Beech or Sugar?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Beech or Sugar?

mtbr member
    May 2013

Beech or Sugar?

Going to spend a day in the high country next month with the wife and want to hit a park but not sure which one. Looks like both have done good work with their trails for this season.

I am good with black runs and my wife is more intermediate/blue but also likes groomed smooth stuff as well.

Which park has more variety and runs, etc? I watched some vids of both parks, but want to here from those who have ridden both this year.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I like beech, theyve done a lot of good new builds there over last couple years

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pryde1 View Post
    Going to spend a day in the high country next month with the wife and want to hit a park but not sure which one. Looks like both have done good work with their trails for this season.

I am good with black runs and my wife is more intermediate/blue but also likes groomed smooth stuff as well.

Which park has more variety and runs, etc? I watched some vids of both parks, but want to here from those who have ridden both this year.

Thanks
    Honestly you can't go wrong at either resort. Both parks have invested in infrastructure including new trails and bike carriers. It really depends on what you are looking for. Sugar has a little more vertical feet (Sugar-1000ft, Beech 845), but Beech has more things to do in addition to Mtn Biking. Both parks have Green and Blue terrain. That being said, they are still gravity parks. I see a lot of people that come to both parks expecting the Green trails to be paved greenways. You would be comfortable and safe on at least 150mm travel trail bikes. Both parks have steep parts that videos don't really do justice conveying. Both parks offer lessons and guided rides as well. I work at both resorts so I'm not biased either way, they are both a lot of fun to ride. Both parks will be open the entire week of fourth of July as well.

-Sugar-
    -1000 ft of vert
    -10-12 min lift ride
    -Trails for all skill levels
    -National level Black DH track
    -You might want to bring your lunch if you don't want to drive to Banner Elk for dining
    -Bike rentals and limited service shop on site through Magic cycles
    -Close to a full service shop (they can service most things if you have a problem) at the base of Sugar (Headquarters Bike and Outdoors, I would got there over Magic)

Beech-
    -840 ft of vert
    -13.5 min lift ride
    -Neighboring XC trail system if the wife isn't feeling the park
    -Summer tubing and roller skating if you need something for kids to do
    -Food and beverage on site
    -Brewery at base and Skybar at the summit
    -Live music every Saturday at the Skybar at 2:30
    -Full service shop on site
    -Yoga every Saturday at 10:00am at the Skybar if the lady isn't feeling riding all day.

mtbr member
    Yoga and being able to mix in some XC trails are a bonus for non-ladies (like me) too...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    Yoga and being able to mix in some XC trails are a bonus for non-ladies (like me) too...
    Very true, we have been getting more bros interested in Yoga for sure.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I started doing yoga at home pretty regularly 10-11 years ago, it's really helped my riding- I control my breath better, especially while descending, it's amazing how much looser you can hit the hard stuff when you aren't subconsciously holding your breath. It's also upper body training and stretching I actually enjoy.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    Honestly you can't go wrong at either resort. Both parks have invested in infrastructure including new trails and bike carriers. It really depends on what you are looking for. Sugar has a little more vertical feet (Sugar-1000ft, Beech 845), but Beech has more things to do in addition to Mtn Biking. Both parks have Green and Blue terrain. That being said, they are still gravity parks. I see a lot of people that come to both parks expecting the Green trails to be paved greenways. You would be comfortable and safe on at least 150mm travel trail bikes. Both parks have steep parts that videos don't really do justice conveying. Both parks offer lessons and guided rides as well. I work at both resorts so I'm not biased either way, they are both a lot of fun to ride. Both parks will be open the entire week of fourth of July as well.

-Sugar-
    -1000 ft of vert
    -10-12 min lift ride
    -You might want to bring your lunch if you don't want to drive to Banner Elk for dining
    -Bike rentals and limited service shop on site through Magic cycles
    -Close to a full service shop (they can service most things if you have a problem) at the base of Sugar (Headquarters Bike and Outdoors, I would got there over Magic)

Beech-
    -840 ft of vert
    -13.5 min lift ride
    -Neighboring XC trail system if the wife isn't feeling the park
    -Summer tubing and roller skating if you need something for kids to do
    -Food and beverage on site
    -Brewery at base and Skybar at the summit
    -Live music every Saturday at the Skybar at 2:30
    -Full service shop on site
    -Yoga every Saturday at 10:00am at the Skybar if the lady isn't feeling riding all day.
    Thanks for the breakdown of the parks Brad. We have ridden several out west so we are comfortable with park riding in general.

I think we will give Beech a go this round (food and brewery onsite=win). When we get back up that way next we can try out Sugar.

We may try to ride Rocky Knob for some trail/xc Sunday morning before heading back down here to Brevard. Should be a hoot!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    Yeah, I started doing yoga at home pretty regularly 10-11 years ago, it's really helped my riding- I control my breath better, especially while descending, it's amazing how much looser you can hit the hard stuff when you aren't subconsciously holding your breath. It's also upper body training and stretching I actually enjoy.
    That's one of the first things I teach beginner riders. They hold their breath, arms get pumped out after 1 run, then they immediately sit down and drop a foot. Yoga is definitely great for breathing and core strength. I learned skip breathing when I was a firefighter. It helped me when I was still racing a little.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pryde1 View Post
    Thanks for the breakdown of the parks Brad. We have ridden several out west so we are comfortable with park riding in general.

I think we will give Beech a go this round (food and brewery onsite=win). When we get back up that way next we can try out Sugar.

We may try to ride Rocky Knob for some trail/xc Sunday morning before heading back down here to Brevard. Should be a hoot!
    Rocky Knob is awesome and I'm sure you will enjoy it. If you aren't staying in Boone it's in the opposite direction of Brevard so definitely have Emerald Outback on your radar. If you are staying on Beech (which I highly recommend), Emerald is easily accessible from anywhere on the Town Hall side (cheap air b&bs are plentiful. Check the Pinnacle and Holiday Villas). If you are coming up during 4th of July week I would plan to drive as little as possible. Hwy 105, 184, and 194 can be parking lots around the 4th.