Bent Creek and Dupont - Suggested loops- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bent Creek and Dupont - Suggested loops

All you Western Carolina experts help me out...we are heading west from Raleigh next week for 4 days of riding in the Asheville area. 2 of the places we def want to go is Bent Creek and Dupont trails. I'd love for anyone that can rattle off a good loop or two for each trail system. The maps are a little overwhelming and not knowing the area I'd hate to spend 15 miles in the saddle grinding up and down fire roads.

We are looking about 20-25milers with nice flowing single track. Hills and technical trails are OK in the mix. A fireroad or two to get us where we are going is ok too (I hear that is some of the "ups" at Bent Creek). I have heard good things about Green Lick trail in Bent Creek and Ridgeline at Dupont. We also want to do the balds up at Dupont.

Please, please, please dear sirs - any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

Big Mac
    Again, buy one of the excellent maps and learn to read it. Also, search and check the stickies.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I like this one at Bent Creek. Easily can be made into a mini-epic by turning two laps:

Pisgah Area SORBA Blog Archive Bent Creek Intermediate/Advanced Ride from Ledford Parking Area

--Dean

mtbr member
    Here's my go-to Dupont loop. First, visit the Hub, in Brevard, and pick up their excellent Dupont map. The trails are EXTREMELY well marked so, armed with this map, you'll be able to navigate any route you want, regardless of how complicated.

In the meantime, here's a good PDF to use to follow the route suggestions you'll see on this forum.

http://ncforestservice.gov/contacts/...rail%20Map.pdf

Park at Corn Mill Shoals parking area. It's the blue P in the southeast corner of that map.

Then read this thread for my favorite loop: http://forums.mtbr.com/north-south-c...nt-966426.html

For Bent Creek, here's a fun loop: Greens Lick / Ingles Field Gap Loop Mountain Bike Trail, Biltmore Forest, NC

It looks complicated but it's very easy to follow.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Bent Creek: Ingles Field, Green's Lick, Lower Side Hill.

mtbr member
    Dean and Kevin - thanks for the links of loops. I've seen the suggestions on the Dupont thread and plan to put something together. We are def going to pick up a map once we get there. I was not aware that there were better maps than what was online on the Dupont site. We will def use all the suggestions everyone has and mark out what we feel will be a good loop. Thanks again for the input and links!

gonna go practice my reading now.

mtbr member
    Go to www.mtbproject.com. There you will find what you seek. The better rides with descriptions can be found there along with trail elevation profiles, pictures, and more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    Go to MTB Project | Mountain Bike Trail Maps. There you will find what you seek. The better rides with descriptions can be found there along with trail elevation profiles, pictures, and more.
    +1

Fantastic app/site. It does two great things for you. First, it recommends RIDES, not just trails. Anyone can open a map and find trails but it takes local knowledge to put a bunch of trails together to form a great ride. MTBProject does that for you. Second, it lays your GPS position on the actual ride map. Make navigation a breeze.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post

Anyone can open a map and find trails but it takes local knowledge to put a bunch of trails together to form a great ride.
    I like that sir...yes, I downloaded that last week and have been tooling around with it. Thanks again Kevin and TGP!

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dbfutrell View Post
    I like that sir...yes, I downloaded that last week and have been tooling around with it. Thanks again Kevin and TGP!
    Check out are those published by the Pisgah Map Company. Their paper maps are by far the best for this area. For out-of-towners looking for local loops, they publish some of the loops digitally with a geo-aware PDF reader so that you can just use your phone and follow the line.

Linkage: the "Pisgah Rides" and "Dupont Rides" links at http://pisgahmapcompany.com/mobile/maps/.

mtbr member
    We ended up doing this...printed and tape to the top tube of my bike.

Better bring your legs!

Park at Corn Mill Shoals Trailhead -
    Corn Mill Shoals Trail >
    Burnt Mtn (clockwise) >
    Corn Mill Shoals >
    Little River >
    Cedar Rock (powerline entrance) >
    Big Rock >
    Corn Mill Shoals >
    Longside >
    Pinetree >
    Cascade >
    Cascade Lake Rd >
    Rock Quarry Rd >
    Buck Ridge Rd >
    Micajah >
    Wilke

We kind of winged it at Benk Creek. It started raining about noon - luckily got in some fun runs (about 14 miles) hard to say how much was on the greenway lost though. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!!! Had a great time and can't wait to come back.