Bent Creek Trail Recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Bent Creek Trail Recommendations

So I'm planning on a day trip this Saturday driving from Winston-Salem. I ride in the Western Part of the State 3-5 times a year but thus far I've focused mainly on the Black Mountain area around Brevard and Dupont State Forest.

In an effort to cut a bit of driving time and experience something new I'd like to give the stuff a bit closer to Asheville a shot. We're planning on spending around 4.5hrs riding. The more fast, technical downhills we can fit in during that time the better, but we only have one car so no shuttling.

Any recommendations?

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904
    We're planning on spending around 4.5hrs riding. The more fast, technical downhills we can fit in during that time the better, but we only have one car so no shuttling.

Any recommendations?
    Everything....seriously. If you ride 4+ hrs in BC you will be able to hit pretty much every single trail worth riding.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Here is one of my favorites. Rice Pinnacle parking lot>Wolf Branch>Ingles Field Gap>Greens Lick>Laurel Branch Rd(479C)>Bent Creek Rd(479) up to the BC gap>5000(Wash Creek)>Spencer Gap>Trace Ridge>5000 (back up to the BC gap)>479>Lower Sidehill>back up Laurel Branch Rd(479C)> Sidehill>Little Hickory Top>Ingles Field Gap>Wolfs Branch>parking lot. Should get you really close to 4 hours.

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Snototter
    Here is one of my favorites. Rice Pinnacle parking lot>Wolf Branch>Ingles Field Gap>Greens Lick>Laurel Branch Rd(479C)>Bent Creek Rd(479) up to the BC gap>5000(Wash Creek)>Spencer Gap>Trace Ridge>5000 (back up to the BC gap)>479>Lower Sidehill>back up Laurel Branch Rd(479C)> Sidehill>Little Hickory Top>Ingles Field Gap>Wolfs Branch>parking lot. Should get you really close to 4 hours.
    That is a long ride I'd guess 25-30 miles and several long climbs. I don't know what your skill level is but once you bomb down Trace, it's a long haul back to the cars. If you fairly confident then pack plenty of water and a snack and go for it.

The top downhills in BC are Greens Lick and Ingles Field Gap. That route gets both of those + you leave BC and get an awesome DH run on Trace Ridge. The only thing you miss is the rolling terrain on the southern side of BC.

Enjoy

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Typically I like to split it up into two 2hr rides with an hour lunch break in between.

mtbr member
    maida's perspective/ question is correct. A four hour ride for snototter is humanly impossible for many irregular weekend mountain bikers- the kind of people that ride 3-4x a month at best rather than 3-4x a week at worse (that's a compliment, greg).

So, where do you fall on that spectrum and do you want to take that lunch break at the car?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I typically ride twice a week. One 7-8mile ride midweek and a 12-15mile ride on the weekend. I'm in pretty decent riding condition but I can't say how much ground I'd cover in a given period of time.

To make this simpler, let's forget the time aspect and say I want to do two rides in the neighborhood of 15 miles each with a nice lunch break at the car in between.

I know I'd like to get the Greens lick downhill in but beyond that I have no idea.

pronounced may-duh
    Do snototter's route. It will be more memorable.

Take both the bent creek and the 780 pisgah map. Be prepared to be out more then the 4 hours. Try not to get lost. I expect you will have a great adventure. It's really not that bad. The climb back into BC is on a gravel road and you can always opt out of the last climb up to Ingles Field gap. But if you did you'd miss one of the best downhills in the area.

mtbr member
    Look at the BC map. If you don't have one, stop at an LBS and buy one. Carolina Fatz and Motion Makers are both on the way into BC. Besides the fact that we both like bikes, the only thing I agree with cruso414 about is that ass smacks are free at Fatz. Anyhoo....

Find Lake Powhatan on the map. There are a group of trails on the same side of the road as the lake. There's a group on the other side that includes Green's Lick. Park wherever you want to. Hit the trails on the Green's Lick side first, choose your own route. Hit all the trails on the Lake side second.
    There you go.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    Look at the BC map. If you don't have one, stop at an LBS and buy one. Carolina Fatz and Motion Makers are both on the way into BC. Besides the fact that we both like bikes, the only thing I agree with cruso414 about is that ass smacks are free at Fatz. Anyhoo....

how did I get drug into this? Your making it difficult for me to bite my tongue. As Moto said yesterday, "watch it girls...I don't have to be nice".

Official Cooler Inspector
    Too many characters to make this a signature:

"how did I get drug into this? Your making it difficult for me to bite my tongue. As Moto said yesterday, "watch it girls...I don't have to be nice".

Thanks for the much needed LOL.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    cruso- that was a joke. Believe it or not, I have that capability. I'd have used some emoticons, but I hate 'em.

banned
    cruso- that was a joke. Believe it or not, I have that capability. I'd have used some emoticons, but I hate 'em.
    As long as I made MUM laugh, my day is now complete.

banned
    Come on you can usem

Members who have read this thread: 0