Beech Super-D

Printable View

• 05-24-2011
    stackout
    Beech Super-D
    Thanks a ton to MotoMike and his crew for putting in a rad new line on Saturday, including some very impressive rock work. Me and the Mountain Hounds got out there today and flagged a connector from where they left off down into West Bowl. Here is a rough map of the trail - lots of work to be done (berms on the old "Super-G" trail, new lines around the eroded sections of the old West Bowl road), so post up if you can chip in, or just if you need instructions on where best to set a shuttle.

http://beechmtb.com/wp-content/uploa...05/super-d.pdf
  • 05-24-2011
    plume
    super d race in the future?
  • 05-24-2011
    WickedGood
    Yeah like 3 weeks from now........
  • 05-25-2011
    stackout
    June 18 details at www.beechmtb.com
  • 05-25-2011
    Senor StrongBad
    If i wanted to come up from SC for a weekend of riding, where would be the best and cheapest place to stay?
  • 05-25-2011
    RDTigger
    Why does great riding opportunities have to be so far away! ugh
  • 05-25-2011
    stackout
    As soon as I get a lodging sponsor, I'll let you know....

That said, hotel/condo/cabin rates on Beech are really cheap.
  • 05-29-2011
    stackout
    After 8 hours of labor, the Super D, while far from done, is ridable.

To get there:
    Check out www.beechmtb.com/maps
    Take the Backbone trail (nasty steep gravel road climb) uphill past Grassy Road 2 and Elk River Overlook trails.
    The start line is the top of the hill.
    Follow Backbone into the woods
    Take your first right onto singletrack (Chamberlains Loop)
    Singletrack dumps onto Grassy Road 2
    Turn right and climb slightly to intersection and turn left
    At sign for Powerline Dropout turn left on berm onto singletrack
    Pass first trailhead on left (that is the outbound XC extension)
    About 10m later, bear left on next trailhead (you are now on following the inbound XC extension backwards)
    Right now, the only clear trail is the Super-D. However, if you see a fork in the trail, stay right.
    When the pitch really drops off, you will see Moto et al's rock work. Everything after that is tread I cut today. Eventually, you will cross the power lines - look for the orange tape at the far side - when you get across there is a pretty big log, which I was not strong enough to chop through today. Follow the trail through the wood and it will kick out on the old Super-G trail. I did a little root work, and flagged out some but S-Turns, but right now is very steep and pretty eroded, so use caution. Follow that to the bottom, and then take a left on West Bowl trail, follow that to the end, go straight into the sandy lunar landscape about 100m and take a right, that old jeep road will take you to the intersection of Beech Mountain Parkway (the very steep climb), Woodcreek Ln, and Buckeye Ridge (which the locals call Chestnut Falls). The finish line will be thereabouts.