Beach Mountains new bike park and race?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Beach Mountains new bike park and race?

Has anyone rode the new trails that beach mountain has? They are having a couple races this summer and I cant find any real info on the trails other than whats on the web site. What type they are or how long? How would they compair to Sugars downhill course?
    I plan to be in the area early July and have planed to to most riding on sugar. I may also drive down to Kitsuma one day. Im glad to see beach opened a park. I did hear a rumor that Hawksnest was working on some trails also. Any info on the new park would be great.
    Thanks

spec4life???..smh...
    Hawksnest has several trails completed and are having races coming up..

not sure about BEECH Mountian..

mtbr member
    Have you been able to ride the Hawksnest trails? I remember hearing they have some trails but they were only open to racers during races only and not to the public. They don't have anything on their web site.

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    Quote Originally Posted by spec4life
    Hawksnest has several trails completed and are having races coming up..

not sure about BEECH Mountian..
    Beech MOUNTAIN
    I read that on the internet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The trails are only open for the race so come on out! Tons of runs all day long are no doubt going to happen! It's a race but the atmosphere is laid back and full of fun and good people!

spec4life???..smh...
    Quote Originally Posted by 40hills
    Beech MOUNTAIN

did that on purpose...

mtbr member
    What are the dates on the hawksnest race?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geinsteder
    What are the dates on the hawksnest race?

Race #1 June 5-6
    2nd annual Dirty Bird DH race Aug 21-22
    Hawk-o-ween Oct 30-31

Unfortunately we have not been able to come to an agreement with the mountain concerning public access to the trails on non-race weekends. We are still keeping our fingers crossed that this will eventually become a reality in one form or another.

Hawksnest, Sugar, and Beech all have some amazing DH tracks. Hawksnest is geared towards riders of all abilities, but offers just about any challenge you can imagine. A rider that can handle tight corners and jumps, but is also comfortable carrying speed through rocks and roots will excel here. A truly western NC/pisgah-inspired DH track. Hawksnest is shorter and steeper than the other mountains, so winning a race here is all about carrying speed through the entire track and minimizing mistakes. Lots of flow.

Sugar mountain has a great DH track...much more "traditional" than hawksnest. The lines here are straight, wide, and very very rocky. Some sections are pretty intimidating. A rider with good fitness and the ability to find fast/smooth lines through burly terrain excels here.

Beech mountain is a unique DH track. I would consider it somewhere in between sugar's track and hawksnest's. It isn't as rocky or straight as Sugar, but isn't as bermy/flowy as Hawksnest. Some sections are very steep and off camber, with a few burly jumps/drops for the big boys. Treacherous when wet for sure.

In short, Hawksnest is a finesse rider's track, Sugar is for rock bashing fun, and Beech is somewhere in between. All 3 are certainly worth checking out. I don't believe Beech is open to the public fyi. Sugar used to open its lifts on the weekends in the summer, not sure if that's still going on.

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    You can call Beech Mountain and talk to the operator to get more info on their race dates. There are no OPEN ACCESS trails there, only for race weekends. Beech ran the quad lift at the last event. The girl was polite when I spoke with her last weekend.

www.skibeech.com
    I am not a "Role Model"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/35512008

it may not interest you - however - beech mtn has some new old (yes i typed that) xc trails going on. this ~6mile loop is possibly better clockwise rather than counterclockwise (the way i rode it wednesday). daniel and rory are doing a great job up there and hope to have the trails marked and ready to go.

p.s. we came across a ~200-300lbs bear so some bear spray may be a good idea. just saying.

Pirate Race Productions
    Apr 2005
    You didn't tell me about the bear

mtbr member
    hey stack you remember that one we ran into last year?It's funny because you didn't believe me why I carry oc-10 pepper spray lol. So far in Wilson's I have sprayed 2 dogs(1 pitbull,1 german shepherd) and 1 yearling black bear. Sorry I missed you wednesday Joseph we will get together soon.
    And as far as Beech goes the dh races will be on saturdays via lees mcrae and slalom on sundays (slalom course behind the soccer fields). No word on bringing the showdown at sugar back...

Pirate Race Productions
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad
    hey stack you remember that one we ran into last year?It's funny because you didn't believe me why I carry oc-10 pepper spray lol.
    What I expressed was not disbelief, as in, "do you really need bear spray?" it was shocked disbelief, as in, "holy crp! you need fkng bear spray?" you confusion is understandable: my Yankee city boy accent is even harder to understand when it's muffled by my carpetbag.

That said, the loop up there us rad, I'm heading out tomorrow, so is broseph. Also, they've got a preliminary map done, and have ordered trail markers. Expect some killer events next summer.

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    Dates and times just announced over on www.ridemonkey.com/forums . Click on "The South" forum. Aww...here is the link:

http://ridemonkey.com/forums/showthr...=231827&page=4

post #46.
    I am not a "Role Model"

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The Beech Mountain Downhill Series will be racing July 10-11, August 7-8, September 11-12, Saturday Downhill at Beech Mountain followed by Sunday Dual Slalom at the Lees-McRae Track. Races will be USAC sanctioned. Entry Fee for DH is going to be $40 for Cat1/2/3, $45 for Pro. Slalom entry fee is $30 for Cat1/2/3, Entry fee for pro is $35. The first race will be on the triple crown finals track which is being cleaned up and improved to have it running even better than before. Yes you can just enter one event, or both. There will be a series points for both slalom and DH individually, along with a combined points for riders entering both DH and Slalom. Registration will open at 8:00 a.m. with practice starting at 8:30 for both events, Downhill race starts at 2:00 p.m. Slalom qualifying at 12:30, racing at 1 p.m.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Are the trails open to ride on non-race weekends?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    as of now the only trails open on non-race weekends are XC trails that joseph posted a garmin loop for. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/35512008

mtbr member
    May 2010
    thanks

mtbr member
    Me and my friend were looking forward to riding at Beech July 4th weekend, but it sounds like the downhill trails/ bike park(?) won't be open? My friend called Beech earlier this week and the guy working the desk didn't know anything about mountain biking, which I thought was strange since THAT'S THE ONLY THING GOING ON THERE IN THE SUMMER...
    Is Sugar open to the public if riding at Beech happens to not happen?
    "Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." -Mark Twain

Pirate Race Productions
    Apr 2005
    The contact point for the Beech Mountain downhill stuff is going to be coaching staff at Lees-McRae and the folks at Dirty Bird Productions. For info about XC and trail riding, call to the Beech Mountain Rec Department, or contact me at Pirate Race Productions.

Your exasperation about Beech Mountain not more seriously embracing biking is understandable. I spent some quality time yesterday sitting down with the Tourism Development folks up there helping them to understand the value of cycling. If you head up to ride, pop your head in at the Visitor's Center next to town hall (which is where the XC trailhead will be) and mention why you are in town. FYI - they've got free wifi and bottled water, and nice, clean bathrooms. Same goes if you spend any money while you are in town. Fred's Mercantile, just past Town Hall and before Ski Beech, has a great deli downstairs, and is owned by a pretty avid cyclist).

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    You can contact me at [email protected] regarding Beech Mountain Downhill. The mountain is not currently open to the public, but we're working on the possibility of a few days in the future.

mtbr member
    Hey JD sugar is starting the summer lift season beginning this friday, saturday and sunday. Lift rides are $22 for all day and open to the public through the first weekend in september. I will be there saturday afternoon after a wilson ride maybe we will bump into you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    PREREGISTER AND SAVE!

Downhill pre-registration link - http://www.bikereg.com/events/regist...?eventid=11255

Dual Slalom pre-registration link - http://www.bikereg.com/events/regist...?eventid=11256

race day registration is going to be +$5

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Some of the Dirty Bird Race Productions crew was on the mountain today and we gave it some love and care in order to get it ready for the race next weekend!

yeah, uh............bikes
    Damn, as much as i hated that off camber section, i'm now sad to see that it's been shaved.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    After the damage the earlier races and this past winter did to it, something had to be done! It's awesome now and makes the trail flow so much better! You'll love it when you get up here, guaranteed

ChiliPepper1
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyBirdRaceProductions
    Race #1 June 5-6
    2nd annual Dirty Bird DH race Aug 21-22
    Hawk-o-ween Oct 30-31

Unfortunately we have not been able to come to an agreement with the mountain concerning public access to the trails on non-race weekends. We are still keeping our fingers crossed that this will eventually become a reality in one form or another.

Hawksnest, Sugar, and Beech all have some amazing DH tracks. Hawksnest is geared towards riders of all abilities, but offers just about any challenge you can imagine. A rider that can handle tight corners and jumps, but is also comfortable carrying speed through rocks and roots will excel here. A truly western NC/pisgah-inspired DH track. Hawksnest is shorter and steeper than the other mountains, so winning a race here is all about carrying speed through the entire track and minimizing mistakes. Lots of flow.

Sugar mountain has a great DH track...much more "traditional" than hawksnest. The lines here are straight, wide, and very very rocky. Some sections are pretty intimidating. A rider with good fitness and the ability to find fast/smooth lines through burly terrain excels here.

Beech mountain is a unique DH track. I would consider it somewhere in between sugar's track and hawksnest's. It isn't as rocky or straight as Sugar, but isn't as bermy/flowy as Hawksnest. Some sections are very steep and off camber, with a few burly jumps/drops for the big boys. Treacherous when wet for sure.

In short, Hawksnest is a finesse rider's track, Sugar is for rock bashing fun, and Beech is somewhere in between. All 3 are certainly worth checking out. I don't believe Beech is open to the public fyi. Sugar used to open its lifts on the weekends in the summer, not sure if that's still going on.
    Thanks for that valuable info on those three rides! Will be moving to the Asheville area by late spring next year and needed to know about the DH/FR possibilities. Though all the AM trails are a blessing as well.

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    The artist formerly none as "poop shoot" no more.
    I am not a "Role Model"

mtbr member
    I did a XC race there about 15 years ago and swore I would never do that course again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Race #2 is quickly approaching (Aug 7th DH, Aug 8 DS)....be ready to learn some new lines on some new trail!

Pirate Race Productions
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpy1
    I did a XC race there about 15 years ago and swore I would never do that course again.
    I don't know what it looked like then, but you should come back up and check it out - its a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    August 7-8 Downhill and Dual Slalom #2 will be going down!

Look for brand new trail at Beech Mountain for race #2
    -new rocks, new drops, new berms
    --pictures/video coming soon!

Pre-register on www.bikereg.com to be sure to save the $5 day-of registration fee!

Members who have read this thread: 0