Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bent Creek Exp. - Describe what your ideal trail would be for this trail system.

7K views 95 replies 24 participants last post by  jerry68 
#1 · (Edited)

Include a short description of what your ideal trail would be in the Bent Creek Experimental Forest. Of course this is each persons opinion and no ridicule for ones idea is needed. But all opinions are welcome. If your opinion is the same as someone else's opinion please copy it into your post. (An opinion is an opinion there is no right or wrong everyone is entitled to their own so there is no need to say why it is a bad or good idea.)

For Example:

I would enjoy all the trails connecting to each other with the least minimal fire road usage.
Please include more technical trails, for example more rocks in the trail, etc. Don't cut out trees to accommodate the trail. The trail should go around the trees.

See less See more
#5 ·
Another from Facebook

I love the trails the way they are at Bent Creek. We, as mountain bikers are so blessed to have so many options. The Creek is close by and it's where I usually ride, but if I want more of a challenge PNF is just as close and with hundreds of miles to ride the options are unlimited.If there were changes to be made it might be that some trails are designated for use like Tsali does, where bikes and horses alternate days. Or maybe directional trails like Ingles Field Gap and Little Hickory become downhill only. I'd like to see hunting stopped at The Creek because it is used by so many others that I think accidents are going to happen sooner or later and that will reflect on all users.

#12 ·
I think With All the trails out there in the area (PNF,DSF, & BC) there is not a lot lacking. Except something like FATS and some free ride stuff. Agreed Greenslick would be nice if it were downhill only. Ditto on some more connecting trails so as not to ride so many fire roads. Also a big flipping ramp into the lake. Maybe some skineys too.

Just for fun put a Pub at the top of Greenslick. I think it would help cut down on injuries.

#13 ·
I think With All the trails out there in the area (PNF,DSF, & BC) there is not a lot lacking. Except something like FATS and some free ride stuff. Agreed Greenslick would be nice if it were downhill only. Ditto on some more connecting trails so as not to ride so many fire roads. Also a big flipping ramp into the lake. Maybe some skineys too.

Just for fun put a Pub at the top of Greenslick. I think it would help cut down on injuries.
not a pub, it needs a tiki bar :thumbsup:

#14 ·
It looks like folks are interested in a trail from bottom of Greens Lick to Lower Side, so am I. This has been suggested for many years, if the FS is interested in seeing this at this point, it would be the place to start.

Bent Creek lost a lot of it's character when all the connecters were 86ed and Sidehill got paved over. When I ride BC with people not from around here, the comments are always that it's a fun place to ride but there is a whole lot of gravel road. Anything that would help bypass the roads, give users options, and get people (joggers and hikers too) spread out more would help.

I'd like to see a plan that includes:
- The fabled Greens Lick-to-Lower Sidehill trail
- A trail from Ledford TH to someplace near the top of Red Dirt/Boyd Branch
- A trail from Upper Explorer to the end of South Ridge
- A rebuilt Upper-to-Lower, including the continuation that went out to BC Gap Rd.
- Rebuilt trails that have been obliterated like all the Broccoli shortcuts and the trails that went by all the backyards.

Most of these already have the course and bed, they just need to be cleaned up and intelligently worked.

#15 ·
I personally would not want to see an overabundance of human built features made from imported materials. A specific trail or area with said would be great and any features using natural terrain and/or materials are great, but I ride in the woods to be in woods and don't want to see even more human impact when I'm there.

Anyone who is very passionate about these kinds of wishlists should consider attending Woodman's free trail work seminar so you can understand what goes into actually seeing major trail changes happen.

Mike

#16 ·
I personally would not want to see an overabundance of human built features made from imported materials. A specific trail or area with said would be great and any features using natural terrain and/or materials are great, but I ride in the woods to be in woods and don't want to see even more human impact when I'm there.

Anyone who is very passionate about these kinds of wishlists should consider attending Woodman's free trail work seminar so you can understand what goes into actually seeing major trail changes happen.

Mike
Link to seminar to RSVP

Pisgah Area SORBA » Blog Archive » Trail design, construction and maintenance workshop January 28th RSVP

#17 ·
My first thought too: "I would like to see a trail connecting the end of Greenslick/Sidehill to the top of Lower Sidehill."

I recall that there was a discussion about re-opening an existing old road bed a few years ago to eliminate the gravel road and connect in to the lower section of Side Hill, but do not remember why the possibility of clearing it was abandoned. Did it cut through a research plot?

(Will look for old notes)

#18 ·
it would make sense to add more doubles/table tops to Greenslick... at least as options... and improve the berms. for the other trails, maybe integrating some more "natural" jumps and drops, etc...

#23 ·
Post from Facebook

Something with some jumps and berms and maybe a few gap/drop things would be nice. All the public land we have access to in western NC and there are no trails that cater to people that like that sort of thing. Greens Lick was cool for minute until it all got numbed down. I think that there are enough XC type trails to keep that particular style of rider busy for a long time and that gearing every single trail in western NC to that style of riding is a little selfish.

#27 ·
1.Bent Creek is an experimental forest and has been since the 30's or so. The USFS has used the area for much research including timber cutting methods, oak re-generation etc.

Recreation is much more of a part of what the USFS does now as is witnessed by the parting comments of the current Pisgah Forest Supervisor Mary Sue H. Why not use Bent Creek as as an educational and experimental forest for trails and managing recreation? Different trail techniques that could be applied on other forest trail systems throughout the SE and other places that have similar eco-systems.

2. Develop some all weather single track trails on important connectors giving trail users options for single track even when the weather is bad. The techniques they have employed in other wet climates such as Scotland and Wales would be implemented in BC and would enhance the user experience and provide for more durable trails.

3. More elevated wood structures to ride on. My friend Mike Brown does not like these as he wants to go into the forest to escape, but many BC problems could be mitigated by use of elevated timber trails and many would enjoy these. I just see them as a solution to real problems and if trails can not be moved (due to cultural resource issues) then we need many tools in our bag.

4. Design and build a really cool kids trail and skills learning area near the campground.The site where they dumped all the soil from dredging the lake a few years back is perfect. Lots to work with there and easy for kids and families to ride in from anywhere in the campground. Make this kid friendly and just imagine how many would use this whether staying in the campground or not. Opportunity for the following here: Pump track, perimeter loop with rollers and berms and mini table tops, wood features to teach kids and novice riders about riding bridges and boardwalks, rock gardens and more. I have scoped this area and it is prime. No environmental concerns either, they just dumped a buch of soil that came from the lake there. No T+E species or cultural resource issues, the EA they did for the dredging project covered this issues. Also, this falls within the "developed recreation area" known as the campground and out of the control of the experimental forest staff. See photos:

Attachments

#31 ·
Wood,

I love your idea of developing that eyesore next to the campground into something other than a mudpit...but, would utilizing that land fall under the auspices of the campground folks themselves? I've been traipsing around BC for a bit over 30 years now and there has always been a bit of fuzziness on the multiple governing bodies that control the different pieces of ground in there...Dept of AG for some, Dept of Interior for some, NC Schools for another...who controls that mud?

#32 ·
You and I own the mud (along with all other US citizens). The campground is owned by the USFS, but a contractor concession runs it (Cradle of Forestry, a non-profit).

Pisgah district manages the recreation in the developed recreation area including controlling the swimming beach. If they wanted to see this proposed development, then it would happen.

My idea is make the proposal so they could not say no. Saying no to kids having fun in the National Forest, that would be like saying no Xmas this year.

I really think we could pull this off if folks were willing to roll up sleeves and work for it.

#34 ·
"3. More elevated wood structures to ride on. My friend Mike Brown does not like these as he wants to go into the forest to escape, but many BC problems could be mitigated by use of elevated timber trails and many would enjoy these. I just see them as a solution to real problems and if trails can not be moved (due to cultural resource issues) then we need many tools in our bag. "

It's not that I'm opposed to elevated wood structures. I just don't want to see them littered along "every" trail. I had an awesome time riding in the West Coast BC several years ago...most of the trails I rode did not have elevated structures, they made use of natural terrain and materials and used elevated structures only in a few areas and/or where they just had to. Using wood structures in that manner and not to just create extra huck lines...that's A-Ok with me, and, again, if there was a freeride area or specific trail, I also think that'd be cool.

All that said, I agree with s-otter that there's a lot mileage to be covered before we get to anything like any of that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.