Beer...Can someone help me!?!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Beer...Can someone help me!?!

So I will be making a trip up to the Hendersonville area mid August. I usually make at least one trip per year and stay around Brevard so I know my way around the trail systems fairly well. My questions for the purpose of this thread will relate to beer. I hear Asheville has a good local brew scene and would not mind a suggestion or two about where to grab some good local brew, decent food and maybe some live music. Also, I would like to know if there are any "beer specific" stores around Hendersonville preferably or Asheville. My desire is to have a good variety of beer in the cabin at my disposal. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Maida's house.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike
    Maida's house.
    Casa Maida has on tap a Pilsner and a double IPA. In bottles I have a Belgian Dubble, Tripel and a Scotch ale. In my reserve kegs I have an American wheat, a German Hefeweizen, a Belgian Saison and a German Weizenbock. Sunday I'm making a clone of Stone Levitation. But sorry folks all of that is for personal consumption

The beer scene is in Asheville. The Wedge is a great brew pub with outdoor beer garden and a real taste of the Asheville vibe. All the other breweries have tasting rooms, Highland, Greenman, Craggie, LAB, Pisgah (in Black Mtn), French Broad, ABC, etc...

The best beer bar is the Thirsty Monk. It's no contest. Barley's is a distant second. The Asheville Hanna Flanagons (not the one in Hendo) also has a great selection but it too crowded and smoky for me. Mellow mushroom also has great beer and if you sit outside the hippy kids are very entertaining.

Brusin Ales is the best beer store. Possibly the best in NC. Honorable mention goes to Hops & Vines because they are a very good beer store and they sell homebrew supplies as well.

Gabe.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    Casa Maida has on tap a Pilsner and a double IPA. In bottles I have a Belgian Dubble, Tripel and a Scotch ale. In my reserve kegs I have an American wheat, a German Hefeweizen, a Belgian Saison and a German Weizenbock. Sunday I'm making a clone of Stone Levitation. But sorry folks all of that is for personal consumption

The beer scene is in Asheville. The Wedge is a great brew pub with outdoor beer garden and a real taste of the Asheville vibe. All the other breweries have tasting rooms, Highland, Greenman, Craggie, LAB, Pisgah (in Black Mtn), French Broad, ABC, etc...

The best beer bar is the Thirsty Monk. It's no contest. Barley's is a distant second. The Asheville Hanna Flanagons (not the one in Hendo) also has a great selection but it too crowded and smoky for me. Mellow mushroom also has great beer and if you sit outside the hippy kids are very entertaining.

Brusin Ales is the best beer store. Possibly the best in NC. Honorable mention goes to Hops & Vines because they are a very good beer store and they sell homebrew supplies as well.
    Now I'm thirsty, time to head out and drink some of dat................thanks Maida!
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

mtbr member

the food aspect....

12 Bones is the best bbq/ribs place around and they always have 5 local brews on tap. you can get $2 10 oz (8 oz, maybe, I forget) tastes ! The location in Arden (near-ish the airport and thus closer to Pisgah trails anyway) is open on Saturday til 4. Downtown only open for lunch during the week.

Admiral is the best place in Asheville for dinner. Not fancy atmosphere, but fancy food and not super-cheap. They have only 1 beer on tap, but it's (usually) the Wedge IPA.

Maida, where is Brusin Ales? I was disappointed in the selection at the place on Patton. They said most of the local breweries don't distribute very much, if any, in bottles (only growlers and kegs) Is that true?

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    12 Bones is the best bbq/ribs place around and they always have 5 local brews on tap. you can get $2 10 oz (8 oz, maybe, I forget) tastes ! The location in Arden (near-ish the airport and thus closer to Pisgah trails anyway) is open on Saturday til 4. Downtown only open for lunch during the week.

Admiral is the best place in Asheville for dinner. Not fancy atmosphere, but fancy food and not super-cheap. They have only 1 beer on tap, but it's (usually) the Wedge IPA.

Maida, where is Brusin Ales? I was disappointed in the selection at the place on Patton. They said most of the local breweries don't distribute very much, if any, in bottles (only growlers and kegs) Is that true?
    Brusin Ales info

A bottling line easily is a million (or much more) dollar investment. Only Highlands has invested in a real bottling line. The other breweries are filling bottles by hand. It's very labor intensive and it really limits what they can do. Only highland has 6 packs and you can get them in any supermarket. Pisgah has some special beers in bombers and the regular stuff in growlers. ABC and french broad have bombers. Most of the local bottled beer can be found at the snooty supermarkets like earthfare and greenlife.

What makes the beer shops like brusin ales special is not the local beers. It's the stuff they have from other parts of the world. If it can be distributed into our area they will have it. Hops & Vines does not have as much as Brusin Ales but what they do have is very good stuff. Lots of Belgian beer and some of the best from America. Alex really knows beer and he only stocks the stuff he thinks is worth it. Brusin ales goes a step further and will stock anything they can get their hands on. All the standard run + all the limited release stuff that you won't find at a normal beer store.

mtbr member
    I always comment in beer and food threads. Go figure.

- Maida, no smoking inside anywhere anymore. So, that probably is not a big deal at Hannah's anymore...

-I have yet to have a tolerable Craggie beer, let alone a good one. But, different strokes for different folks.

- LAB beer is tolerable, not good, IME. Fun scene.

- Another great bar/food combination is Universal Joint in West Asheville. Westville Pub is also good.

- Thirsty Monk is great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    I

-I have yet to have a tolerable Craggie beer, let alone a good one. But, different strokes for different folks.

have you had this from Craggie?

Antebellum Ale: An 1840ís American Ale
    An 1840ís American recipe using water, yeast, molasses, ginger and spruce tips. The ingredients from the historical drink have been adapted into a flavorful modern day beer incorporating malt and hops. ABV 5.0%

GAAHghHHH I cannot type out how appalling this was. (i wasn't fool enough to order it, it came in a flight at Pack's Tavern) It's like they were TRYING to make it suck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I second everything in all of the threads above.

Sincerely,

Joe

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I will now try to think of questions concerning where to ride, oh and what bike to bring.....

Members who have read this thread: 0