Bent Creek or Dupont State Forest?- Mtbr.com
    Super Moderator SuperModerator

Bent Creek or Dupont State Forest?

Greeting dear riders,

I'm a huge fan of mountain and I usually MTB in Bent Creek. I've done most of the trails there but still loving the place. I've never biked at Dupont yet, so my question is, which one, in your opinion, is better? Bent Creek is closer to my house, so that's why I go there a lot. I do wanna start Dupont as well though.

Any insight is appreciated!

Vlad

Big Mac

You don't have to pick just one. You can ride both. And this is coming from a guy who also loves the mountain. For a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    You don't have to pick just one. You can ride both. And this is coming from a guy who also loves the mountain. For a long time.

Oh no. I'm not trying to pick one. I wanna know which one people think it's better. If Dupont is as good, I wanna start riding it as well. I love Bent Creek too much to let it go.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    You can go back its not like cheating on your wife then telling her

mtbr member
    Just ride it all... Bent Creek, Dupont, Old Fort, Tsali, etc. Dont forget you have a few trails up 276 as well haha.

Its all good. You'll only get better at riding the more you push your boundaries and ride different things.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMtBiker View Post
    Greeting dear riders,

I'm a huge fan of mountain and I usually MTB in Bent Creek. I've done most of the trails there but still loving the place. I've never biked at Dupont yet, so my question is, which one, in your opinion, is better? Bent Creek is closer to my house, so that's why I go there a lot. I do wanna start Dupont as well though.

Any insight is appreciated!

Vlad
    I think Dupont is prettier. Not sure if that makes it "better" or not. It's got some really pretty waterfalls etc.

mtbr member
    DuPont has:

More miles of trail.

More trailheads to choose from.

Great scenery (waterfalls).

Much flowier trails.

Not as much vertical climbing as BC.

A place to take a dump that's not a pit toilet.

It also has:

Zillions of horses and hikers.

Very little in the way of technical trails.

Unavoidable creek crossings if you want to do all sides of the park (only a concern in winter).

BC has:

More long climbs.

More technical trails (at least there a few rocks left at BC)

Less hikers (once you get away from the lake) and zero horses.

Some really fun long downhills.

Closer access to bike shops and beer.

So just make your choice and ride!
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    DuPont has:
    It also has:

Zillions of horses and hikers.
    Very little in the way of technical trails.
    Unavoidable creek crossings if you want to do all sides of the park (only a concern in winter).
    This dovetails my usual description of DuPont: "Some really great trails and views separated by pretty boring miles of sand, mud, and horse sh*t."

Rogue Exterminator
    Oh no. I'm not trying to pick one. I wanna know which one people think it's better. If Dupont is as good, I wanna start riding it as well. I love Bent Creek too much to let it go.
    Neither is better, they are just different.
    It is like asking what is better apples or oranges. You will only find out what each person likes better but if you don't ever try the other you will never know what you like better. Also, don't forget to try bananas. They are pretty good too.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Big Mac

What about clementines? Aren't they supposed to be the best?

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    What about clementines? Aren't they supposed to be the best?
    Only if you are a little kid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just go try DuPont. If you're close to BC, that means you can't be that too away from DuPont, as they are maybe 45 minutes apart if that.

As mentioned, DuPont is cool, but harder to tie fun sections of trails together than in BC.

I'll check out DuPont soon...once the snow melts. I'm more into climbs and jumps...sound like Bent Creek is the place for that. Anyhow, I'll give it a try.

And yeah...I love bananas

Quote Originally Posted by IoC View Post
    This dovetails my usual description of DuPont: "Some really great trails and views separated by pretty boring miles of sand, mud, and horse sh*t."
    mmmm yeah....I don't want no horse stuff.

I think I'm up for Tsali soon

Rogue Exterminator
    I'll check out DuPont soon...once the snow melts. I'm more into climbs and jumps...sound like Bent Creek is the place for that. Anyhow, I'll give it a try.

And yeah...I love bananas
    What snow?
    It all left the day it came.

Lots of jumps in DuPont, you just need to know where they are.
    If you you don't know, you will pass by them.

mmmm yeah....I don't want no horse stuff.

I think I'm up for Tsali soon
    You will find less horse crap in the winter time. Although not as much, Tsali has horse crap also but if you like Tsali, you should love DuPont.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Where are these rocky trails at bent creek? I'm not too familiar with BC. I haven't been on greenslick in years but I have heard that it has eroded some and now has more rocks.

Do you live in or near asheville? I originally assumed that from your OP, but then I read it again and figured that BC might be the closest to you on your trips to asheville.
    However, if you do live in asheville, what the hell is you problem . You should be riding everything. Pisgah, dupont, GRG, BC, even kolo. Especially before driving to tsali.

And like Kjlued said there are tons of jumps in dupont. Checkout burnt mountain and big rock. Cedar has some good jumps/drops on the lower (non granite) section. Pretty much anything can be a jump/double/gap if you have enough speed.

If you like climbs you need to go to pisgah.

Quote Originally Posted by matty22c View Post
    Where are these rocky trails at bent creek? I'm not too familiar with BC. I haven't been on greenslick in years but I have heard that it has eroded some and now has more rocks.

Do you live in or near asheville? I originally assumed that from your OP, but then I read it again and figured that BC might be the closest to you on your trips to asheville.
    However, if you do live in asheville, what the hell is you problem . You should be riding everything. Pisgah, dupont, GRG, BC, even kolo. Especially before driving to tsali.

And like Kjlued said there are tons of jumps in dupont. Checkout burnt mountain and big rock. Cedar has some good jumps/drops on the lower (non granite) section. Pretty much anything can be a jump/double/gap if you have enough speed.

Good point, I had been barely MTBing for the last 2 years...since when I bought my bike. However, I started biking more and more in the beginning of the Fall. It is now my favorite hobby. That's why I haven't been to all the places yet.

Big Mac

Good point, I had been barely MTBing for the last 2 years...since when I bought my bike. However, I started biking more and more in the beginning of the Fall. It is now my favorite hobby. That's why I haven't been to all the places yet.
    Then you have a lot to look forward to!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yeah, for reals. Get out to dupont and pisgah for sure. You will not be disappointed. You must have all the trails! If you like rocks and scaring yourself a bit, then checkout Big Rock, Cedar and Burnt Mtn out of the corn mill shoals lot in Dupont. Might want to take Burnt CCW first in order to get a look at the tech section and then you'll have a flowy DH with some rollers and a few rocks. If you feel up to the tech section then turn around and ride it CW.
    You definitely need checkout the sufferfest climbs in pisgah too. A good start is daniels ridge. Not a sufferfest climb, but it is a nice and rocky climb if you go CW.

Rogue Exterminator
    When you venture out of BC you will be kicking yourself that you didn't do it sooner.
    DuPont is one of those parks where you have to know where the features are in order to have fun. A lot of them are not so obvious like they are at BC but when you find them you can catch some pretty good air.

Just wait til you discover Pisgah too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Here is a little booter at dupont you might just ride by if you weren't looking.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

Here is a little booter at dupont you might just ride by if you weren't looking.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater
    Yeeehaaaw!!! What's the trail name?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would ride Dupont more if was closer. Bent Creek is 15 minutes from my work. Dupont is about 45 minutes. Also Bent Creek is adjacent to North Mills Rivers with is adjacent to South Mills area, Laurel/Pilot, Black Mtn, Clawhammer, Davidson River Farlow etc. Massive potential for epics where you never leave the national forest.

Green's Lick has some big jumps and rocks. Ingles Field also has rocks. Sometime my palms hurt so bad from the rocks that I had to stop and rest them. Also, have you tried the Powe Line Jumps at the bottom of Ledford Branch? Whew, those are fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yeeehaaaw!!! What's the trail name?
    Pine Tree. First trail on the left after crossing the road at the corn mill shoals parking lot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Was going to park this in the 3rd Coast Enduro thread, but this seem better.

Something to take into consideration is how one rides said trail can affect how challenging and dangerous it is. The faster you go and the more challenging the lines you pick, the harder the trail becomes (duh). I have seen really experienced bikers ride hard/technical trails without falling, but a lot of times they are looking for the easiest line available (sometimes even going off trail). The interesting thing about doing this is it kind of closes your mind. They end up doing this on the "easier" trails as well, out of habit (we all did this as beginners, well most of us). Now if you start trying the harder lines (doesn't need to be the hardest) and looking for the right things (backsides, built or natural jumps/drops/gaps) you will train you mind to find these things anywhere (even easy trails). Speed just amps everything up. The faster you go not only makes it harder, but also increases your options for jumps and gaps, which increases the challenge level of the trail.

I'm probably a middle of the pack rider in terms of skill, but I can get myself into a lot of trouble be it on a flow trail or something super rocky/tech. It is like the gnar score that Bike James talked about in an article. Exhibit A is a rider on say the rocky DH bits of daniels ridge, taking it slow and going on the easier line. Exhibit B is me on Ridgeline. It isn't rocky, but with the speed I'm carrying taking those turns (with trees inches away) and hitting little jumps and drops, I have made the trail more challenging/dangerous than A's (slow) ride down daniel's good bits.

I disliked riding here in the triangle. I would really only bike when I visited my Dad in asheville. I thought the trails here were boring. I was out of shape and really not maintaining a good avg speed of any kind. I finally have gotten into decent shape and now I can maintain a higher speed and everyday I'm finding new features on trails I have ridden for years. This gave me many more options for jumps and gaps and made stuff I already hit much better (well minus h2fs). Not to mention the challenge of maintaining speed through tight off-cambers and tons of other types of turns.

That video I posted sums it up quite nicely. I have hit that jump before, but I didn't have near the speed nor skill nor balls to take it 40' like they did. I probably went 8 ft or so and was like weeeeee. Many other riders probably don't even notice it.

ramble off