Bent Creek Trail

Printable View

  • 08-13-2017
    kyle_vk
    Bent Creek Trail
    Hey guys. I'm heading down from Grand Rapids, MI in a month for a vacation with my wife. Right now it looks like we're going to be camping at Lake Powhatan and I'm hoping to do a little mountain biking when she's relaxing (she doesn't do singletrack). Bent creek looks like the most convenient and seems like it offers a fair amount of diversity too. I'm riding a 150mm hardtail (on one 456) which is currently broken but I have a fat bike (full rigid) as my back up for the trip. I know it's hard to define what is "gnarly" but I've only ever ridden in lower MI and don't want to get in over my head (I also don't want to waste the little mtb time I have riding boring areas). Are there any areas that have super technical/steep descents, mandatory gap jumps or things of that nature? I can handle myself on all our local stuff but I generally don't hit drops over a couple feet (especially on a trail I've never ridden). And on the chance that I can't find the dough to fix my On One, are any of these trails "undrideable" for a fat bike?

    I'm also looking forward to swinging by a few bike shops, any favorites in the area?

    Thanks in advance.
  • 08-13-2017
    Timothy G. Parrish
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kyle_vk View Post
    Hey guys. I'm heading down from Grand Rapids, MI in a month for a vacation with my wife. Right now it looks like we're going to be camping at Lake Powhatan and I'm hoping to do a little mountain biking when she's relaxing (she doesn't do singletrack). Bent creek looks like the most convenient and seems like it offers a fair amount of diversity too. I'm riding a 150mm hardtail (on one 456) which is currently broken but I have a fat bike (full rigid) as my back up for the trip. I know it's hard to define what is "gnarly" but I've only ever ridden in lower MI and don't want to get in over my head (I also don't want to waste the little mtb time I have riding boring areas). Are there any areas that have super technical/steep descents, mandatory gap jumps or things of that nature? I can handle myself on all our local stuff but I generally don't hit drops over a couple feet (especially on a trail I've never ridden). And on the chance that I can't find the dough to fix my On One, are any of these trails "undrideable" for a fat bike?

    I'm also looking forward to swinging by a few bike shops, any favorites in the area?

    Thanks in advance.

    The trails in Bent Creek are definitely most convenient from that campground. Everything is rideable with a hardtail or fatbike there. There are no big gap jumps, and only one large rocky drop if I remember correctly. The more technical trails are mostly so because of loose rock and some roots. You must ride up to get the fun down, so in relation to MI the climbing may be where you find it more difficult. Below is a link to one of the more popular rides in Bent Creek. If you ride almost all trails in Bent Creek, you can hit 30+ miles.

    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/3408618

    Be sure to check out Pisgah Area SORBA's website or MeetUp group. There are always rides posted on the MeetUp group, and often during the week.

    Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
  • 08-13-2017
    mountainbiker24
    There's a drop in Bent Creek?
  • 08-14-2017
    kyle_vk
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    The trails in Bent Creek are definitely most convenient from that campground. Everything is rideable with a hardtail or fatbike there. There are no big gap jumps, and only one large rocky drop if I remember correctly. The more technical trails are mostly so because of loose rock and some roots. You must ride up to get the fun down, so in relation to MI the climbing may be where you find it more difficult. Below is a link to one of the more popular rides in Bent Creek. If you ride almost all trails in Bent Creek, you can hit 30+ miles.

    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/3408618

    Be sure to check out Pisgah Area SORBA's website or MeetUp group. There are always rides posted on the MeetUp group, and often during the week.

    Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

    Thanks for the info!
  • 08-14-2017
    Mike Brown
    Kyle, I grew up in Rochester and have ridden all over lower MI. You'll be fine, Bent Creek is no more technically challenging than Highland or even some of Pontiac Lake. It is more technical, IMO, than say Fort Custer, which I think is nearer you. The main difference will, as others have noted, be the length of both uphills and descents.

    Have fun, you're going to love BC
  • 08-14-2017
    Adodero
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    There's a drop in Bent Creek?

    There are a few, I'm not sure which one he is referring to though. Most of the ones I've seen were fairly small, like the one at the bottom of Ingles just before you hit the fireroad. It's not that big though.

    The only one I've seen that is really likely to throw someone off is on Wolf Branch after that hip jump. You go around the berm and at the bottom on the right is a bit of a drop with a small gap, I think it's easy to come up on it and not realize it's there or that it's a gap.

    I can't say I've seen any others that would have thrown me off, all the others I saw (including the bottom of Ingles) were rollable.
  • 08-14-2017
    kyle_vk
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    Kyle, I grew up in Rochester and have ridden all over lower MI. You'll be fine, Bent Creek is no more technically challenging than Highland or even some of Pontiac Lake. It is more technical, IMO, than say Fort Custer, which I think is nearer you. The main difference will, as others have noted, be the length of both uphills and descents.

    Have fun, you're going to love BC


    Perfect! i've ridden Fort Custer quite a few times so that's a nice reference to have. And yeah i'm already preparing myself mentally (and somewhat physically) for more climbing. Ya gotta pay if you want to play i guess!
  • 08-14-2017
    Sugar_Brad
    You will be fine on hardtails at Bent Creek. You will be within riding distance of Mills River if you get bored. You will be close to the Blue Ridge Parkway if you are bringing a road bike. There are 3 bike shops on hwy 191 Brevard rd: Motion Makers, Carolina Fats, and Billy Goat Bikes. I'm biased to Motion Makers but any of the three will take care of you. Have a good trip.
  • 08-14-2017
    LaXCarp
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kyle_vk View Post
    (she doesn't do singletrack)

    Don't worry, there is no singletrack at Bent Creek.
  • 09-11-2017
    kyle_vk
    Well I got one warm up ride in before the campground kicked us out due to weather. Looks like we should be able to get back in if we don't go somewhere else (just for the sake of it, the campground was great). I think I did pines and explorer, both "easy", but tons of fun being so different than what I'm used to. Looks like we are going to go hike in Brevard and see the falls on Wednesday when the weather is nicer. The wife gave me the ok to sneak a ride in while we're out. If you had 1-2 hours to kill, what would be your route of choice? I like flow but I honestly think I'll love anything that isn't miserable on a 26" hardtail. I'm not so hot on steep drops or anything toooo gnarly, but other than that I can hold my own or just walk a spot if necessary. Thanks in advance, not going to let this rainy weather ruin 11 hours of driving!

    Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  • 09-11-2017
    aski
    If you go back to the Bent Creek campground, do the loop on MTBProject that was posted above. That's in the 1-2 hour range. As others have stated, it's not really technical but fun nonetheless. You mentioned going to see the falls....are you talking about Dupont? If so, there are endless 1-2 hour ride options there.
  • 09-12-2017
    Sugar_Brad
    You might want to consider renting a bike if you want to venture further into the forest. If not I would stick to Bent Creek, Mills River, and Dupont.
  • 09-12-2017
    Timothy G. Parrish
    You may want to check with the USFS. Some areas closed due to the weather, and I recall seeing Bent Creek included. DuPont may be a better option.

    Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
  • 09-12-2017
    Banjopickin
    [QUOTE=Timothy G. Parrish;13333172]You may want to check with the USFS. Some areas closed due to the weather, and I recall seeing Bent Creek included. DuPont may be a better option.

    Yep... Looks like BC is closed and alot more too...

    USFS Closures NC
  • 09-13-2017
    kyle_vk
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    You may want to check with the USFS. Some areas closed due to the weather, and I recall seeing Bent Creek included. DuPont may be a better option.

    Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

    Yeah I've been calling in and checking online for updates. Seems hard to believe it could be closed for too long, it rained a little and there wasn't much wind. We'll find something, my wallet can't take another day of walking through all these bike shops. [emoji3]

    Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  • 09-13-2017
    kyle_vk
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by aski View Post
    If you go back to the Bent Creek campground, do the loop on MTBProject that was posted above. That's in the 1-2 hour range. As others have stated, it's not really technical but fun nonetheless. You mentioned going to see the falls....are you talking about Dupont? If so, there are endless 1-2 hour ride options there.

    I was thinking off looking Glass/sliding rock/skinny dip but we do plan on making our way to Dupont at some point.

    Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk