I would "think" that if the trails were in danger they would be closed to protect them.

I don't ride BC [I did look around up there yesterday] because it is too far to drive to on a regular basis and the trails are short.
    The local land managers do not close the trails to protect them. It happens in other areas but not here for the most part. It's happened a few times in DuPont but it's very rare to see a trail closed for wet weather. So the onus is on the riders to be responsible.

Riding in the mud damages the trails. Fixing the damage is a PITA. If it's just wet then no big deal. If your slipping all over the place in the mud and leaving marks up and down the trail then your damaging the trail. Come out and spend some time fixing mud holes and you will understand why it's not cool to ride in the mud.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Well when I drive from Waynesville to Bent Creek to ride mtb's, I am going to ride. It is a mountain.....it does rain, so riding in the mud is going to happen. I appreciate your concern though, really, I do. Next time I will stick to the not so muddy trails.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    "the trails were in danger they would be closed to protect them."

funniest thing I've read on PT in months!
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

pronounced may-duh
    Well when I drive from Waynesville to Bent Creek to ride mtb's, I am going to ride. It is a mountain.....it does rain, so riding in the mud is going to happen. I appreciate your concern though, really, I do. Next time I will stick to the not so muddy trails.
    Bent Creek is particularly sensitive because of all the traffic it gets. But even so, if you had waited to the evening it would have been good to go. I rode with a group yesterday at 5:30. we climbed ingles field and only saw limited mud holes. By the evening the trail was mostly dry.

Some pisgah trails get much less traffic and have better leaf cover and can be ridden wet with no damage.

Most of DuPont is sandy and rocky and dries rather fast after a rain.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the heads-up Maida7, I will be sure to check out the other trails next time it rains. Glad to hear ingles field was in better condition for your group.

Having been with MTBr since the late nineties, I had a different perspective to your post about the Bent Creek mud ride. It was silly/serious - I thought you were joking.

We have had a long history of folks who make it "sound bad" to ride here:

Pisah S**ks
    Go to Tsali
    Best tires for night riding
    Etc, etc, and etc.

Guess I need to pay more attention to the posters numbers than the content.

Catch a ride with some locals soon!

Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

My recent favorites:

"If I'm not supposed to ride that trail, there'd be a sign"

"We did a don't ask trail"
    Don't ask, don't tell?
    "Don't ask".

"I was researching the research"

mtbr member
    The local land managers do not close the trails to protect them. It happens in other areas but not here for the most part. It's happened a few times in DuPont but it's very rare to see a trail closed for wet weather. So the onus is on the riders to be responsible.

Riding in the mud damages the trails. Fixing the damage is a PITA. If it's just wet then no big deal. If your slipping all over the place in the mud and leaving marks up and down the trail then your damaging the trail. Come out and spend some time fixing mud holes and you will understand why it's not cool to ride in the mud.
    Been there done that, and I have a June 5 appointment to do some more

My question was asked because I thought the poster had some direct connection to BC. Apparently not.

The trail at DSF do drain well. The most damage that I see is from horses. I rode Joanna and most of the connecting trails today [except Grassy Creek Trail ] and the damaged places were from horses.....in and around the mud holes.
    mike

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Up wolf branch
    Up Ingles Field
    Up north Boundry
    Down greenslick
    Up sidehill
    Up little hickoy top
    down ingles field
    down wolf branch

More trail info here!
    Seems to be a favorite loop...I don't suppose anyone has gpx/kmx track data for this route? I found a few bits and pieces on the Hike WNC, but would be nice to fill in the missing parts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    may be up there saturday morning, staying off the exit where REI is, i believe. where should i start, and can i get directions to that starting place from the aforementioned wallet-emptying-funds-sucking-can't-walk-in-w/o-spending-$50 store?

tia...
    ride fast...take chances...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7 View Post

Up wolf branch
    Up Ingles Field
    Up north Boundry
    Down greenslick
    Up sidehill
    Up little hickoy top
    down ingles field
    down wolf branch

More trail info here!
    Bump.

Just relocated to Asheville and wanted a good loop for my first ride in my new home.
    Loved it.

cs

endorphin junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by NewYawka View Post
    Bump.

Just relocated to Asheville and wanted a good loop for my first ride in my new home.
    Loved it.

cs
    Glad you had a good ride. This is one of my go-to routes when out for solo spins from home. Welcome to the area! If you're interested and have lights, check out our weekly group night rides on Wednesdays. We typically have had 4-6 riders each week and do a 2-3 hour ride, usually hitting these same trails and more.

Bent Creek Upper Rim Ride (Bring your lights) - Asheville Mountain Biking Meetup Group (Asheville, NC) - Meetup
    http://forums.mtbr.com/north-south-c...es-720995.html
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Bump.

Thanks for the trail suggestions. Rode greens lick for the first time yesterday, loved it... just wished it was longer! Think I just found my new go to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    how are the trails, planing a trip from chattanooga in april if not wet and raining..

Big Mac
    That's a long ways off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    making sure they were still open and not closed down for some reason ..

endorphin junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by bhigdon101 View Post
    making sure they were still open and not closed down for some reason ..
    Nope, they aren't closed. In fact, they are in great shape since the wet winter has dried out over the past couple weeks. But as the previous reply mentioned, April is a long way off and we're heading into spring in the mountains. There's no telling what we'll have by then, so it's best to go ahead and make your plans.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

Big Mac
    I would imagine spring is around the corner for all of the northern hemisphere.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Up wolf branch
    Up Ingles Field
    Up north Boundry
    Down greenslick
    Up sidehill
    Up little hickoy top
    down ingles field
    down wolf branch

we are dong this loop saturday morning, eat a bit, need some advice on some more great trails in the aera for an weekend ride.

we are driving up on friday afternoon, what are some good trails in the aera to hit in the evening time friday...

Members who have read this thread: 3