Bent Creek Defined 8/12

Printable View

• 08-23-2012
    M-U-M
    Bent Creek Defined 8/12
  • 08-23-2012
    mattnmtns
    Thanks for all the work Dobovedo!

You might already be using something like this, but if not its worth mentioning. I have a GPS app on my phone that works pretty good. You can take pictures and it marks a waypoint. You can then share that waypoint via several different methods including email. You then have a record of the image and location in form of a .kmz You can open that open in google earth and its accurate with in 16ft. It shows the location and the picture. Pretty cool to a geek like me:)

Always thought about volunteering for the trail surveys. I might just have to do that.
  • 08-23-2012
    dobovedo
    I wanted to use a better camera than the one on my phone, so I brought my Panasonic Lumix and used my Garmin 305. The two aren't linked, but I'm hoping I can find some kind of software program that can match up the images to a GPS track using time stamps from the waypoints and EXIF info. Anybody ever heard of something like that?

Next camera will have GPS. Looking at a Lumix DMC-ZS20. Has a ton of features but I've heard optics aren't as good as my trusty old ZS1
  • 08-23-2012
    mattnmtns
    I have a Pentax WG1 , great rugged waterproof camera. I bought it without the GPS but you can get them with it. Mainly got it for fishing and boating where I have killed countless others. Takes awesome pictures and video outdoors. Inside and in very low light not so much. That said I have no idea what the interface/interlink is like. What I mentioned above is from an app for my iPhone. All in all not a huge fan of the iPhone compared to the droid but it has some pluses. The phone part, camera and GPS seem pretty solid.

I am sure you can link the two up, it will just take some work. Thats where I am impressed with the iPhone app, makes it simple, not great, just easy. Kind of liking easy these days.

I see you are the organizer for some of the group rides at BC. I usually do my own thing solo or with a few friends but maybe we will cross paths.

:cheers
  • 08-24-2012
    dobovedo
    Revised Link 2012-0812 Bent Creek Trail Survey - a set on Flickr

Added Geotagging information using EasyGPS and reuploaded the entire set. Cool little program, although a bit frustrating to figure out... help sucks. But hey.. what do you expect for free?