Bent Creek Bear Alert- Mtbr.com
    Official Cooler Inspector

Bent Creek Bear Alert

The warm temps have app-bear-ently stirred up our furry neighbors. Had a young one in the back yard tonight. Did not see Mom.... Don't know about the rest of the forest area, but I have a long history of their visits (she introduced me to three cubs last year). You folks who cruise or hike at night be bear-aware along the access to the water plant and Rice Pinnacle (Liberty House) sections.

mtbr member
    Yep, I've seen a youngin' last summer.... surprised the snot out of me!
    My one says BRAP!

thecentralscrutinizer
    I'd love to see one. Provided my bike is pointed downhill in case a quick departure is needed.
    2019 Giant Fastroad Advanced
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29
    2020 Giant XTC Advanced 29
    2019 Surly Karate Monkey

OB1
    mtbr member
    I'm too tasty. I'll stay away.
    <Insert clever saying here>

When did you get here?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd
    I'd love to see one. Provided my bike is pointed downhill in case a quick departure is needed.
    I walked up on two HUGE bears at the bottom of Club Gap trail a few years ago. The speed at which they ran away made me realize one thing. If a quick departure is needed, you're screwed. THEY are the masters of the terrain. If they would have come at me (highly unlikely) I would have had just about enough time to think, 'huh, that thing is coming at me' before it would have been there.
    SCARY!
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    Check www.bear.org. The lean black bear can run uphill, downhill, or on flat ground at speeds up to 30 mph. All i can say is RUN, Forest ,Run!

thecentralscrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahproductions
    I walked up on two HUGE bears at the bottom of Club Gap trail a few years ago. The speed at which they ran away made me realize one thing. If a quick departure is needed, you're screwed. THEY are the masters of the terrain. If they would have come at me (highly unlikely) I would have had just about enough time to think, 'huh, that thing is coming at me' before it would have been there.
    SCARY!
    ''

Oh yeah, I realize this. I've heard many a story about sightings that ended the same way as yours. I would probably be wanting a quick departure too....the same as the bears. I certainly would not push my luck.
    2019 Giant Fastroad Advanced
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29
    2020 Giant XTC Advanced 29
    2019 Surly Karate Monkey

Dec 2006
    I have a funny bear story from a buddy of mine who does lives in Alaska and does a good bit of hunting...This story was from his uncle who came to visit him and was going to the local gun shop to buy a gun...

The uncle goes in and sees a .44 handgun...ya know, the dirty harry version...he walks up to the counter puts it down and gets his wallet out...the store owner says, "This is a very nice handgun, may I ask how you plan to use it?" The uncle says, "Well...I am going to visit my nephew in Alaska and he says they see quite a bit of bear, some Grizzly's, etc...and I want to be sure I am protected in case I see one come near me." The store owner looks at him, walks over and grabs what appears to be a large metal filer, and says, "Well, I better go ahead and file this sight down for you." The uncle looks at him strange and says, "Well why would you want to do that??" The store owner looked at him, grinned and said, "Well, I want to file it down to be sure it doesn't hurt you." The uncle says, "Well, how is it gonna hurt me?" The store owner replies, "Well, it won't hurt as much when that bear grabs this gun from you and sticks it up your ass!"

Members who have read this thread: 0