Bent Creek loops from Lake Powhatan - beginner and and intermediate- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Bent Creek loops from Lake Powhatan - beginner and and intermediate

Hello,

My gf and I are camping at Lake powhatan next weekend and are looking for some fun beginner loops at Bent Creek from the camp site. I will also venture off by myself while she fishes and am looking for a loop that includes green lick. I will probably ride Friday, Sunday and Monday if anyone is interested. Are there other trails around Bent Creek? I am not the fittest and like fast and flowy trails.

Also any recommendations of sports bars to watch some football in Asheville?

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Here are a few routes worth checking out.
    Pisgah Area SORBA Bent Creek Routes
    Pisgah Area Sorba - Web Site Communications
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by nashwillis View Post
    Also any recommendations of sports bars to watch some football in Asheville?
    Say you're goin camping are ya?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks those loops were what i was looking for.

@ WNCGoater well camping and checking out Asheville, we have never been to Asheville and my gf wanted to do some shopping so I was trying to find a place to hang out while she did that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by nashwillis View Post
    Thanks those loops were what i was looking for.

@ WNCGoater well camping and checking out Asheville, we have never been to Asheville and my gf wanted to do some shopping so I was trying to find a place to hang out while she did that.
    Just kidding. You should check out the area, lots of interesting things to see in this whole region. I don't hang much in A'ville so can't recommend a sportsbar. I can recommend 12 Bones if you have a hankering for some decent BBQ and side dishes.

mtbr member
    Hickory Tavern in Biltmore Park. Wild Wingz Cafe downtown. I can't believe I'm giving sports bar recommendations; maybe somebody who's actually been to one can speak up. Those two, however, are definitely sports bars.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am not a sports bar kinda of guy, but I have noticed that Stone Ridge Tavern and Pappas and Beer both have had football (the american kind) on TV in their bars. Both are located very close to the campground.

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    Hickory Tavern in Biltmore Park. Wild Wingz Cafe downtown. I can't believe I'm giving sports bar recommendations; maybe somebody who's actually been to one can speak up. Those two, however, are definitely sports bars.
    What Mike said, but to add there is a new Wild wingz Cafe just down the street from Hickory Tavern which has lake view on Lake Julian

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Oh and don't forget to buy some raffle tickets for some awesome prizes! You can pick some up at Motion Makers.
    Pisgah Area SORBA Blog Archive 3rd annual Pisgah Area SORBA benefit at Jack of the Wood Nov. 4th, 2014 ? 6PM

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks, I will check out some of those palces and stop by and get some raffle tickets.

pwd
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My wife and I rode at Bent Creek for the first time last weekend. Prior to that, my wife had never ridden off-road.

If you or your girlfriend are a complete beginner, it might be a good idea to do some riding on one of Bent Creek's many fire service roads before attempting any singletrack. I can highly recommend the Bent Creek Gap road that goes from the Lake Powhatan area to the North Carolina Arboretum gate. A very easy ride along the creek.

You could also ride the Campground Connector (#329 on the map) to forest service road 479F. Go up 479F until you reach the Boyd Branch singletrack trail, and ride that back down toward the campground. The Boyd Branch trail is rated "easy," and I agree, with the exception of some rocks and a creek crossing near the beginning. (Just walk the bike in this section if it's too challenging. You can cross the creek without getting your feet wet, and things will get much easier after the crossing).

The Hardtimes Connector is another singletrack trail that is rated "easy," and for the most part, my wife didn't have any trouble with it (she opted to walk the bike a couple of times, but that had more to do with being in the wrong gear at the wrong time than any technical difficulty).

The Wolf Branch trail is also an easy ride. We didn't have time for the Ledford trail that connects to it, but it is rated "easy" as well.

Map is at: https://www.rideasheville.com/wp-con...entCreekTM.jpg
    Last edited by pwd; 09-24-2014 at 10:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Little FYI about the difficulty ratings in Pisgah and BC, my understanding is it has less to do with the difficulty of the terrain and more to do with the length of the trail. This makes the rating system back ass-ward to say the least.

pwd
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Snototter View Post
    Little FYI about the difficulty ratings in Pisgah and BC, my understanding is it has less to do with the difficulty of the terrain and more to do with the length of the trail. This makes the rating system back ass-ward to say the least.
    Indeed. I was told that the Forest Service rates the difficulty of these trails from the perspective of a hiker, not a mountain biker.

mtbr member
    Stop by Motion Makers (LBS) and pick up a Bent Creek/Pisgah map. Worth the $10 and breaks down difficulties fairly well.
    You can ride to the gates of the Arboretum from Bent Creek via Hard Times connector and enter by bike. Easy trails but great scenery. Greens Lick is overrated imo. If not paying attention you will end up on your ass quick. And/or evacuated by helicopter. It's been a year or so but the trail was mostly wash outs and super rocky. I much prefer Ingles Field, Hickory Top and all the Sidehill trails. Easier trials in Bent Creek are Explorer Loop, Wolf Branch, Ledford, Boyd's.

Sports bars: Juicy Lucy's Burger Bar has best TV's in town imo. And great food (Hendersonville Rd). Hickory Tavern in Biltmore Park is good for the lady to shop and you watching football. Right down the road is the new Wild Wing on the lake (as mentioned above). We like to sit outside there and watch the Sat & Sun games on occasion. Both off/on Long Shoals Rd.
    Stone Ridge is close but TV's are limited. Papa's & Beers has great Cali-Mex food and TV's are decent and close by.
    Take some time to tool around downtown. Friday night drum circles in Pritchard Park brah. West Asheville has stepped up their game lately too. Lots of great food and local shops.

Definitely not a shortage of stuff to do around here. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Awesome thread.

I've never been. Any hotel rec's for a 2-3 day stay to hit the above mentioned trails?
    2013 Salsa Spearfish 1
    2011 Trek Gary Fisher Montare
    1999 Trek 800

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Asheville is a tourist town. It is eat up with hotels. Lots of chains, and my guess, not many cheap; especially here at leaf peeking season. Bent Creek is near three exits on I-26, so there are a lot of hotel options in a 5-10 mile radius of the trails.

mtbr member
    There are several hostels that are pretty cheap. As long as you dont mind sharing a room and using a sleeping bag. Fall is mega-tourist season here so finding a decent price hotel in town might be tough.

you could always camp... thats my favorite way to spend the weekend trailside.
    On your left!

Evolutionsverlierer
    Quote Originally Posted by Snototter View Post
    Good to know, I was always wondering how they come up with their ratings.