Beach trip recommendations - camping, wave runner and paddleboard rentals- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Beach trip recommendations - camping, wave runner and paddleboard rentals

I'm hoping to make a weekend trip to the beach this month. I'd like to spend some time on the water either paddleboarding, on a wave runner or on a boat.
    Here's what I'm thinking for an itinerary:

Day 1: Drive out to Beaufort. Are there any places to rent paddleboards or wave runners? Ferry over to the core banks. Explore shackleford banks. Camp for the night.

Day 2: Drive down to Carolina Beach. Are there anythings worth checking out on the drive from Beaufort to Carolina Beach? Rent a paddleboard and explore Zeke's Island Reserve.

Are there any other cool islands or inlets to check out assuming I can find a rental shop to get out on the water?

Also, my family may come with me or meet up with me, so any recommendations for something my toddler would like or places to stay?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    Day 1: Drive out to Beaufort. Are there any places to rent paddleboards or wave runners? Ferry over to the core banks. Explore shackleford banks. Camp for the night.
    My wife & I spent an extended weekend in this area a couple weeks back.

Beaufort: We ate at Spouter's Inn on the water front. It had a decent lunch menu, with great bakery options for dessert. We toured the Maritime Museum (Free) & it was pretty cool. They do have boat tours and Ferries from the marina. I do remember seeing rentals for paddleboards/kayaks, etc. I believe I remember seeing jet skis for rent as well.

Atlantic Beach: We toured Fort Macon, which had a very nice display with at your own pace info rooms w/ recorded information.

Cape Lookout: We drove out the Harker's Island to catch the ferry to Cape Lookout. This was probably ~15-20 minute dedicated ferry that ran about every 30 minutes. Ferry went past Shack Banks & we got to see the wild horses swimming & grazing. Nice isolated beach at Cape Lookout. The lighthouse is open on some days. Restrooms, water, gift shop are out there as well.

Hope yall have a good trip
    ~Kirby

***EDIT***: We also rode the ferry with a couple back to the mainland. They had taken the ferry to Cape Lookout earlier in the weekend & camped out there (Obviously primitive backpacking camping). Returned back on the ferry when they were done

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the reply. I camped on the core banks a couple of times but haven't been there in years. That's good to know they have paddleboard rentals and possibly wave runners at the marina. I'll give them a call to find out.

I'm guessing Carolina Beach must have a place to rent paddleboards too. Looks like Pleasure Island Rentals does paddleboard tours -- hopefully they rent them too