Based in Elon and Durham for 2 days, riding recommendations?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Based in Elon and Durham for 2 days, riding recommendations?

Hey everyone,

I am down in North Carolina visiting my girlfriend's friend, and am hoping to do some riding while I'm here. I'm looking for more all-mountain/enduro riding, jumps, berms, rocky techy stuff, etc. Planning on getting away for a half-day or full-day ride, so I'm cool with an hour or two of driving. We'll be in Elon, and maybe Durham as well. What's the best riding to check out?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Look into San Lee park in Sanford. Also, New Light trail in Raleigh. There are closer trails in the Durham and Chapel Hill area but don't think they are as good of a fit for what you are looking for.

If you haven't already, check out trianglemtb.com for more info.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Excellent. Thanks for the advice! Are you talking about the New Light trails with Sig's, Way In Way Out, etc? Trying to map stuff on Trailforks.

Raleigh
    tarheel03 nailed it...

San Lee has the best combination of goods in the area; 1) gravity park for jumps, and plenty of berms, and 2) singletrack trails with plenty of rocky goodness.

New Light is next up (if you can't hit San Lee). It's a raw singletrack trail that will make you work. It's a bit up/down, some punchy climbs. No real berms to speak of but there's one janky gap. I hit NL this past Sat. Check this Strava link for the "short loop" -
    2019 Salsa Cutthroat Rival 1
    2017 Santa Cruz TB3 CS

https://www.strava.com/athletes/11152127

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TheArbez View Post
    Excellent. Thanks for the advice! Are you talking about the New Light trails with Sig's, Way In Way Out, etc? Trying to map stuff on Trailforks.
    I don't use Trailforks but that's probably it. Woodchips Strava link is the main loop. There is another small loop that can be hit too.. here's a recent ride of mine which includes it.. https://strava.app.link/YMlKxLv3RW

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by woodchips View Post
    tarheel03 nailed it...

San Lee has the best combination of goods in the area; 1) gravity park for jumps, and plenty of berms, and 2) singletrack trails with plenty of rocky goodness.

New Light is next up (if you can't hit San Lee). It's a raw singletrack trail that will make you work. It's a bit up/down, some punchy climbs. No real berms to speak of but there's one janky gap. I hit NL this past Sat. Check this Strava link for the "short loop" -
    I haven't been out to NL in a couple of months (hoping to go this week), but there use to be 5 gaps of various sizes. The old bridge gap (probably the janky one you reference), the marbles gap, the trunks gap, the rock step down and the rock double. At least that's my name for them. The old bridge gap is the biggest by far. Just no-brake in from the top of the hill and you don't really even need to pop it.

Both San Lee and NL are great suggestions. San Lee is really easy to navigate and has really good signage. You can ride the whole trail or just hit the gravity park. I'd recommend the whole trail with several laps in the GP. There are awesome features and some jumps, berms, etc scattered throughout the whole trail. NL is a little harder to navigate. There are a couple of places where you might take a wrong turn or miss the trail due to some logging years back. A lot of folks mistakenly ride it clockwise as it is easy to miss the counterclockwise trailhead if you are at the bottom of the lot. CCW is the direction you want to go to hit the gaps.

If you are around sunday morning, there is a good group that ride NL at 9:30am.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I ended up checking out San-Lee. Didn't have time or energy (that heat and humidity killed my Northeast legs) to finish it all, but it was awesome in there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Great, glad you enjoyed it. This time of year, I try to start my rides by 8am before it gets too hot. Unfortunately, no avoiding the humidity.