Beech easy green trails?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Beech easy green trails?

What's some of the new ETD stuff like regarding green runs?

I figure: Have girlfriend. Girlfriend is a newish mtber. (Disclaimer: girlfriend is kicking arse and learning fast but still early) Love Beech. ETD is busy/done making Beech even better. Must make lots of Beech trips this season.

I figure I can ride with her at Kerr Scott one day and Beech another day. Ride some green runs with her...split off and do other runs...meet back with her again. Etc. Rocky Knob and Beech...another good weekend.

Maybe I'm pushing her too fast too.

mtbr member
    Yeah, bring her up. The upper half of the green trail got re-worked last year and the lower half will be re-worked by opening day. There is also a new blue run that will be a great "next step" for the less experienced rider but still fun for all levels.

Beech is investing a lot to accommodate a larger rider base.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    How much time does she have on longish and steepish descents?

You might consider getting her a lesson before she takes off on her own. Even though Beech isn't that steep by bike park standards, having good braking and body position practice goes a long way in offering confidence and control. It's a lot different than trails that are more up/down and most people their first time through don't have a lot of experience with handling descents of that length. If you ride in WNC regularly then it may not be an issue, but if you are coming from a place where the descents are short and trails are more up and down, it'll be different than she's used to.

Speaking from firsthand experience a bit, I wish when we went the first time after having only been riding a few months that I had done this with my wife.

mtbr member
    Also consider that a "beginner" DH trail is quite different than a "beginner" Mtn bike trail. Great advise to get a lesson. Quite a few first time or new MTN bikers take the lift up and get right back on it due to the nature of DH compared to trail. Quite helpful to have an instructor explain the basics. Also helpful to encourage beginners to not be intimidated by the bigger features that seem mandatory from a distance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Great responses. I think I will start prepping her here in the Triangle...there are actually places to go in the Triangle to prep. Take the class when we go to Beech...besides, it will be fun to take a class. Get her riding some greens and blues.

Thanks Mueller, very excited to see your crew's work! Been checking out your website and FB Beech work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dhouskee View Post

Thanks Mueller, very excited to see your crew's work! Been checking out your website and FB Beech work.
    Bottom line is any level rider will see a big increase in quality and quantity of available terrain this season. The new trails and segments are primarily geared toward intermediate-level riders but the greens and blacks are seeing major improvements and maintenance as well. We've also re-imagined the layout of the mountain to make better use of space and pack in as many new lines and features as possible. It will feel like a new park, and should be explored as such (look before you leap). I'm excited to show off the changes because we've been able to add more flow-oriented features but not at the cost of the original technical trails. Both sides of the DH experience have been maintained and celebrated.

We are also working with the resort to make big improvements to the signage, maps, and general operations of the park. I hope the riders will show up in big numbers to support this investment by the resort!

mtbr member
    Thank you guys for all the hard work!

Ski during the off-season
    Quote Originally Posted by dhouskee View Post
    Take the class when we go to Beech...besides, it will be fun to take a class.
    Will second (or maybe third ;- ) taking a class at Beech. I took a half day lesson at Beech 2 seasons back, and it was one of the best investments for the weekends I was there. There are definitely differences between downhill and cross country riding which you do not appreciate until someone points them out, and I have used some of the skills I picked up even in MTB'ing in Charlotte.

More importantly, after being with my girlfriend and then wife for a couple of decades and doing various sports, I have learned that she enjoys the activity better if she has lessons, and we do much better when someone else is teaching her. I am there to say how much she has improved while someone else is there to provide skill enhancement recommendations and critics.

Free relation advice... ;-)