Bent Creek trail closure- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Bent Creek trail closure

What is up with the trail destruction/closure in the Wolf Branch/Ledford area?

Joe

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    they are experimenting...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Well tell them to stop. I liked that section of trail.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by sjanes
    they are experimenting...
    With what?

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65
    With what?
    with new tree removal equipment?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    They had dug a sediment pit in the middle of the trail about 4 feet deep and blocked it off. They weren't just removing trees, they were eliminating the trail.
    Joe

That's damn yankee to you
    Aug 2008
    And here I was hoping that someone was building a cool bridge over the creek.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    You know....... whatever bike they are riding, assure them its the biggest bike of any guy you have ever ridden with.

mtbr member
    There is definitely a bridge or bridges being built on Ledford Trail. They're using large tracked vehicles and it looks pretty ugly right now.

I was also blown away by the changes (damages, from my perspective) to 5 points I saw last night. The clearing is at least twice as large with the biggest border trees having been harvested.

What's key, now, is that we (PAS and other mtber's) get involved with advocating for the new trails that are supposed to come out of the active Baldwin Gap logging project. I know PAS is working towards this and hopefully it's a focus going into the winter when actual trail work on the ground has slowed down.

That way, all of these changes can be offset by, hopefully, several new miles of trail that have MTBer input into what the finished product on the ground looks like. If you're concerned about how Bent Creek looks moving forward, please get involved with PAS- visit our website for more info.

Thanks
    Last edited by Mike Brown; 10-01-2009 at 12:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Here is a picture of 5 points at the top of Ingles Field.....
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_hSfumQxSQ2...00_0937%5B1%5D

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

mtbr member
    What strikes me is the total lack of silt fencing...or any of those other things they make private land owners do if they want to subdivide some property. IMHO, the concern for erosion run off into streams that I have actually heard land managers say is a reason to disallow mountain bikes...is total, unbelieveable bs.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Quote Originally Posted by sjanes
    Here is a picture of 5 points at the top of Ingles Field.....
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_hSfumQxSQ2...00_0937%5B1%5D
    WOW.

Does it go all the way to the top of Green's Lick like that?

mtbr member
    there's tape on some non-system, user created, whatever you call those lower trails that are off the map... more than one bike shop customer has commented this to me and I saw if for myself the other day. I refrained from riding the trail out of respect but I don't understand what the closures have to do w/ the logging project as that's well up the road???

this is not the first time the FS has tried to close those trails. usually people just ignore the signs and ride them any way. What's the deal? They need to be made into official trails so that they can stay open. Same w/ Corvair.
    My one says BRAP!

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by plume
    there's tape on some non-system, user created, whatever you call those lower trails that are off the map... more than one bike shop customer has commented this to me and I saw if for myself the other day. I refrained from riding the trail out of respect but I don't understand what the closures have to do w/ the logging project as that's well up the road???

this is not the first time the FS has tried to close those trails. usually people just ignore the signs and ride them any way. What's the deal? They need to be made into official trails so that they can stay open. Same w/ Corvair.
    They are doing "maintenance" on the trail, which includes a big arse bridge over the eroded creek bank. Seems pretty much finished.

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    Wow. That pic is something I would have never imagined at 5 points. Even though I should expect it, I still can't process it. Going on my first trail ride in over a month out there today and will have to cross it. Such a shame. If I see any bittersweet left over, I'm shoving it in the carbuerator!!! jk
    I am not a "Role Model"

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The daylighting of N. Boundary is even more obvious with all the leaves down.

Members who have read this thread: 0