Bell Mountain Road off Lake Summit (non-MTB content)?- Mtbr.com
    RDO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Bell Mountain Road off Lake Summit (non-MTB content)?

Due to all the rain, we have been doing a lot of gravel riding recently (fun!). Have tried to stay off pavement, but several people have mentioned Bell Mountain Road from South Lake Summit in Tuxedo to Saluda. I've looked on the web and found little info on it. Anyone familiar with it? Am interested in the amount of auto traffic and amount of climbing. One of us has a quota on climbing. I know it's not gravel.

mtbr member
    I may have ridden that. I have done a bunch of gravel in that area but I don't really know the names of the roads. I would guess that the traffic is pretty light. If you want a good gravel loop, you can park at the gas station at the corner of Hwy 25 and Green River road. Take Green river road up towards Dupont. After about 4 miles it turns in to dirt and eventually comes out by the Reasonover parking lot. There are a lot of options from there, including Pinnacle Mtn. Rd (some nasty climbing), Sky Valley Rd., and all the gravel inside DSF. Pinnacle takes you all the way back to old Hwy 25 and it is a fairly pleasant ride back down to the gas station. There is some traffic on that road.

Also take a look at the course for the Dirt Diggler on the Blue Ridge Adventures web site. That is a 48 mile loop with tons of climbing. About half of it is gravel and the rest pavement.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

RDO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks for the info, I've done the Gravel part of Pinnacle and all the Dupont stuff. Only done Green River on a motorbike. Good info on the gas station, I always wonder where to park on some of these out-of-park routes.

Will check out the Dirt Diggler stuff. In case you're not familiar it with there's a website: gravelmap.com that has gravel roads with elevation profiles from all over the country. It's more moto focused but very useful. Also NCDOT has a website for all unpaved roads.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RDO View Post
    . Good info on the gas station, I always wonder where to park on some of these out-of-park routes.
    And the best part of parking there is that you can get a deep fried hot dog from the food trailer parked out back on the weekends.

RDO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    And the best part of parking there is that you can get a deep fried hot dog from the food trailer parked out back on the weekends.
    I'm going to die from excessive hotdogs. Already addicted to Hot Dog World in H'ville and those aren't even deep fried. Perhaps will be able to check it out this weekend. forecast for Sunday is looking positive.

mtbr member
    The first time I saw them drop a hot dog in the fryer I was mildly grossed out. But then I tried it and it was great. It puts a nice crispy exterior on the dog.

RDO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Did the Bell Mountain Ride. Very nice, low key mix of gravel and paved. Mostly paved and little to no traffic.

Update on the food trailer: it's called Mike's Chuckwagon. Open Monday through Saturday 7am to 7pm. We didn't have the hot dogs. I had the rib eye steak sandwich and wife had meat loaf, mashed potatoes and green beans. Very tasty food and friendly people, deep fried hot dog next time.

Dig it!
    Did the Bell Mountain Ride. Very nice, low key mix of gravel and paved. Mostly paved and little to no traffic.

Update on the food trailer: it's called Mike's Chuckwagon. Open Monday through Saturday 7am to 7pm. We didn't have the hot dogs. I had the rib eye steak sandwich and wife had meat loaf, mashed potatoes and green beans. Very tasty food and friendly people, deep fried hot dog next time.
    Always get the specials at Mike's Chuckwagon and you will be stoked. The corn nuggets also rock as does the Monster Sandwich. The breakfast burritos are on point but pretty risky before a ride.
    Should you do more trail work?

Dig it!
    Did the Bell Mountain Ride. Very nice, low key mix of gravel and paved. Mostly paved and little to no traffic
    What was your route RDO?

Also Mama Coe's Tacos is super fresh and surprisingly good too!

RDO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Parked at the Tuxedo Park. Took South Lake Summit(dirt/gravel) to Bell Mountain, left on Heavenly Heights (which is initially dirt/gravel), then left on Pace Mountain (dirt/gravel) and then a brief mostly downhill stint on 176 and back to South Lake Summit to complete the loop. Only about 13 miles with 900 feet of easy climbing. Not much for people who like challenges, but on a cold day perfect for us.

I enjoy the ghost town affect of both sides of Lake Summit this time of year. New and exotic to us, but I imagine a zoo in the summer with lots of boats and traffic.

Thanks for the recommendation on Mama Coe's. I had my eye on that as we drove by.

Dig it!
    Next time consider crossing 176 onto Macedonia Rd then take a letter onto Pot Shoals (super fun and fast paced DH to the Green River) which takes you back to 176. Go left, cross the bridge and you are back to S. Lake Summit Rd. Or cross 176 and take the shorter N. Lake Summit Rd back to 225.

You can also park at the Tuxedo Park which has bathrooms and water.

Head phones will get you killed around Lake Summit. Just sayin'
    Parked at the Tuxedo Park. Took South Lake Summit(dirt/gravel) to Bell Mountain, left on Heavenly Heights (which is initially dirt/gravel), then left on Pace Mountain (dirt/gravel) and then a brief mostly downhill stint on 176 and back to South Lake Summit to complete the loop. Only about 13 miles with 900 feet of easy climbing. Not much for people who like challenges, but on a cold day perfect for us.

I enjoy the ghost town affect of both sides of Lake Summit this time of year. New and exotic to us, but I imagine a zoo in the summer with lots of boats and traffic.

Thanks for the recommendation on Mama Coe's. I had my eye on that as we drove by.

RDO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bfluid View Post
    Next time consider crossing 176 onto Macedonia Rd then take a letter onto Pot Shoals (super fun and fast paced DH to the Green River) which takes you back to 176. Go left, cross the bridge and you are back to S. Lake Summit Rd. Or cross 176 and take the shorter N. Lake Summit Rd back to 225.

You can also park at the Tuxedo Park which has bathrooms and water.

Head phones will get you killed around Lake Summit. Just sayin'
    Just looked at the map. Macedonia looks like an excellent addition. Will try that next time. Thanks for the rec.

I take it the head phone issue is seasonal. We've done both Lake Summits since mid November and there've been a total of no more than 5 or 6 slow moving cars. I dislike 176, especially going under that railroad bridge.

Dig it!
    Just looked at the map. Macedonia looks like an excellent addition. Will try that next time. Thanks for the rec.

I take it the head phone issue is seasonal. We've done both Lake Summits since mid November and there've been a total of no more than 5 or 6 slow moving cars. I dislike 176, especially going under that railroad bridge.
    It's really the occasional teenager hauling ass that you have to worry about. That road is a race course for some people. Cough cough

mtbr member
    I am always amazed at some of the huge houses people have built on tiny lots on that lake. There are some houses that I guess would sell for over a million bucks on that little dirt road.

Dig it!
    All of those houses are over a million...
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    I am always amazed at some of the huge houses people have built on tiny lots on that lake. There are some houses that I guess would sell for over a million bucks on that little dirt road.

RDO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    The dock on this place on South Lake Summit probably cost more than my house+cars+bikes combined.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2221.../data=!3m1!1e3