Beech Mountain/Lees-McRae Downhill and Dual Slalom #3- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Beech Mountain/Lees-McRae Downhill and Dual Slalom #3

Get ready for what's looking to be the longest track of the year for Beech Mountain's downhill! Starting from rider's left of the White Lightning lift crossing all the way back to the woods between Robin's Run and Upper Shawneehaw all the way across the mountain, and coming back to finish down in the Freestyle area! There will be some high speed and even more new challenges. Be ready to expect some re-working of the Dual Slalom track as well. That's looking to become a little more challenging and having a few more options for racers to pick how they want to hit something...just imagine having 2 or 3 ways to ride what you only has 1 or 2 before...many options will be opened!

I tried to put together a sort of map so you can get an idea of the newest track!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beech Mountain/Lees-McRae Downhill and Dual Slalom #3-dh-series-finals-track-map-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nice. Is this open during the week / weekends? Or is this simply for races?

Never been and would love to give the mtn a ride. :-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    its only available during races as of now...the next one is sept 11th visit www.skibeech.com for details

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    Is there any access to top by car... Maybe we could do some shuttle runs?
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Beech is private property, so any riding on the resort grounds must be done during scheduled races, otherwise you're trespassing. The mountain is routinely patrolled and the Beech Mountain Police Dept which is extremely strict about the trespassing rules.

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    Any plans in opening up for cyclist in the summer months next year?

They have the "local" (from Atlanta to Charlotte) population begging for a Chair accessible bike park. With no snow blowing required to run up costs, surely they could get enough demand to have at-least weekend operations.

I mean they are paying a limited staff for maintenance right during the summer? And they are paying property taxes and utilities year round but only using the place 3 months out of the year. If they just got enough to cover wages anything above that would go directly to the bottom line.

Same concept as a convenience store being open 24/7. The major expenses are there weather or not the store is open so why not get those few extra sells?
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

mtbr member
    Most resorts purchase electricity in blocks (with the exception of App, they are on peak/demand power) starting late November and running through February. So the cost of running lifts in the summer are more expensive than you think. Plus the cost of operations, insurance, maintenance, workman's comp, payroll, etc...you get the idea. I would be surprised if they broke even on a race day. The owners of any resort up here couldn't care less about mtn biking or the possibility of making a small profit off of it. Just the way it is in the southeast...probably stay this way for a long time/indefinitely unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Grrr... lame. Would like to ride that place...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by slvrathlon
    Grrr... lame. Would like to ride that place...
    The best thing you can do is come out to the race and enter. The more people at the races the better chance things have of opening up beyond the race scene. It's supply and demand, resorts don't see tangible demand until people come out to the venue on the occations that its open. If attendance goes from 80 to 100 thats good, but if we could make it happen that it goes from 80 to 200 thats huge and will definately help open more eyes up to the possibility of things opening beyond the racing scene.

Just that we've been opening up more than one trail at the mountain is a big step, after the sept 11th event there will be three runs open, we just need to boost attendance even further to show that this is the place to ride and that people are going to come.

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by beechmtndh
    Just that we've been opening up more than one trail at the mountain is a big step, after the sept 11th event there will be three runs open, we just need to boost attendance even further to show that this is the place to ride and that people are going to come.
    Do you have a OVERWEIGHT, OUT-of-SHAPE, n00b Class?
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Thing is I love to ride but I could give 2 shits about racing

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Exactly... I would like to shred the gnar! But really could care less about being in a race... maybe the park should open to the public on specific weekends / weeks. Maybe not all summer?

Who knows... but if you make it, they will come.

mtbr member
    Who knows... but if you make it, they will come.
    X2......
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    But really could care less about being in a race... maybe the park should open to the public on specific weekends / weeks. Maybe not all summer?
    Motor-sports parks have "Track Days" were racers and non-racers can use the course to practice or just have fun.

Maybe the weekend before a race, having the course open to racers and Non-racers alike for a fee (of course).

This way local racers could get a little extra practice on the course and all the non-racers could enjoy the course for a weekend without having to bore spectators with our slow runs.

I am half temped to go sign up for the race but knowing how the events run, I don't want to "waste" my money just to do a couple of practice runs and a qualifier.
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    We've been working on a possibility of a open day but nothing is really rolling as of yet.

You can show up to the race, ride as long as the lift runs and then do a "race run" that is your i'm too tired but going down the taped trail run and get your fill of runs. Our race fee isn't much more than a standard lift pass at most resorts. Snow Shoe is $39, Diablo is $38...Online registration for the Beech Mountain Downhill is $40

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    Ok so I might be able to use the race as an "Open Day"?

What sort of equipment is required? Do I need pads?
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

mtbr member
    probably a good idea, along with a full face helmet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FatNoob
    Ok so I might be able to use the race as an "Open Day"?

What sort of equipment is required? Do I need pads?
    The only requirement is a helmet, however I'll highly recommend a full face helmet, gloves, knee and shin guards. Pressure suits are always a plus, but that depends on your comfort/style.

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    Any local (asheville) shops stock Full face Helmets and guards?
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

A few pics

More shots coming soon!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beech Mountain/Lees-McRae Downhill and Dual Slalom #3-beech_mountain_03.jpg  

Beech Mountain/Lees-McRae Downhill and Dual Slalom #3-beech-mountain-06.jpg  

Beech Mountain/Lees-McRae Downhill and Dual Slalom #3-beech_mountain_04.jpg  

Beech Mountain/Lees-McRae Downhill and Dual Slalom #3-beech_mountain_05.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

registration is live!!

preregistration is live at http://www.bikereg.com/events/regist...?eventid=11673!!!

lift tickets available for $10!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=11673

spec4life???..smh...
    Ill be there but just to support one of the guys on my team...Ill be racing the cross country race that morning at lees mcrae...

mtbr member
    Sugar Mountain has lift rides in the Summer.

Unfortunately, it ended last weekend.

http://www.skisugar.com/liftrides/
    Zippity do dah...

mtbr member
    Don't forget about Oktoberfest, we run the lifts Oct 9th and 10th. I will make sure to have the leaves blown off the trails. See you guys this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Anyone know how much a single day UCI license is for the Cat2/3 racers?

mtbr member
    cat 2/3 is $5

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    All Racer Will Be Recieving An Event T-shirt And We'll Have A Grill Running For Lunch!

spec4life???..smh...
    do you know if they are going to keep the collegiate racers separate or just put them all together...my team is out of lee mcrae's conference...

Happy, in the woods.
    Nov 2008
    What was up with bumping the race start time an hour earlier without telling folks? The USAC guy said the mountain made them do it, but its a total crock either way. Lots of collegiate racers had an xc race earlier that day and were not able to get a single run in before it was race time. Who was running the show for Beech, that cigarette smoking fat drunk guy driving around like an idiot on the four wheeler? Or was he only the lift operator?
    Abba Zaba, you my only friend....

spec4life???..smh...
    Saturday was miserable...I finished up the my Xc race by about 12AM and headed up the mountain but conditions were bad...one of the guys on my team went down and broke his finger

We ended up packin it in early and headin home so us and our bikes could race dual s today..

Members who have read this thread: 0