Best bike for area trails and my type of riding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Best bike for area trails and my type of riding

Hi All,

I've recently gotten back in to mt biking after about a 6 year break. I ride the typical singletrack in the Triangle/Triad NC area, with occasional rides in the Columbia SC area when visiting family. Having ridden a hardtail for many, many years before moving to FS in the early 00's (about 2.5 yrs before I stopped riding), I'm always looking for the best line, love cranking up climbs, and the faster I ride the more I'm grinning, though I don't have any plans to race (but ya never know . . .) and would describe myself as being only a moderately fast rider. I don't take big drops, do any hucking (hell, I just learned what that was 3 weeks ago), or anything of the like. So, after being back on the saddle for ~ 2 mos, I went out and got a Racer X to seal my re-commitment to the hobby and sport I've loved for many, many years. I love how the Racer X handles and accelerates and it obivously has a great reputation, but I also tested some trail bikes with more active rear suspensions, which felt nice and I can see the appeal with these bikes for taking rooty downhill sections and blasting through rock gardens. I think I made the right decision based on the type of rider tha I am, but the more sophistacated suspension systems and the whole idea of the trail bike category were just making their way to the mainstream when I was last riding. So, I'm just not up to date on the latest trends and what type of bikes (xc vs. trail) are consider the best for our area. Would an all purpose trail bike be better suited for the trails around hear? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    bk

mtbr member
    The best bike to ride here (or anywhere) is the one you have the most fun on.

Around WNC/Pisgah you find everything from rigid SS to 8+" FS geared in Steel/Aluminum/Carbon/Titanium. Since most people I see on the trail are having a blast I guess they are all right in their choices, however different those choices are.

The terrain in Pisgah is so varied and the climate so wet at times that at any given place or time you can have the perfect bike for the situation or a not so perfect bike for the situation. I say ride what you have now and get used to some of the local trails - then buy the bike that suits how you like to get through these woods.
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ridn29s
    The best bike to ride here (or anywhere) is the one you have the most fun on.
    Wise advice. I think I was just getting too hung up on what others recommended. I took the Racer X out on several trails this past weekend - what a fun bike. No question, this is the bike for me, regardless of the trail!

bk

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I am down to only having one trail worthy bike in service now and it scares me. A quiver of bikes is the only answer. You obviously need a SS hardtail and a larger 6" trail bike to compliment your new bike. It only makes sense.

is no longer new
    May 2008
    ...yeah, if you have the money. for me, in WNC, there's every type of riding from smooth singletrack to gnarly DH, and my K2 lithium 5.75 handles it all. perfect all-around XC/AM bike...whatever those categories mean.

so i'd say have an all-around first, then get specific with hardtails, big FS rigs, rigid, dirtjumpin, 29ers,etc
    CallMeTheNewGuy bikes across the US, summer 2010:

crazyguyonabike.com/doc/caravanofcrazies

Members who have read this thread: 0