Beech Mountain Trail Days- Mtbr.com
    Pirate Race Productions
    Apr 2005

Beech Mountain Trail Days

Come help grow the Beech Mountain Adventure Trail Park! There is already 6+ miles of FUN, ROLLING, SINGLETRACK (no big climbs), we are adding a 3+ mile extension, building a long, flowing Super-D trail down the back side of the mountain, and FINALLY creating a ridable climb from the West Bowl back to the summit. Its the best place around to ride mid-summer, when temperatures up there are nice and cool. There will be three trail days this spring, and if we get a good turnout, we could have TWENTY MILES OF SIGNED SINGLE TRACK THIS SUMMER! So mark your calendar, grab some gloves (and you bike) and come on up.

Saturday, March 26
    Saturday, April 9
    Sunday, May 8

More details as we get closer. If you want to learn more, or have time to come help out mid-week, post up.

arbiter
    Aug 2005
    Free work on private land? I love Sharecropping!

Will this be open to the public year 'round? Lift access? Cost?
    I-9 drone, unauthorized jerk.

Pirate Race Productions
    Apr 2005
    This is all free public access open year round.

The land is a mix of private and public, but the landowners have all signed recreational use easements so the trails are under town control.

To clarify, this is in no way affiliated with Ski Beech and the DH stuff they are working on.

There is year-round access, but 4 or 5 months a year you better bring your xc skis or snowshoes.

All the details are on the facebook group under the "info" tab here:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129374807082146

Pirate Race Productions
    Apr 2005
    We'll be back out Monday morning with the Town of Beech guys to clean up the existing trail and inventory places that need improvement, and on Thursday morning will get to work clearing the new right of ways.

I mapped some of the existing trail in the West Bowl yesterday. There is another line to the West of New Branch Creek that I need to map. Once we get his stuff better tied into the trails above the power lines, and then extend it down to Buckeye Creek through Eagles Nest its going to be epic.

Here is a map, which include my ride from the Buckeye Rec Center to the top of Beech via Grassy Gap Creek trail.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/305888

mtbr member
    This is awesome news. Pumped about it. Will this be part of the XC race in June (southern classic series)?

Pirate Race Productions
    Apr 2005
    Hellz ya it will be. Actually, to be specific, the Super-D, Short Track and XC will all be AMBC races. Only the XC will count toward the Southern Classic. It will also be part of the Mile High 6/9HR on July 30.

mtbr member
    Sweet! Tell me more about the trails. Lots of climbing in the XC course? Is either course super gnar or are they pretty flowy? What bikes best on the Super D - 6 inch? Is there much climbing on the super D? I wish I had time to come up and help y'all out on trail days. Lifes tough with a fairly new kid though.

Pirate Race Productions
    Apr 2005
    Not a ton of climbing - the course undulates between 4800 and 5300 feet. It's not super gnar, but right now it's a lot more "raw" than a really groomed trail like Dark Mtn, however, there will be a ton of tread work this spring. I think a dually will be faster than a hardtail on the xc course, but the really really fast kids will smoke it on niners. If we do the super d right, I'd like an off the shelf trail bike be ideal, but for it still to be fun on a hardtail or a bigger bike. Again, dudes like Prillamen or YT will probably destroy on an old 26" hardtail with a blown fork. There are some topos posted above, and we'll shoot some helmet cam vids as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stackout
    on the xc course, but the really really fast kids will smoke it on niners.
    you mentioned me? stack i think i'm only really fast compared to you. seriously though, the trail(s) are great. i live in boone and spent numerous days off last year heading to beech when i could ride:

dark mtn
    OVT
    warrior creek
    wilson creek area
    damascus, VA

just be sure to bring your arm warmers (in june). the xc loop is very fun on a short travel 29er. i'll be on a hardtail 29 in june for XC and STXC, and 130mm full suspension for the superD. see you soon. jg

Pirate Race Productions
    Apr 2005
    You going to Danville or do you want to roll Sunday?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Stack. Probably hit the XC with my short travel 29er and the super D with the new scratch air 9 that's on the way. I'll have to come up and ride one weekend closer to the race - I'll post up when I do and maybe we can meet up for a ride

Team Martin
    Looks like I'll have a new destination this summer while everything is melting in Columbia

Pirate Race Productions
    Apr 2005
    Thanks a ton for Trill, MotoMike, and Sapp for coming out today and figuring out a plan for the Super-D, and spying a lot of options for some much, much more agro stuff.

Here is a pretty rough map - I forget to hit start until I was a mile out on the uphill portion of the new XC loop just below the top ridge of Eagles Nest. The Super-D trail which will be the main feeder into West Bowl, will start up at about 5300 at the very peak of the existing XC loop, roughly follow the road running downhill to the north, then hit the Red dot on this map http://ridewithgps.com/routes/304261 follow it West for a mile and merge into where we mapped today http://ridewithgps.com/routes/325861 going west, until hitting the descent going north - ignore the loop to the right - all the way down to the Buckeye Ridge/Beech Mountain Parkway/Woodcreek intersection, which is about 2.75 miles with 1,300 feet drop in altitube. We should be able to drop another 500 feet over another mile or two of trail once we do some more exploring.

We will be out there Saturday all day cutting trail, and can use all the help we can get. There is housing available for volunteers, and lots of already ridable trails that you can play on afterwards.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    I will check this out!

Pirate Race Productions
    Apr 2005
    Please RSVP on Facebook so we have a rough headcount

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=137722772965078

Pirate Race Productions
    Apr 2005
    Check out all the progress and at www.beechmtb.com/maps

Pirate Race Productions
    Apr 2005
    Next trail day is April 9

Pirate Race Productions
    Apr 2005
    We are back at it building out trail this Saturday, so come on up. I got in two laps in either direction on the existing Emerald Outback loop Sunday afternoon, and despite the snow above 5100 feet and the whole place being soaked, it rode great (albeit at 5mph). Post up if you can make it so we can get a rough headcount and plan accordingly.

Members who have read this thread: 0