Bent creek and DuPont questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Bent creek and DuPont questions

In two weeks the fiancé and me have a trip booked to brevard. I’m planning a n riding pisgah proper DuPont and bent creek.

The question is that she’s got a congenital heart defect that prevents her from riding anything but pedal assist. We’re from north Georgia mulberry gap area and the GAFS allow her to ride with a sort of “prescription” from her doc. Anyone here have any knowledge on that? The main pisgah would be more than she could chew. But I think some of bent creek or DuPont would be ok

mtbr member
    I don't know of any exceptions to the eBike rule here but I have seen eBikes at both Dupont and Bent Creek and its never bothered me...

Maybe call the USFS in Asheville to check?...(828) 257-4297
    On your left!

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Hbnel5on View Post
    In two weeks the fiancé and me have a trip booked to brevard. I’m planning a n riding pisgah proper DuPont and bent creek.

The question is that she’s got a congenital heart defect that prevents her from riding anything but pedal assist. We’re from north Georgia mulberry gap area and the GAFS allow her to ride with a sort of “prescription” from her doc. Anyone here have any knowledge on that? The main pisgah would be more than she could chew. But I think some of bent creek or DuPont would be ok
    Bent Creek does not allow ebikes, as it’s within the Pisgah National Forest. AFAIK, DuPont doesn’t allow them either, but the future is as of yet unclear. Maybe Bailey’s or Sugar mountain allow them, as they’re both private lands. Worth a looksee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    If you don't wear a big sign that says "I'm riding an ebike," I doubt if most people would notice or care. Unless you are going up the slickrock at 15 mph without pedaling.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Sugar opens end of June, Beech end of May. Both are lift access DH only, ie you can't ride your ebike up. Ebikes are allowed in Emerald Outback, Rocky Knob, Fire MTN, Whitewater Center, and fire/service roads in Pisgah. If you are committed to the Asheville area check out Fire MTN.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Bent Creek does not allow ebikes, as it’s within the Pisgah National Forest. AFAIK, DuPont doesn’t allow them either, but the future is as of yet unclear. Maybe Bailey’s or Sugar mountain allow them, as they’re both private lands. Worth a looksee.

I thought Dupont's policy was more of a "we don't have a policy yet" so they could sort of play the wait and see game.

Yeah, AFAIK, Bent Creek and the rest of Pisgah proper have no exceptions to the no e-bike rule.

That said, I've seen e-bikes at all of these places. Usually they've been ridden by people who legitimately wouldn't be on the trails otherwise, and they were respectful trail users. I've got no problems with that. Can't guarantee the reactions of others, especially on busier trails.

Once, I encountered some guy on an ebike on top of Cedar Rock who was riding like a jerk, similar to mike's hypothetical...

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I thought Dupont's policy was more of a "we don't have a policy yet" so they could sort of play the wait and see game.

That could be, not sure. I was under the impression that they were not allowed, until they officially are.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post

Yeah, AFAIK, Bent Creek and the rest of Pisgah proper have no exceptions to the no e-bike rule.

That said, I've seen e-bikes at all of these places. Usually they've been ridden by people who legitimately wouldn't be on the trails otherwise, and they were respectful trail users. I've got no problems with that. Can't guarantee the reactions of others, especially on busier trails.

Once, I encountered some guy on an ebike on top of Cedar Rock who was riding like a jerk, similar to mike's hypothetical...
    We won’t be in pisgah proper with An e bike as that’s probably
    Too rowdy for her liking. I did not think about fire mountain and those trail seem to be bad ass. We’re always respectful of other trail users and in general not going fast. Just cruising.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    We were down there a few weeks ago and the guys at the HUB said that e-bikes were not allowed anywhere in the area. Also, if you were hoping to rent one, they said none of the shops did that since there was essentially no-where to ride them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Lake James State Park allows class 1 ebikes on their mtb trails, Fire Mtn Trails are opening to ebikes. I often wonder if the Biltmore Estates allow ebikes on their trail systems, it might be worth checking on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Hbnel5on View Post
    We won’t be in pisgah proper with An e bike as that’s probably
    Too rowdy for her liking. I did not think about fire mountain and those trail seem to be bad ass. We’re always respectful of other trail users and in general not going fast. Just cruising.
    Don't underestimate Fire Mountain! Yeah the trails arent gnarly and you wont get the rugged Pisgah experience but they are really really fun. And if they allow ebikes like everyone is saying, thats a winner

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by notso View Post
    Also, if you were hoping to rent one, they said none of the shops did that since there was essentially no-where to ride them.
    There is at least one shop in Asheville that rents them or has a demo. There are none around Brevard, though, AFAIK.