Beech Mountain Bike Park plan this summer?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Beech Mountain Bike Park plan this summer?

Anyone in the know of Beech's plan this summer for shuttling riders to the top while they put up the lifts? Is that expected to be all summer?

https://www.beechmountainresort.com/...irlifts-begin/

Am I wrong to view this as an overall negative for the bike park? The old lift was (semi) high speed. The new one is not....I love Beech but not excited for a shuttle and then a slower lift.....thoughts?

Still no talk of Sugar Mtn putting a (more defined) park in??

Thx

mtbr member
    There will be bikes! We (Beech) just took delivery of our bike fleet. We have a mix of DH and Enduro bikes, 38 all together. As far as the lifts go the old lift 5 ran at 350 fpm in the summer. The new lift while a fixed grip, will run at a similar speed. A reliable lift system for the next 30 years is a huge positive, not a negative thing! We will be relying on a shuttle system for this summer season. We are still working out logistics, but think something similar to Windrock and Bailey. Sugar is also planning on opening old trails (I work there as well). They are still working out the logistics so keep an eye out for press releases.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    There will be bikes! We (Beech) just took delivery of our bike fleet. We have a mix of DH and Enduro bikes, 38 all together. As far as the lifts go the old lift 5 ran at 350 fpm in the summer. The new lift while a fixed grip, will run at a similar speed. A reliable lift system for the next 30 years is a huge positive, not a negative thing! We will be relying on a shuttle system for this summer season. We are still working out logistics, but think something similar to Windrock and Bailey. Sugar is also planning on opening old trails (I work there as well). They are still working out the logistics so keep an eye out for press releases.
    Thanks Brad! Sugar going add trays for that nice new lift? Man it would be awesome to have 2 parks right there...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Any idea how much work was done towards the new trails at Beech?

I know the master plan they posted a year or so ago had a lot of new trails and I seem to recall one slated for opening this season, but I was curious with the weather this year, how much they were actually able to accomplish.

My facial surgeon and dentist will be really excited about Sugar opening up again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dba4life View Post
    Thanks Brad! Sugar going add trays for that nice new lift? Man it would be awesome to have 2 parks right there...
    I can't say anymore about Sugar's plans since they haven't officially announced their plans. I will say that last year they loaded bikes into the service chair. I am sure they will release more info soon. Both resorts are still in winter mode so be patient. There is a lot more to operations than just flipping a switch from winter to summer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    Any idea how much work was done towards the new trails at Beech?

I know the master plan they posted a year or so ago had a lot of new trails and I seem to recall one slated for opening this season, but I was curious with the weather this year, how much they were actually able to accomplish.

My facial surgeon and dentist will be really excited about Sugar opening up again.
    Elevated Trail Designs is still under contract so keep an eye on social media and press releases.

mtbr member
    For those of you interested:

I met with Gary and Heidi Holboy at Sea Otter last week while I was there wrenching and coaching. They own a company called Huckwagons. They make superior quality trailers. They were kind enough to take the time to meet with me and discuss our needs at Beech Mtn Bike Park. We negotiated a deal and we are excited to have 3 Huckwagons! Obviously we will be shuttle only this summer so we wanted to source the best product possible. The trailers are awesome and we think you guys will love them! We will have a press release soon detailing more exciting news about our summer operations for this summer and the near future. Make sure to check out the trailers at

Huckwagons Mountain Bike Shuttle Trailers
    Beech Mountain Bike Park plan this summer?-huckwagon8to12image07.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    For those of you interested:

I met with Gary and Heidi Holboy at Sea Otter last week while I was there wrenching and coaching. They own a company called Huckwagons. They make superior quality trailers. They were kind enough to take the time to meet with me and discuss our needs at Beech Mtn Bike Park. We negotiated a deal and we are excited to have 3 Huckwagons! Obviously we will be shuttle only this summer so we wanted to source the best product possible. The trailers are awesome and we think you guys will love them! We will have a press release soon detailing more exciting news about our summer operations for this summer and the near future. Make sure to check out the trailers at

Huckwagons Mountain Bike Shuttle Trailers
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	huckwagon8to12Image07.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	313.4 KB 
ID:	1195143
    Thanks for the updates Brad, please keep them coming.

Has anything about Sugar's plans besides this release become "known"?
    Sugar Mountain Ski Resort Energizes its Mountain Bike Park - Sugar Mountain Resort

Sounds very promising!

mtbr member
    I don't want to be disrespectful and overstep my bounds about what is going on at Sugar. Trail work is going well. The main objective for them now is tuning up what's left of the DH trail (several sections were destroyed due to lift construction). For now it's mostly been hand work.

Going back to Beech I just want to reiterate that our shuttle system is temporary. We will be shuttling this summer due to lifts not being completed until September/October. However, we have proper Dopplemayer trays on order for the new lift. We plan on keeping at least two of the Huckwagons for busy days, races, events etc. If you didn't catch it on social media: Elevated Trail Designs is on site getting everything tuned up for summer season. As promised there will be bikes! The best thing we can do as a riding community is come out and support both parks. It's going to be a great summer! See you on the trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I don't want to be disrespectful and overstep my bounds about what is going on at Sugar. Trail work is going well. The main objective for them now is tuning up what's left of the DH trail (several sections were destroyed due to lift construction). For now it's mostly been hand work.

Going back to Beech I just want to reiterate that our shuttle system is temporary. We will be shuttling this summer due to lifts not being completed until September/October. However, we have proper Dopplemayer trays on order for the new lift. We plan on keeping at least two of the Huckwagons for busy days, races, events etc. If you didn't catch it on social media: Elevated Trail Designs is on site getting everything tuned up for summer season. As promised there will be bikes! The best thing we can do as a riding community is come out and support both parks. It's going to be a great summer! See you on the trails.

The updates are most appreciated Brad. Sounds like things are really shaping up. How many huckwagons did Beech procure for this summer? Three?

mtbr member
    That's correct we got three. I just talked to Gary at Huckwagons yesterday and they are being fabricated as we speak. The first one is in the powder coating stage. Elevated Trail Design has been on site for a week tuning everything up. With ETD's help we are adding a new beginner area lower on the mountain. All of our instructing is now in house so this will give beginner riders access to easier terrain to progress on with our instructors. We have an exciting partnership to announce so keep an eye out for announcements.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Are there any plans to tie in the emerald trails with the bike park? I haven't actually ever been up there so I don't know the distance between them. They might already be connected somehow for all I know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-track-mind View Post
    Are there any plans to tie in the emerald trails with the bike park? I haven't actually ever been up there so I don't know the distance between them. They might already be connected somehow for all I know.
    Emerald Outback and Beech Mountain Resort are two different trail systems. There is no lift access for Emerald Outback but you can access that system through Beech Mountain Resort property. Beech Mountain doesn't own the land that Emerald Outback is on. Emerald Outback is managed and funded through the town of Beech Mountain. Emerald Outback is more xc oriented and suitable on any bike. The trails within Beech Mountain Resort Bike Park are more gravity oriented, require a lift pass, and are best suitable on a mid travel full suspension bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks Brad. What is the cost of a lift pass and are emtb allowed in both places? If so it might be advantageous to get the word out. I could see Banner Elk turning into an e-mtb hub...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-track-mind View Post
    Thanks Brad. What is the cost of a lift pass and are emtb allowed in both places? If so it might be advantageous to get the word out. I could see Banner Elk turning into an e-mtb hub...
    Cost for all day shuttle pass is $35. For a trail map and other info check us out at https://www.beechmountainresort.com/...untain-biking/

Excellent question regarding E-bikes. It's actually a hot topic of discussion between our attorney and I. A decision has not been made yet but we will make sure to update the trail info as soon as we reach a decision. As far as E-bikes in Emerald I would have to ask the Parks and Recs Department for the town of Beech. I'm not sure if Sugar has decided one way or another either. E-mtbs are still pretty new in the grand scheme of things and have yet to be embraced as far as resorts go. Most of that is due to antiquated insurance policies.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Cost for all day shuttle pass is $35. For a trail map and other info check us out at https://www.beechmountainresort.com/...untain-biking/

Excellent question regarding E-bikes. It's actually a hot topic of discussion between our attorney and I. A decision has not been made yet but we will make sure to update the trail info as soon as we reach a decision. As far as E-bikes in Emerald I would have to ask the Parks and Recs Department for the town of Beech. I'm not sure if Sugar has decided one way or another either. E-mtbs are still pretty new in the grand scheme of things and have yet to be embraced as far as resorts go. Most of that is due to antiquated insurance policies.
    Gotcha. Since Asheville/Brevard are a top mtb destination and do not want anything to do with them, I think a nearby alternative in the mountains has great potential. i think you need everyone onboard, promoting an e-bike friendly environment and having a weekend worth of riding, to really make it work.
    Granted, there are other privately-owned trail systems nearby, but I don't see those opening up.
    Friends of DuPont supporter

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Also wondering if the Huckwagons are only a stop gap, one year thing or will they be used from here on out ? If your attorney needs to see an e-mtb to gain clarity,let me know and I'll bring mine over.

mtbr member
    Our Huckwagons will only be our primary source of uplift for one season. Both of the new lifts will be completed before the snow flies. We will also have proper Dopplemayer bike trays on the main lift for the 2019 summer season. We plan on keeping two for busy days and for events. Our attorney is very in touch with the industry. We appreciate the offer on the E-bike, he's seen the main ones that are available.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Well, good luck. Hope you have a prosperous season and keep us posted on any new developments.

mtbr member
    Update regarding PEDAL ASSIST E-bikes:

Town of Beech Mountain (Emerald Outback)- YES
    Beech Mountain Resort Bike Park- NO

On that note lets try to keep this thread focused on the Beech Mountain Resort Bike Park to avoid any confusion between the trail systems.

DFL
    This is all great news. I am coming out there the last weekend in June with my son to ride Rocky Knob and Beech.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by askibum02 View Post
    This is all great news. I am coming out there the last weekend in June with my son to ride Rocky Knob and Beech.
    That's a great time to come visit. It will be busy but you should have plenty of time to ride. Both Rocky Knob and Beech Mtn Bike Park have trails for all skill levels. See you on the trails!

mtbr member
    My Plan? Get used to the new bike; finish getting my gear; then find a way to Beech MTN; rent a Glory 2 and do a DH Race.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragracer88 View Post
    My Plan? Get used to the new bike; finish getting my gear; then find a way to Beech MTN; rent a Glory 2 and do a DH Race.
    Now that sounds like a plan! We (Beech Mtn Resort) have our own rentals on site including DH bikes if transporting bikes is an issue for you. We also offer lessons which might help you get up to speed quicker. We will be hosting the Downhill Southeast Series Round 4 on June 23 and 24th. We will also be hosting the Downhill Southeast Enduro Round 1 August 26th. Both races are a lot of fun so we hope you can make it!

mtbr member
    Does the dh we series in late June require a UIC or USAC racing license? Also, I missed my chance to get an 100 dollar donation from 127.0. More in pm brad.

mtbr member
    Does the dh we series in late June require a UIC or USAC racing license? Also, I missed my chance to get an 100 dollar donation from 127.0. More in pm brad.
    Bummer on the donation! To answer your question about licensing you do not need a UCI or USAC license. Both races are unsanctioned.

mtbr member
    Will be trying to find somewhere to practice dh runs after June 3rd. Rocky Knobs Rocky Branch return is too sketchy for me. Too narrow and technical with a fork and a tree in one spot of the return. Definitely adds seconds to my Rocky Branch practice runs when I have to slow down because of the fork.

mtbr member
    It gets narrow in that spot for sure!

DFL
    That's a great time to come visit. It will be busy but you should have plenty of time to ride. Both Rocky Knob and Beech Mtn Bike Park have trails for all skill levels. See you on the trails!
    I just saw that Beech will be hosting it's annual hog roast on June 30th, is it going to be ridiculously busy because of that? If it is I might reschedule.

mtbr member
    I just saw that Beech will be hosting it's annual hog roast on June 30th, is it going to be ridiculously busy because of that? If it is I might reschedule.
    Good question. It does get pretty busy but it's not bad. It's a good time for sure.

mtbr member
    Askibum, you should come to the dh event. June 23rd to 24th.

mtbr member
    Also the hog roast is through the chamber of commerce. It doesn't actually take place on resort property. So to reiterate: Beech Mountain Resort and Town of Beech Mountain are two separate entities.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Does anyone know if Beech will be open to the public (non-racers) on June 23rd (during practice for the DH event)?
    We have planned a trip to the area and were hoping to ride Beech on the 23rd, but if the whole black DH line will be closed or if it will be so crowded we only get a few runs in we may go elsewhere.

If open to the public will all trails still be accessible and how crowded is it usually the day before a race?

edit: also it looks like sugar will not be open until the weekend after... gahhh. Any chance we would be able to ride the trails there one week early?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I would stay away, especially since they are shuttling riders this year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoot7 View Post
    Does anyone know if Beech will be open to the public (non-racers) on June 23rd (during practice for the DH event)?
    We have planned a trip to the area and were hoping to ride Beech on the 23rd, but if the whole black DH line will be closed or if it will be so crowded we only get a few runs in we may go elsewhere.

If open to the public will all trails still be accessible and how crowded is it usually the day before a race?

edit: also it looks like sugar will not be open until the weekend after... gahhh. Any chance we would be able to ride the trails there one week early?
    It will be pretty busy on that Saturday and Sunday. We only have two races scheduled all season and that weekend is one of them. I would try to come up on a different weekend if your schedule allows.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    I would stay away, especially since they are shuttling riders this year.
    Because shuttling doesn't work!? Have you seen our shuttles? I would recommend checking out our website at the very least before telling people to "stay away". We are still 100% committed to summer season and biking. Shuttling works for Bailey and Windrock. Our shuttle time is 12-14 minutes and that's with me driving really slow. The lift ride time for the old lift #5 (quad) was 10 minutes. We have sourced the best bike trailers on the market and are investing in not 1 but 2 new lifts. The replacement for lift #5 will be equipped with Dopplemayer bike trays similar to snowshoe. So come out and support Beech Bike Park!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    It will be pretty busy on that Saturday and Sunday. We only have two races scheduled all season and that weekend is one of them. I would try to come up on a different weekend if your schedule allows.
    Ok will do, we still plan on hitting Beech again at some point this year so we will just come back another weekend. Any idea on how ride able the Sugar trails will be the week before opening day? I assume the lifts will be stopped but in the past we have shuttled it with good results. With the new construction I am just unsure of if it will be frowned upon to shuttle it?

mtbr member
    Give the admin office a call. It's pretty wet up there now but hopefully we will get some dry weather.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Because shuttling doesn't work!? Have you seen our shuttles? I would recommend checking out our website at the very least before telling people to "stay away". We are still 100% committed to summer season and biking. Shuttling works for Bailey and Windrock. Our shuttle time is 12-14 minutes and that's with me driving really slow. The lift ride time for the old lift #5 (quad) was 10 minutes. We have sourced the best bike trailers on the market and are investing in not 1 but 2 new lifts. The replacement for lift #5 will be equipped with Dopplemayer bike trays similar to snowshoe. So come out and support Beech Bike Park!
    Wow dude, settle down. I answered the question the same way you did. In my experience in bike parks across the county those that use shuttle vehicles as opposed to chairlifts get backlogged a bit because of the batch vs continuous method. Especially on race day, which is the only day he was asking about and I suggested he not visit on that day. VISIT ANY OTHER DAY.

Folks on the NC board really have their panties in a bunch lately, must be the rain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I appreciate it guys! And yes... all of this rain has gotten everyone a little on edge I believe. I am about tired of riding greenways and gravel roads.
    See you guys up there soon! I look forward to the updates on both Beech and Sugar!

mtbr member
    Wow dude, settle down. I answered the question the same way you did. In my experience in bike parks across the county those that use shuttle vehicles as opposed to chairlifts get backlogged a bit because of the batch vs continuous method. Especially on race day, which is the only day he was asking about and I suggested he not visit on that day. VISIT ANY OTHER DAY.

Folks on the NC board really have their panties in a bunch lately, must be the rain.
    Maybe we have a failure to communicate. You said "I would stay away, especially since they are shuttling riders this year". Then you accuse me of being upset because apparently you only meant on "race day". I also responded to you in a helpful and professional manner. However you clearly said "this year"...So I was merely trying to stop the spread of misinformation. Posting on a public forum for people to "stay away" from a business based on your assumptions isn't exaclty helpful to anyone. So if you want to "stay away" that's your right as a consumer. If you change your mind we will be out riding bikes all summer, come out and join us.

mtbr member
    Hey guys here is what is open at Beech Mtn for the next couple of weeks:

Upper Black Bear
    Lower Black Bear
    Lower Blue Ridge Rocks
    Lower Burmese Python
    Lower Green Mamba
    Hellbender

Note: Upper Green Mamba and Heartbreaker will be closed for extended periods due to lift construction.

Dopplemayer is working in close proximately to the upper blue and green trails for the next couple of weeks so they will remain closed until then. We are also limiting ticket sales so we don't overload our shuttle system. Our second and third trailers are in powder coating as we speak. Until we have them on site (we get the second trailer June 10th) there will be a ticket cap. You can purchase tickets on our website www.beechmountainresort.com. I will continue to provide updates as the season progresses.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Maybe we have a failure to communicate. You said "I would stay away, especially since they are shuttling riders this year". Then you accuse me of being upset because apparently you only meant on "race day". I also responded to you in a helpful and professional manner. However you clearly said "this year"...So I was merely trying to stop the spread of misinformation. Posting on a public forum for people to "stay away" from a business based on your assumptions isn't exaclty helpful to anyone. So if you want to "stay away" that's your right as a consumer. If you change your mind we will be out riding bikes all summer, come out and join us.
    We have a failure of reading comprehension. I was answering someone's question about whether they should come visit on race weekend. Notice how its the next post below his question? Thats how a forum works. You just got trigger happy with your stopping of fake news.

I wasnt make any assumptions or providing guidance to the masses to stay away from your business. You're really blowing this out of proportion and taking things way out of context. I actually dont want to stay away, and was never my intention or communication, so I have nothing to change my mind about...the only thing that will change my mind is if you act like an asshole and keep me away.

You do realize you advise the person to not come that weekend, which is exactly what my advice was? Again, settle down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hellbender
    I don't recall that one, is it new?

mtbr member
    We have a failure of reading comprehension. I was answering someone's question about whether they should come visit on race weekend. Notice how its the next post below his question? Thats how a forum works. You just got trigger happy with your stopping of fake news.

I wasnt make any assumptions or providing guidance to the masses to stay away from your business. You're really blowing this out of proportion and taking things way out of context. I actually dont want to stay away, and was never my intention or communication, so I have nothing to change my mind about...the only thing that will change my mind is if you act like an asshole and keep me away.

You do realize you advise the person to not come that weekend, which is exactly what my advice was? Again, settle down.
    I appreciate the tutorial on how a forum works but in the future it would be helpful to others if you used the quote feature so we know exactly who you are replying to. Your comment about staying away all year could easily been misunderstood. The whole goal of this thread is to answer questions in a helpful manner. I am not sure exactly what I said or did to upset you but that is certainly not my intention. If you feel that I need to settle down because I am upset you are mistaken. Nothing you have said or done has upset me in any way. However, I am not sure how accusing me of being upset, accusing me of potentially being an a-hole, telling me to settle down etc is helping others. I am not upset nor have I been an a-hole to you or anyone on this forum. If you have anything constructive to add regarding Beech or Sugar we would love to hear it. If you are here just to be negative and insult people it's not really helpful to anyone. Feel free to contact me or talk to me personally, I'm happy to help.

mtbr member
    I don't recall that one, is it new?
    You have ridden it a hundred times at least. It's a higher speed section so it is really easy to miss the sign. It's the blue section of trail that the expert and intermediate trails filter into at the bottom where the table jump is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoot7 View Post
    I appreciate it guys! And yes... all of this rain has gotten everyone a little on edge I believe. I am about tired of riding greenways and gravel roads.
    See you guys up there soon! I look forward to the updates on both Beech and Sugar!
    Thanks for the inquiry and we look forward to making some laps with you.

mtbr member
    There is a perfectly good road you can ride to the top for free!
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

since 4/10/2009
    Notice how its the next post below his question? Thats how a forum works.
    In the old days when mtbr had threaded conversations, this strategy worked. Yes, I understand that there is a "threaded" view on the forum now, but it gets all screwed up because your response could be put in all sorts of places depending on which reply button you press. So in all practicality, it doesn't work the same.

This forum software screwed that all up. This linear reading format destroyed threaded conversations. The next post in line ONLY means that you posted chronologically after the post above you. If you want to respond to a particular post and make it clear which post you are responding to, you use the quote function. You can even trim the original quote so you can respond to a specific statement. That leaves no question whatsoever.

THAT is how a forum (in particular, THIS forum) works.

mtbr member
    Update for June 2nd:
    Beech is at capacity so no more tickets are available. This does not apply to season pass holders. There are still slots available for Sunday June 3rd.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    In the old days when mtbr had threaded conversations, this strategy worked. Yes, I understand that there is a "threaded" view on the forum now, but it gets all screwed up because your response could be put in all sorts of places depending on which reply button you press. So in all practicality, it doesn't work the same.

This forum software screwed that all up. This linear reading format destroyed threaded conversations. The next post in line ONLY means that you posted chronologically after the post above you. If you want to respond to a particular post and make it clear which post you are responding to, you use the quote function. You can even trim the original quote so you can respond to a specific statement. That leaves no question whatsoever.

OK, you guys win. Im exhausted. I really was just innocently answering someone's question trying to be helpful. Also sorry for picketing in front of beech mountain to advocate people boycott giving them business because they are using shuttles this year. I guess i'll go picket planned parenthood instead.

Did I do this one right?

mtbr member

This was the source of the misunderstanding on my end. It's all good now no worries.

mtbr member
    OK, you guys win. Im exhausted. I really was just innocently answering someone's question trying to be helpful. Also sorry for picketing in front of beech mountain to advocate people boycott giving them business because they are using shuttles this year. I guess i'll go picket planned parenthood instead.

Did I do this one right?
    It was just a simple misunderstanding. I understand your frustration but the sarcasm isn't needed.

mtbr member
    Ride report anyone? How are the trails after all the rain?

mtbr member
    Its been two days since I was there...and it rained horrioly for two hours straight here in Boone yesterday at 5. I think the track conditions will be a bit dryer, but still muddy and slick in places.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NCBigHit View Post
    Ride report anyone? How are the trails after all the rain?
    Trails were soft in places but surprisingly not too muddy. Looks like we have a much needed 5 days of dry weather. We have a trail crew that works Mon,Tues, and Wed 10 hrs a day all season making sure the trails are in great shape. Elevated Trail Design also checks in with us and does machine work when needed. You can also refer to the Trailforks app for detailed trail reports.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Planning on coming up on Fri 6/8. Based on the trail closures, is there anything blue or green open from the top down to the service road? Will the shuttle stop on the way up for access to the lower trails? Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacsavage View Post
    Planning on coming up on Fri 6/8. Based on the trail closures, is there anything blue or green open from the top down to the service road? Will the shuttle stop on the way up for access to the lower trails? Thanks for the info!
    The short answer to your questions is yes.
    -There is now an access to Burmese Python from the top
    -Upper Green Mamba will be closed for the bulk of the season
    -You can get off at Summer Road and access any of the lower trails with the exception of Heartbreaker.
    -You could also ride the shuttle to the top then ride down the road to summer road. This is what most people did last weekend.
    -Tell the shuttle driver or whoever is working the uplift line that you would like to be dropped at Summer Road. That way we can load your bike last so it's easier to get to.
    -Make sure to reserve your ticket asap. The easiest way is to purchase your slope ticket online from the main website.
    -Hope to see you out there!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    [QUOTE=Sugar_Brad;13693775]The short answer to your questions is yes.

Thank for the info! Tickets bought, see you Friday!

mtbr member
    Awesome! The weather looks fantastic. Don't hesitate to ask any of the bike shop staff or ski patrol about trail info.

mtbr member
    Tacsavage, have fun. I was there on opening day. Yes, bermese python is fun. Careful on black bear though.

DFL
    Would Beech Mtn or Sugar Mtn be better for a beginner? I want to do both when I come up out at the end of June, but my son has a hardtail so I want to rent him a FS at the park, and don't think I can swing FS rentals at both places. That's a lot of money. Can we do either one of the beginner trails on a hard tail? It's a Roscoe 8.

mtbr member
    Would Beech Mtn or Sugar Mtn be better for a beginner? I want to do both when I come up out at the end of June, but my son has a hardtail so I want to rent him a FS at the park, and don't think I can swing FS rentals at both places. That's a lot of money. Can we do either one of the beginner trails on a hard tail? It's a Roscoe 8.
    I can't speak for Sugar because their easier track is still under construction. However, I highly recommend recommend you guys reserve a lesson with an instructor at Beech. With a PMBI certified instructor you can safely work on the required skills to ride in a downhill environment. With the necessary skills in place you can then progress to basic manuevers like proper balancing, body positioning, braking, trail scanning, and line choice. Keep in mind that although a beginner downhill trail at Beech or Sugar will be easier than the other trails, it is still a downhill trail not a beginner trail like a greenway. A half day lesson will provide you with the fundamentals needed to safely progress and enjoy your time at the park. A hardtail is fine to bring for a lesson or to enjoy the beginner trail at Beech. Due to limited availability make sure to reserve tickets and a lesson in advance.

DFL
    I can't speak for Sugar because their easier track is still under construction. However, I highly recommend recommend you guys reserve a lesson with an instructor at Beech. With a PMBI certified instructor you can safely work on the required skills to ride in a downhill environment. With the necessary skills in place you can then progress to basic manuevers like proper balancing, body positioning, braking, trail scanning, and line choice. Keep in mind that although a beginner downhill trail at Beech or Sugar will be easier than the other trails, it is still a downhill trail not a beginner trail like a greenway. A half day lesson will provide you with the fundamentals needed to safely progress and enjoy your time at the park. A hardtail is fine to bring for a lesson or to enjoy the beginner trail at Beech. Due to limited availability make sure to reserve tickets and a lesson in advance.
    Thanks for the suggestion. We both have those basic skills down, my son raced NICA this year, and I've been riding for quite a few years. He also had a half day lesson by The Bike Farm in Dupont earlier this year. Neither of us have ridden in a "park" before though. Is there a Intermediate lesson that might be a little more advanced? As the NICA season progressed he became more and more comfortable with riding in general, including berms, downhills, switchbacks, etc. I want to make this a fun experience for him, but not push him too hard.

mtbr member
    askibum02, as a cat 2 sponsored mtb racer, I can say from experience to stick to green mamba, blue ridge rocks and bermese python trails at beech. One mistake on the pro track, black bear can end in an upset. I lost it riding that trail for the first time on the 2nd.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestion. We both have those basic skills down, my son raced NICA this year, and I've been riding for quite a few years. He also had a half day lesson by The Bike Farm in Dupont earlier this year. Neither of us have ridden in a "park" before though. Is there a Intermediate lesson that might be a little more advanced? As the NICA season progressed he became more and more comfortable with riding in general, including berms, downhills, switchbacks, etc. I want to make this a fun experience for him, but not push him too hard.
    We can absolutely do an intermediate lesson. Several of our instructors have years of experience riding and racing downhill, slalom, and enduro. If you feel that you would like a guided ride or more of a coaching experience we can do that too. Our whole goal this season is to provide all skill levels with an atmosphere and terrain conducive to safely progressing without pushing customers past their skill levels. Feel free to give us a call, email me [email protected], or you can book lessons online at www.beechmountainresort.com. Hope to see you out at the park!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Brad,

Got plans (and tickets) to be up this Saturday. Just curious, are any of the upper trails open other than Black Bear?

Thanks, and can't wait to (poorly) ride the goods!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Murderface View Post
    Brad,

Got plans (and tickets) to be up this Saturday. Just curious, are any of the upper trails open other than Black Bear?

Thanks, and can't wait to (poorly) ride the goods!
    Awesome, look forward to riding with you. The trail report is updated daily on the Trailforks app and our Facebook page. We have also integrated summer operations into our web page. That will go live next week. To answer your question directly here is the most current trail report:

Upper Trails:
    Green Mamba Upper-Closed (should be opened next weekend)
    Blue Ridge Rocks Upper-Open (with a reroute)
    Burmese Python Upper-Open (with a reroute)
    Black Bear Upper- Open (Old entrance and new entrances are both open)
    Lower Trails:
    Green Mamba Lower-Open
    Blue Ridge Rocks Lower-Open
    Burmese Python Lower-Open
    Heartbreaker-Closed
    Black Bear Lower-Open
    Hellbender-Open (step down by lift #5 is closed)

Check out Trailforks if you don't have it already. Physical trail maps are availible at Ski Beech Sports and there are also large maps displayed at the bottom and top of the shuttle points. Don't hesitate to ask any of our staff questions, that's what we are here for. Hope you have an awesome time on the trails!

mtbr member
    Starting this off now. Need a ride up to beech for the race. Would rather not ride 40.2 miles roundtrip, to and from for the 23rd and 24th, but will ride it with the hardtail if I have to.

Im in boone.

mtbr member
    Hey guys for anyone interested here is a course preview for the Downhill Southeast Round 4 this weekend at Beech. For more info and to register you can visit www.downhillsoutheast.com

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=icNLTZo5nt4

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

We the people ...

Just wanted to report in to say that Brad sucks (especially at bikes) and won't even allow drunken senior couples to park on private property near Oz. Trust me, he's not a good dude and doesn't want to see Beech and other resorts continue to expand lift/shuttle access in WNC

So yeah, big thanks to Brad for helping run a tight ship at Beech, and I thought the shuttle system worked quite well. Quite frankly, I was very happy to see a good rider crowd there on Saturday, and it was a nice mix of novices, old slow people like me and pinner groms. The trails were in good shape and you don't really miss much at all with the blue trail re-routes up top. My only real suggestion for the trail crew would be to consider making the "landers" for the first 2 hucks coming into the woods on upper Black Bear a little less, umm, "manly". As it stands now, you're landing on pretty jagged piles of rocks, but then again, I'm an old, insufferable poon, so there's probably skilled riders who don't mind sending it into that madness.

Anyway, come up to Beech and support the place that is really making an investment in gravity mountain biking in NC. Can't wait to check it out next year once the new lift is complete.

Race course looks rad too! I bet I could set a track record on that (does Strava award DFL trophies?)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Murderface View Post
    Just wanted to report in to say that Brad sucks (especially at bikes) and won't even allow drunken senior couples to park on private property near Oz. Trust me, he's not a good dude and doesn't want to see Beech and other resorts continue to expand lift/shuttle access in WNC

So yeah, big thanks to Brad for helping run a tight ship at Beech, and I thought the shuttle system worked quite well. Quite frankly, I was very happy to see a good rider crowd there on Saturday, and it was a nice mix of novices, old slow people like me and pinner groms. The trails were in good shape and you don't really miss much at all with the blue trail re-routes up top. My only real suggestion for the trail crew would be to consider making the "landers" for the first 2 hucks coming into the woods on upper Black Bear a little less, umm, "manly". As it stands now, you're landing on pretty jagged piles of rocks, but then again, I'm an old, insufferable poon, so there's probably skilled riders who don't mind sending it into that madness.

Anyway, come up to Beech and support the place that is really making an investment in gravity mountain biking in NC. Can't wait to check it out next year once the new lift is complete.

Race course looks rad too! I bet I could set a track record on that (does Strava award DFL trophies?)
    Thanks for the support! It's riders like you that make us tick so we will continue to improve and work hard to keep the trails dialed!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I am tentatively heading up to beech for the first time Sunday. Can't wait to check it out!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly Lee View Post
    I am tentatively heading up to beech for the first time Sunday. Can't wait to check it out!!
    Awesome. Just a heads up we have a DH race and tickets are very limited. If you don't mind dealing with racer traffic and want to watch some good racing come on up. If you would rather bang out laps it's probably best to come up on a different weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Awesome. Just a heads up we have a DH race and tickets are very limited. If you don't mind dealing with racer traffic and want to watch some good racing come on up. If you would rather bang out laps it's probably best to come up on a different weekend.
    Oh dang is the race all weekend? Are you guys only open on weekends? i'm wanting to do laps more than watch racers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly Lee View Post
    Oh dang is the race all weekend? Are you guys only open on weekends? i'm wanting to do laps more than watch racers.
    The Downhill Southeast Round4/finale is this weekend 6/23-6/24/18. Thursday and Friday will be business as usual (Friday will have a few racers pre-riding). Saturday will be very busy but all trails that have been open so far will be open. Sunday will be very busy until the race is over. Usually there is some time to ride the trails after the race on Sundays. During the race Lower Green Mamba from Summer down will be open to the public. All of the other trails will be closed so that we can ensure a safe event.
    We are open :
    Thursdays 12-6
    Fridays 10-6
    Saturdays 10-6
    Sundays 10-6
    *Monday Sept 3rd 10-6
    Our closing day is Monday September 3. All of our operational info is on our website www.beechmountainresort.com. For the race schedule you can check out our Facebook page and www.downhillsoutheast.com for more info.

mtbr member
    Hey guys our online trail report is now live for those of you that don't use Trailforks:

https://www.beechmountainresort.com/summer/trail-map/

mtbr member
    Needing a ride to beech mtn Saturday morning. Issues with the bike or Id ride the 4 hours. Gear display is broken and pedal spindle is shot/bent on the hardtail. Im in Boone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hey guys our online trail report is now live for those of you that don't use Trailforks:

https://www.beechmountainresort.com/summer/trail-map/
    Thanks for the continued updates Brad. Looking forward to escaping the Raleigh heat and checking out Beech Saturday and Sugar on Sunday this weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dba4life View Post
    Thanks for the continued updates Brad. Looking forward to escaping the Raleigh heat and checking out Beech Saturday and Sugar on Sunday this weekend.
    Awesome! That's the whole goal for cycling in our area: customers come up and ride at Beech one day and Sugar the next. Hope you have a great trip and let us know if you have any questions. Hope to see you on the trails!

mtbr member
    Hey guys just wanted to update everyone. Beech now has three shuttles so starting 6/30 we no longer have a ticket cap. We still urge you guys to purchase online so we can forecast how many riders to expect. Thanks!

DFL
    Went up Saturday and rode for the first time with my son and a friend. We had a blast! Right up to the point where I crashed. I was coasting down through the trail right before Burmese Python and Blue Ridge Rock splits, and my front tire washed out in the loose dirt. This is the result.
    IMG_2466 by Brett Valentine, on Flickr
    IMG_2473 by Brett Valentine, on Flickr

ER doc said it is just a soft tissue injury and it should heal fairly quickly. I'll be back once it does. I want to get back on the horse so to speak, and try again.

mtbr member
    Be careful man. Beech is tougher than rocky knob.....huge difference in how the bike handles and trails treat you depending on conditions. I will never underestimate Beech mtn; as I do with slick conditions at rocky knob. Slick conditions at beech is enough to make your bike drift/hook 60 degrees sideways at speed or grind your bike to almost a halt if you arent going fast enough.

Whereas RKP; I can handle dry and slick/muddy conditions no matter what at 15-25 mph.

mtbr member
    Went up Saturday and rode for the first time with my son and a friend. We had a blast! Right up to the point where I crashed. I was coasting down through the trail right before Burmese Python and Blue Ridge Rock splits, and my front tire washed out in the loose dirt. This is the result.
    IMG_2466 by Brett Valentine, on Flickr
    IMG_2473 by Brett Valentine, on Flickr

ER doc said it is just a soft tissue injury and it should heal fairly quickly. I'll be back once it does. I want to get back on the horse so to speak, and try again.
    Dang man sorry to hear that! I'm glad it wasn't anything too serious and wish you a fast recovery!

mtbr member
    pretty sure I saw you, ibum yesterday at Beech. I was in the EVS helmet riding the hardtail.

mtbr member
    Hey guys just a heads up regarding exciting events at Beech this July.

-This Saturday July 14th from 10am to 4pm Rossignol will be on site with a full lineup of bikes to demo. Requirements are a valid slope ticket plus a license and credit card. So come on out and try out some rad bikes! We are also having our second concert series of the summer featuring Trampled By Turtles. Ride bikes all day in the park then stay for the concert!

-All through July we are offering Yoga starting at 10:30 am both Saturdays and Sundays. If your wife is into Yoga and you are into bikes it's the perfect opportunity to talk her into a trip to Beech Mountain for the weekend.

-We have also partnered with Cane Creek! Now you can try out a DB coil or Helm air fork with the rental of either a Rossignol DH or Enduro bike. Cane Creek make awesome products assembled right here by hand in NC so come check them out! For more info visit us at www.beechmountainresort.com and make sure to visit Home - Cane Creek Cycling Components

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    What is the current status of the trails at Beech? Are all trails open or are some still closed?

mtbr member
    What is the current status of the trails at Beech? Are all trails open or are some still closed?
    Beech has 10 trails open. The only trail closed is Heartbreaker. You can also check the trail status on Trailforks. I also update the Bike Park trail report daily: https://www.beechmountainresort.com/summer/trail-map/
    Last edited by Sugar_Brad; 07-23-2018 at 07:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Planning on riding black bear again when Im at beech. It was fun and challenging....even though it was hell on my hardtail. Going to ride the gnarled heavy root section of blue ridge rocks too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Beech has 10 trails open. The only trail closed is Heartbreaker. You can also check the trail status on Trailforks. I also update the Bike Park trail report daily: https://www.beechmountainresort.com/summer/trail-map/
    Great, thanks!

loud hubs save lives
    Taking my trail bike ( relatively burly kona 111 with Anglest and CCDB ) to beech for the first time on Aug 11th. Any advice on tires? I swapped to a front DHF last night. Rear currently has on minion SS, but also have an aggressor i could put on.

Experienced rider, but first trip to dedicated park trails.

DFL
    I rode with a DHF/Aggressor Combo with good results last month.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sennaster View Post
    Taking my trail bike ( relatively burly kona 111 with Anglest and CCDB ) to beech for the first time on Aug 11th. Any advice on tires? I swapped to a front DHF last night. Rear currently has on minion SS, but also have an aggressor i could put on.

DHFs front and rear or Highroller 2s would be my choices if I ran Maxxis tires. What casings are you running? Double Downs with at least a rear insert (I prefer Cushcores) would be ideal. If you really want to get rowdy a DH casing wouldn't hurt.

mtbr member

Maxxis is top of the line. Its what alot of MX riders use. You definitely want the most grip possible. Atleast an Enduro or DH tire and with double down casing for safety. Speaking from experience, you dont want to try running hard and fast on Ikons or any trail tire. Im switching to better tires myself and Brads suggestions is correct. Minion DHR or DHF with double downs. The Aggressor is ok with hard pack and dry conditions; but the tread is a bit iffy for slick/muddy conditions; which seems to happen often at Beech.

Sadly, I have a race on the 11th....so wont be able to meet you sennaster...but have fun.

loud hubs save lives
    DHFs front and rear or Highroller 2s would be my choices if I ran Maxxis tires. What casings are you running? Double Downs with at least a rear insert (I prefer Cushcores) would be ideal. If you really want to get rowdy a DH casing wouldn't hurt.
    Maxxis is top of the line. Its what alot of MX riders use. You definitely want the most grip possible. Atleast an Enduro or DH tire and with double down casing for safety. Speaking from experience, you dont want to try running hard and fast on Ikons or any trail tire. Im switching to better tires myself and Brads suggestions is correct. Minion DHR or DHF with double downs. The Aggressor is ok with hard pack and dry conditions; but the tread is a bit iffy for slick/muddy conditions; which seems to happen often at Beech.

Sadly, I have a race on the 11th....so wont be able to meet you sennaster...but have fun.
    I rode with a DHF/Aggressor Combo with good results last month.
    Thanks. I definitely get the need for a burly setup and i always use EXO.

i already have a minionSS and an aggressor to choose from for the rear, so for a single day i was just going to swap if needed.

Front is a 3C DHF EXO. Guess Iíll cross fingers, take a spare tire and ride on.

DFL
    I have an 3C EXO on the front, but after cutting a sidewall at Uwharrie I put a DD on the rear this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Thanks. I definitely get the need for a burly setup and i always use EXO.

i already have a minionSS and an aggressor to choose from for the rear, so for a single day i was just going to swap if needed.

Front is a 3C DHF EXO. Guess Iíll cross fingers, take a spare tire and ride on.
    That should be fine for a weekend warrior type setup. You might want to add around 5 psi so you don't roll sidewalls in berms, especially if you are tubeless without inserts.

mtbr member
    Great, thanks!
    No problem happy to help. On that note just an FyI: Upper Green Mamba will be closed this weekend due to snowmaking upgrades. We tentatively plan on reopening it the following weekend. Trailforks and the Trail Reoprt on the Beech Mtn website have been updated.

loud hubs save lives
    That should be fine for a weekend warrior type setup. You might want to add around 5 psi so you don't roll sidewalls in berms, especially if you are tubeless without inserts.
    I think Iím going to totally this https://youtu.be/bCfRoxOBarw

Mostly because i think itís a fun experiment

Will call it HackNorris

loud hubs save lives
    I have an 3C EXO on the front, but after cutting a sidewall at Uwharrie I put a DD on the rear this time.

In all these years of riding rocky/rooty NC trails, Iíve only ever cut one tire, which was a Vittoria ... thatís why i tend to stick with maxxis EXO. Wearing down sidewalls until they weep is a different story.

mtbr member
    I think Iím going to totally this https://youtu.be/bCfRoxOBarw

Mostly because i think itís a fun experiment

Will call it HackNorris
    Cool, lots of guys I know are running some kind of home made insert. The home made systems ingest sealant pretty quick but seem to perform decently for the cost. We have tried every system with the exception of the European systems. We have had the best results from Cushcores.

DFL
    I was running about 24F and 26R with 2.5WT and 30mm rims. Seemed to do well, I didnít feel and squirm on Burmese Python or Lower Green Mamba.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    We have passes and a rental for tomorrow, what is the rule on the rain and trail conditions?

mtbr member
    No lightning, no problem!

mtbr member
    We have passes and a rental for tomorrow, what is the rule on the rain and trail conditions?
    The dirt is awesome despite the rain. Some wet spots but everything is running really well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Awesome, thanks folks!

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks folks!
    You can also switch your reservations to a different day if you like. You can email us at [email protected].

mtbr member
    I say ride anyway, Adodero. Its fun to get a bit sideways. Unless the trails are a mud bog and kill your speed, Id suggest taking the challenge of sliding a bit.

mtbr member
    I say ride anyway, Adodero. Its fun to get a bit sideways. Unless the trails are a mud bog and kill your speed, Id suggest taking the challenge of sliding a bit.
    Adodero is a well seasoned rider so he won't have any trouble. Today was a lot of fun and the dirt was like Velcro! The forecast is dryer for the weekend so hopefully the sun comes out for you fair weather folks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, Brad.

I know it's taboo most places, but I actually prefer riding in the wet. I find something peaceful about riding in the rain and wet. I was mainly asking for my wife, she has been trying to get back on the bike the last few months and this is her first trip to Beech since our first in 2015. We had just moved up from FL then and Beech was our first experience on a mountain, it was pretty intimidating and I had a few rough crashes, which still haunt me to this day (it takes a few runs for me to get the shakes out). So we are both coming in from a place of hesitancy, although her a lot more than me. One of the main reasons we wanted to come was so that I could work with her a bit on the greens and she could try out a different bike.

Unfortunately, our day today was short and I only managed 3 runs. I won't go into a lot of details but one of the guys in our group got pretty badly hurt. I only post it because the guys at Beech were really awesome, from the ski patrol dude that was riding with us to the folks (Brad included) that helped with a difficult extraction of the rider, they were really awesome and they were super professional. We managed to get him to his home hospital and he seems to be doing alright. I'm always proud of our community when things like this happen and how both riders and staff step up to help out.

The conditions were wetter than I was expecting in spots, we didn't really get to try Blue Ridge Rocks or lower Bermese Python this time around, but the upper Bermese and lower Green Mamba definitely had a few icky spots especially at the start of the day. It seemed to dry out pretty well quickly though and it wasn't unmanageable.

I'll also comment that the Rossignol bikes looked really cool. I wish I had the chance to try one out, my wife seemed to like it despite it being a bit "difficult to climb", but what can you expect from a 170mm plus bike? I think the only weird thing was the tire selection, it's a bit odd to see Nobby Nics on a 170mm enduro bike front & rear, they definitely seemed to have trouble in some places (although technique is probably a big factor here too), but they were interesting looking bikes that I don't normally see. .

mtbr member
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, Brad.

I know it's taboo most places, but I actually prefer riding in the wet. I find something peaceful about riding in the rain and wet. I was mainly asking for my wife, she has been trying to get back on the bike the last few months and this is her first trip to Beech since our first in 2015. We had just moved up from FL then and Beech was our first experience on a mountain, it was pretty intimidating and I had a few rough crashes, which still haunt me to this day (it takes a few runs for me to get the shakes out). So we are both coming in from a place of hesitancy, although her a lot more than me. One of the main reasons we wanted to come was so that I could work with her a bit on the greens and she could try out a different bike.

Unfortunately, our day today was short and I only managed 3 runs. I won't go into a lot of details but one of the guys in our group got pretty badly hurt. I only post it because the guys at Beech were really awesome, from the ski patrol dude that was riding with us to the folks (Brad included) that helped with a difficult extraction of the rider, they were really awesome and they were super professional. We managed to get him to his home hospital and he seems to be doing alright. I'm always proud of our community when things like this happen and how both riders and staff step up to help out.

The conditions were wetter than I was expecting in spots, we didn't really get to try Blue Ridge Rocks or lower Bermese Python this time around, but the upper Bermese and lower Green Mamba definitely had a few icky spots especially at the start of the day. It seemed to dry out pretty well quickly though and it wasn't unmanageable.

I'll also comment that the Rossignol bikes looked really cool. I wish I had the chance to try one out, my wife seemed to like it despite it being a bit "difficult to climb", but what can you expect from a 170mm plus bike? I think the only weird thing was the tire selection, it's a bit odd to see Nobby Nics on a 170mm enduro bike front & rear, they definitely seemed to have trouble in some places (although technique is probably a big factor here too), but they were interesting looking bikes that I don't normally see. .
    Thanks for coming up to support the park. It is very unfortunate that JM got hurt. He and I go way back to the bike shop days and he is one of the nicest people I have ever met. Healing vibes to him from all of us on staff!

Rossignol acquired Felt bicycles so they are very similar to the Felt lineup. I'm not a huge Shwalbe fan so we have been replacing the tires with Maxxis Minions as they wear out. So far the bikes have performed very well for our needs. 170 travel is probably overkill for a trail bike but they are perfect for the park and for checking out Emerald Outback. We are an official Cane Creek demo center so if you want to try a demo bike with a Helm make sure to check it out.

since 4/10/2009
    Rossignol acquired Felt bicycles so they are very similar to the Felt lineup.
    Now that is interesting. I used to work for a shop that sold Felt near the end of their run, apparently. Felt treated the shop like crap. They pulled some real dick moves while I worked there.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Now that is interesting. I used to work for a shop that sold Felt near the end of their run, apparently. Felt treated the shop like crap. They pulled some real dick moves while I worked there.

The only people I have talked to from Felt are the design engineers when I inquired about frame kinematics. I wanted an optimal mid-range setting that I was confident sending customers out on. For inside and outside sales and marketing I have been dealing with Rossignol reps. Everyone so far has been very helpful and professional for what it's worth.

since 4/10/2009
    The only people I have talked to from Felt are the design engineers when I inquired about frame kinematics. I wanted an optimal mid-range setting that I was confident sending customers out on. For inside and outside sales and marketing I have been dealing with Rossignol reps. Everyone so far has been very helpful and professional for what it's worth.
    Yeah, those folks were never the problem. Heh. Rossignol has been around for awhile, so hopefully they have it together regarding how they treat their dealers and customers.

mtbr member
    The whole dont ride on wet tracks can be debated. Its a test of skill and ability to ride in slick or muddy conditions. I know most want simple and easy. Even some of the people in my MX group have argued against dry, ideal simple and easy track/trail conditions.

Me on the other hand, Ill ride through a damn river if the race demands it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW_teHd2P4g

I ride in the mud now with The Hardtail or rental bike (Race/Confidence depedent).....and Ill do the same in MX when I get into it. Like the video shown above. So I agree with Adodero.

mtbr member
    The whole dont ride on wet tracks can be debated. Its a test of skill and ability to ride in slick or muddy conditions. I know most want simple and easy. Even some of the people in my MX group have argued against dry, ideal simple and easy track/trail conditions.

Me on the other hand, Ill ride through a damn river if the race demands it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW_teHd2P4g

I ride in the mud now with The Hardtail or rental bike (Race/Confidence depedent).....and Ill do the same in MX when I get into it. Like the video shown above. So I agree with Adodero.
    Beech Mtn Bike Park is privately owned so we can operate when it's muddy if we choose to. We have a trail crew that works full time every week. If we were talking about National Forest or public land then that's completely different. Under no circumstances should anyone advocate for riding on public land if trails will be damaged in the process.

mtbr member
    GNCCs are commonly done on trails that sometimes is going into national forest.

mtbr member
    Let's keep this thread focused on Beech Mtn Bike Park.

loud hubs save lives
    Let's keep this thread focused on Beech Mtn Bike Park.
    All the trails open ? Really looking forward to riding on Saturday.

mtbr member
    All the trails open ? Really looking forward to riding on Saturday.
    Heartbreaker is closed due to lift construction and will see a revamp for 2019. Our trail report is updated daily: https://www.beechmountainresort.com/summer/trail-map/

mtbr member
    We just finished building "Chamberlin's Gap"over summer Rd. Come check it out! You can access the feature from an early exit off of Upper Black Bear. Send it!

Beech Mountain Bike Park plan this summer?-img_20180816_171029_599.jpg
    Beech Mountain Bike Park plan this summer?-img_20180816_171029_597.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    That looks like a facefull of Summer Rd for me!

We're heading back up tomorrow, I saw on the enduro stages that the upper green would be part of the race, will it be open this weekend?

mtbr member
    That looks like a facefull of Summer Rd for me!

We're heading back up tomorrow, I saw on the enduro stages that the upper green would be part of the race, will it be open this weekend?
    Nah man the gap was engineered to be super smooth. 8' wide, 10' high, 23' long. You can hit it cruising speed all day and get into the landing no problem.

To answer your question: Upper Green Mamba will NOT be open this weekend. It's a very straightforward stage so no worries if you don't get time on it. If Eggers Construction doesn't have the LDH water line installed by this coming Wednesday we will use Upper Blue Ridge Rocks as stage 1. We will keep everyone updated and be as transparent as possible. Either way it's going to be a fun event!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    While it was not without incident, we enjoyed what will probably be our last trip up this season and look forward to next year. I regret we didn't come earlier in the season and more frequently, my wife seemed to progress really well with the upper blues and the lower green. Despite being slightly slower than the lift, the shuttle provided an unexpected social aspect of our time there that was kindof cool, it was neat having everyone together for those 10-15min and hearing about their time on the mountain, which I didn't feel happened as much on the lift.

Earlier this season, I was bummed out the new trail plans that seemed to have been made last year didn't pan out this year, but given the lift situation and when it broke this winter, totally understandable. It sounded like they are picking up where they left off this year, we're stoked to see what things are like next season and hopefully will be up more often next season esp with my wife getting more confident and our kid getting older.

mtbr member
    Glad you enjoyed the park Adodero. The shuttles have provided an opportunity to listen to what everyone thinks of the trails and ways to improve. Common suggestions are more wooden features, more jumps and a jump trail, and an easier beginner trail. We are working on it! Let there be bikes!

mtbr member
    Hey guys here is a sneak peek of the Enduro stages for this coming weekend. Our good friends at Meat Camp Media House did a rad little edit for us. Hope to see you at the race!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bmvao2Bn...=1og8cxmmmeqt9

mtbr member
    Nice!

Loving the Cane Creek Sender gap over the road.

Gonna be a good spot to spectate if thats allowed?
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Nice!

Loving the Cane Creek Sender gap over the road.

Gonna be a good spot to spectate if thats allowed?
    Absolutely! I will have 2 patrol/course officials stationed there to prevent any course interference if people get too rowdy. It's the showcase feature for stage 6 so the pro field will come through at roughly 11:30. If you don't want to park at the resort and hike all the way up you could park at the Emerald Outback trailhead across from Town Hall and walk up Skiloft Rd to Summer Rd.

mtbr member
    Hey guys here are the key points for the Enduro this Sat August 25th and Sunday August 26th for those of you that don't do social media:

-Saturday is a Pre-ride day. However you will need to purchase a slope ticket of you want to pre-ride resort stages. All resort stages will be taped Saturday. The resort is open to the public, but only trails we are using for the Enduro.
    -Sunday the resort is CLOSED to the public
    -Due to the complexity of the race, we are unable to do day of registration. So make sure to register online through bikereg!
    -6 total stages. Total distance is approximately 14 miles. 3 stages on the resort side, 3 stages on the Emerald Outback side.
    -Stages are:
    -1 Upper Blue Ridge Rocks (resort)
    -2 Oz Forest Run (Emerald)
    -3 Witch's Backbone (Emerald)
    -4 Westbowl Connector (Emerald)
    -5 Lower Blue Ridge Rocks, Hellbender (Resort)
    -6 Upper Black Bear, Chamberlin's Gap, Green Mamba, Black
    Bear, Green Mamba
    -All drops and features have go arounds
    -Stages 1 and 6 are uplift stages. Everything else is self supported.
    -Non USAC sanctioned, cost is $85 for Sport, $95 for Pro
    -We will be replaying the Les Bresse World Cup in the taproom so come on out and enjoy a fun weekend on two wheels!

mtbr member
    Only see 5 stages on the results for the Enduro, Brad. Also, anyone successfully clear the gap between the 18th and 26th On mtbr? I know I didn't. Injury ended my season. Anyone riding Beech this weekend or closing day?

mtbr member
    Only see 5 stages on the results for the Enduro, Brad. Also, anyone successfully clear the gap between the 18th and 26th On mtbr? I know I didn't. Injury ended my season. Anyone riding Beech this weekend or closing day?
    Jarret had a software glitch on Stage 1 so he dropped it. Everyone still rode the stage. Usually the Fly By timing works really well. He does an awesome job it was out of his control. I'm sure there were a few people on MTBR that raced the Enduro and hit Chamberlin's Gap on stage 6. Approximately 3/4 of the sport field hit it, and all of the pro field except for a few that tried to sneak beside it.

mtbr member
    Hey everyone just want to thank you for coming out and supporting Beech Bike Park this season! We have a lot of plans for 2019 and can't wait to share them with you. I'm already counting the days until Spring!

mtbr member
    When is beech opening for 2019? Hoping to get my new race bike by May.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    What'd you do to yourself?